Caveman 2 Cosmos

Yes you should be able to.

Your initial load will take some time to load up. So have patience even when it looks like it has disappeared after you have selected Caveman2Cosmos from the Mod list in BtS.

You should Not try to set up the Mod with a Big sized map(Huge or Giant) nor more than 8 or 9 AI for your Initial go. Same for Victory conditions, Mastery is Not recommended for 1st time play. Simple set like Domination, Research, and/or Cutlure or Religious.

Do not start the game with Revolutions, Barb Civ, or Start as Minors turn On. Keep your Game set up Options small on the 1st go.

Your processor@2.3Ghz is your only limiting factor. Even though it is an i7 3rd or 4th gen cpu, Caveman2Cosmos (C2C for short) has only a single thread 32 bit game engine.

I would also suggest your initial game speed setting be on Epic (2,000 turns) or Marathon (3,000 turns).

This should get your feet wet for this mod.

And Welcome to C2C! :)

JosEPh

Thanks for your reply.

I think my CPU can run as fast as 3.3Ghz with TurboBoost, but I'm not sure if it would be wise to run at that speed for a sustained period of time.

I already play on the Huge map with vanilla BTS with no issues, so how does that bode for running C2C with a huge/giant map?

Thanks for your reply.

I think my CPU can run as fast as 3.3Ghz with TurboBoost, but I'm not sure if it would be wise to run at that speed for a sustained period of time.

I already play on the Huge map with vanilla BTS with no issues, so how does that bode for running C2C with a huge/giant map?

As I posted not a good idea to start with a Huge or Giant map.

Try a large or standard map 1st, as Our maps have much more Terrains, Features and resources that vanilla BtS.

JosEPh

Thanks for your reply.

I agree i have turbo-boost on my PC also, and i recommend not to play more than 2 hours straight in that mode . . ., but if u want to continue, just stop after 2 hours, restart ur PC then continue again for another 2 hours etc etc . . it works great that way, well not great but decent, as long as u as Joe suggested not on a map larger than LARGE and less than 9 civs . . . IMPO

First off, I love this mod, it really improves this game immensely.
The only problem I'm having right now are constant OOS errors.
I'm playing with my wife and after the first ~ 400 turns, we're constantly (every 4-8 turns) bombarded with an Out of Sync error.
We've already disabled the random events and enabled the logs before starting the game. It seems the only differences are that the city name of certain units get displayed in one log but not the other (which shouldn't be a problem, right?)
and the amount of wood available to one of the AI players is different

Wife's log:
Player 7, Wood, Number Available: 8
Player 7, Wood, Import: 0
Player 7, Wood, Export: 0

My log:
Player 7, Wood, Number Available: 7

(I compared the OOS logs via notepadd++ and those are the only differences I can find)
Is there anyway around this problem, anything I can post here to help someone help me or any helpful tips/hints so i can continue to enjoy this mod?

Attachments

• OOS-logs.rar
    524.9 KB · Views: 53
First off, I love this mod, it really improves this game immensely.
The only problem I'm having right now are constant OOS errors.
I'm playing with my wife and after the first ~ 400 turns, we're constantly (every 4-8 turns) bombarded with an Out of Sync error.
We've already disabled the random events and enabled the logs before starting the game. It seems the only differences are that the city name of certain units get displayed in one log but not the other (which shouldn't be a problem, right?)
and the amount of wood available to one of the AI players is different

Wife's log:
Player 7, Wood, Number Available: 8

My log:
Player 7, Wood, Number Available: 7

(I compared the OOS logs via notepadd++ and those are the only differences I can find)
Is there anyway around this problem, anything I can post here to help someone help me or any helpful tips/hints so i can continue to enjoy this mod?
Make sure all your options, bug options and everything, are completely the same. This strikes me as a potential issue with the option that gets your workers to stop before they complete the task... something chop if I recall.

Could also be the difference comes from a building - on one system the building was built but on another it wasn't. This would suggest that the multithreading is causing trouble still... perhaps go into the globals file and take all the Threading bools and turn them to 0 and any threading integers and turn them to 1.

These are almost impossible to debug for others but there are significant notes to players in the multiplayer bug thread to read that may help to sort it out for you. At some point soon I hope to be able to play an MP game and debug out all OOS errors as I go. I've done this before but there's probably more now to work on and I know I hadn't gotten all of them then.

@TB does the player function canEverResearch() take into account prerequisite buildings?

The new Tech Tree screen we use is mostly Platyping's code and that function is used to determine if a tech should be shown when the "hide techs that can't be researched" button is off.

@TB does the player function canEverResearch() take into account prerequisite buildings?

The new Tech Tree screen we use is mostly Platyping's code and that function is used to determine if a tech should be shown when the "hide techs that can't be researched" button is off.

I'll look into it tonight for ya. I take it you're needing it to take it into account if it doesn't already right?

I'll look into it tonight for ya. I take it you're needing it to take it into account if it doesn't already right?

Yes. If it doesn't then the tech tree is not displaying correctly. I think it is because the Concrete tech is not showing up when you don't have the building but I have not been able to check that the tech does show up when you have the building yet.

There is a problem with that function away because if you can't research tech A and tech B requires, must have, tech A then B is showing as you can research it when you should not. At least if we want some dynamic branches;). This is not important at the moment because we don't have such branches yet.

Yes. If it doesn't then the tech tree is not displaying correctly. I think it is because the Concrete tech is not showing up when you don't have the building but I have not been able to check that the tech does show up when you have the building yet.

There is a problem with that function away because if you can't research tech A and tech B requires, must have, tech A then B is showing as you can research it when you should not. At least if we want some dynamic branches;). This is not important at the moment because we don't have such branches yet.

I think the function takes that into consideration. Interesting point on the second paragraph. Will chew on that for a minute and see what can be done there.

I installed the latest version and I am afraid that I'm getting a ton of xml errors. The files its looking for definitely do not exist.

I did not have an old version and there's a bunch of files in there but not the ones that its complaining about ( clearly ). Like the splash screen will load and it seems to be alot of optional files.

I did not have an old version and there's a bunch of files in there but not the ones that its complaining about ( clearly ). Like the splash screen will load and it seems to be alot of optional files.

pic, pls . .

Do you have "Blue Marble" or "BUG" installed as Custom Assets?

In the Caveman2Cosmos.ini file in the Caveman2Cosmos folder check that you have
Code:
; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 1

Alright, i'll list the missing files after a fresh install....
moreciv4lerts options.xml
terrain_civ4gametext.xml as a failed loadxml in moreciv4lerts options.xml
io error in strategy overlay options.xml / can't be found
a load xmlcall for the same in bug_civ4gametext.xml
can't find moreciv4lerts_civ4gametext.xml
bug_civ4gametext.xml

the list goes on, even in unit naming an dmore gametext files
the bug main interface failed
mapfinder options.xml
eventsigns options.xml

Do you have "Blue Marble" or "BUG" installed as Custom Assets?

In the Caveman2Cosmos.ini file in the Caveman2Cosmos folder check that you have
Code:
; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 1

Am I not supposed to have bug in custom assets? The whole thing is confusing and I've been trying to figure out why realism invictis wont properly have the border control / hunting buttons like it used to.

Alright, i'll list the missing files after a fresh install....
moreciv4lerts options.xml
terrain_civ4gametext.xml as a failed loadxml in moreciv4lerts options.xml
io error in strategy overlay options.xml / can't be found
a load xmlcall for the same in bug_civ4gametext.xml
can't find moreciv4lerts_civ4gametext.xml
bug_civ4gametext.xml

the list goes on, even in unit naming an dmore gametext files
the bug main interface failed
mapfinder options.xml
eventsigns options.xml

That is the sort of thing that can be caused in 2 ways, see my previous post for one and run the game as administrator would fix the other.

Top Bottom