[CIV 5 Issues] - The complete list

You do know units can pass through other units as long as the tile on the other side is free, right? Also the whole point of a choke point is to limit movement, and yes it can get annoying, but what can I say, its a choke point! Also in you scenario a warrior/worker can share a tile, another unit can still pass through. It takes some managing, but it really isnt that big a deal, plus a worker takes a few turns to build a road/improvement then hes gone.

If it's a hill or a forest or something that hogs 1 turn then you can't pass through it while a unit of the same type is on it. I've had to do all sorts of manouvering to get units where I want them to go which distracts from the game play.

Anyway, another point:

Automated workers decide to swap continents whenever something needs done - they disappear for about 10 turns before popping up somewhere else to finish a mine. Not a huge issue until they start getting munched by enemies and barbarians while mid sea.

I don't like the fact that I need to be in a game to access the civilopedia, it should be accessible from main menu.

If it's a hill or a forest or something that hogs 1 turn then you can't pass through it while a unit of the same type is on it. I've had to do all sorts of manouvering to get units where I want them to go which distracts from the game play.

Anyway, another point:

Automated workers decide to swap continents whenever something needs done - they disappear for about 10 turns before popping up somewhere else to finish a mine. Not a huge issue until they start getting munched by enemies and barbarians while mid sea.

This is true, but like I said it is a choke point. Your only going to have a worker working on that tile for x amount of turns, and after that hes gone. If your have to constently send workers back and forth, then build more workers. I have so many workers by early mid game I have to put half of them on sleep. To me this is a none issue, and Ill gladly take a few turns of management for !upt/chokepoints.

The game seriously needs to have dim, semi-transparent tield yields for all unworked tiles.

1. It will make the map look less awful & cluttered with tile yields turned on.
2. It will make seeing which tiles are being worked very easy as those would be bright and opaque.

That one change alone would alleviate alot my grievances with managing my citizens.

Thx for clearing up stuff, I'll get rid of everything that's proven to be wrong!

As a reminder: This list is not my speech, it's just copy and pasted from all those many scattered threads in this forum.

It's not a bad recap of all concerns but I guess you mixed up legitimate gameplay concerns such as really bad civilopedia, not enough information, vague diplomacy etc. with "I'm so disappointed that it not Civ IV" for example:
* No Hamlets
* No Random Events
* No cheering when you upgrade your unit. (really?)
* etc.
It is a new game and some of its mechanics had to change (like hamlets and slower production) so I think you should separate game breaking issues from those very subjective opinions about changed mechanics and minor changes (no wonders production animations, no loading bar).

The diplomacy in the game either needs to be more deterministic, or needs to appear that way to players. For the most part, the AIs in the game seems to bounce between happy and unhappy with no real perceivable reason for doung so. Perhaps the issue is Pacts of Secrecy, which I can only assume is what is causing the AI to go fron "Happy" to "I'm cancelling every deal we have, one turn at a time."

No "Build trade network" automate option for workers. In Civ4 middle to late game I had no time to look around and check which ones are connected and which ones are not and which ones aren't improved at all. This option was very useful. Here the worker could run around automatically building appropriate improvements over the strategic/luxury resources (without building roads or touching non-strategic non-luxury resources).

No "Build trade network" automate option for workers. In Civ4 middle to late game I had no time to look around and check which ones are connected and which ones are not and which ones aren't improved at all. This option was very useful. Here the worker could run around automatically building appropriate improvements over the strategic/luxury resources (without building roads or touching non-strategic non-luxury resources).

Something like this would be very nice. When you aquire railroad it can be pretty tedious to micromanage your workers to improve all the roads.

I think there's no "build trade network" option because roads cost maintenance and so building them all over the place will do more harm than good. What's more is that you don't need to connect resources to your cities by road in order to get access to them.

I do not agree with every suggestion on this list. But I agree with many of them. Some of the items on the list are of the order of 'Civ5 is different than civ4! Change it back'. Nah, it's a different game.

But I agree with a great many points on the list. The game is way too sloppy. Many features that civ4 had were simply taken out. Such as shift-click to queue stuff. There is absolutely no reason at all to take this out, except sloppyness.

The game has awesome potentional, it has some very very strong points, but it is very sloppy and buggy. In itself I can live with that, if it's patched within the first few months. If they just think "we've got our money, :):):):) support" then this game will never be good.

Oh an I want to add one annoyance
- Allow me to view the civilopedia from the main menu! I want to be able to look at UUs and stuff before chosing a civ!

Quickload (F12) doesn't work from the main screen.

Most of the time I load civ5, I immediately want to load last quicksave.

*Units on Auto-Explore seem to be trespass happy

I agree with most of this with a few exceptions

* Civ4 had Combat 1. Now we have Shock and Drill. Now I have to pay attention to what little tile my opponent is under to figure out what promotion I want to get; not fun.

I disagree I think paying attention is better, I like the fact that some units are better on some terrain and I don't think its cumbersome at all. Combat especially in the modern era is so much better in Civ V than IV imo.

*No Hamlets
Hamlets was an important tile improvement in CIV IV as the primary commerce provider. But its greatest strength is that over time it evolves into a cottage, a village and ultimately a town, encouraging players to build them early to reap the benefits.
In CIV 5 hamlet is replaced by "trading post" which has a MUCH uglier model and does not evolve.

If we are talking about graphics then I agree I would like to see it evolve. However the mechanics are much different and an old style more gold as it goes would be broken in this game. Change the graphics but not the mechanics of this.

I also want to add my top 5 annoyances in no particular order. (all of which are already in the list)

Not being able to mouse over a worker and see how long he has left to build something
Not being able to see how many HP's a unit has
No Wait command for units
Not being able to name units
Buggy worker automation

I would also like to add

I would like a command to awaken all of my units
Also an upgrade all command would be nice

This may or may not be a repeat, didn't find it in a quick search.

On the Military Overview (F3), click or doubleclicking a unit neither shows you where the unit is nor selects it.

I've had great trouble finding some units in large empires when I've put them to sleep. Why wouldn't this at least select the unit, so when you close the Military Overview you can at least center on the unit? (... or allow you to select multiple units to move them all, etc.)

I think this should be made a sticky and updated regularly

I disagree. The problem with "annoyances" are that some are legit and something many (including me) will agree with, but a lot of it is very much personal preference (and I completely disagree with some of it). For ex, everything having to do with art style, UI element sizes, etc, is completely personal preference. I happen to like the UI aside from some missing info.

I think there's plenty about Civ 5 that could be tweaked but I'd prioritize things that are broken or missing and worry less about any given player's personal preferences. This is not Civ 4.5 - some things will never be the same.

* Civ4 had Combat 1. Now we have Shock and Drill. Now I have to pay attention to what little tile my opponent is under to figure out what promotion I want to get; not fun.

Combat line is generic and most people would just pick that and make promotions pointless. NOT having it forces strategic decisions and leads to using units strategically. It's intentional and I like the change.

Railroads don't need to be unbroken to give production bonus.

The Civilopedia is vague over features and bonuses that elements give. It has too much fluff content and not enough -game- information.

V doesn't like people that want to be flexible in their strategies.

You forgot how awful diplomacy is. Not to mention the broken AI. I'd like some hard diplomacy numbers and clear choices like Civ4 had. People claim that you can look at a leader's expression and manner to figure out your relations. But they probably haven't played multiplayer, where they stripped out leaderheads along with a lot of other things.

I don't like Civ5's music either. It's bland and unmemorable, and I think it's the same song over and over again. I think Civ4 had more ambient sound too.

There also needs to be a way to destroy buildings. It's stupid that you can't control your gold output, so you could be stuck in bankruptcy when it could easily be solved by selling buildings you no longer need. There should be a way to tax citizens too, and have it tie into your city's growth.

I'd also like to see more messages about your civ's status and growth, like how Civ4 would tell you when you've reached different milestones, like a million population.

Unit movement also needs to be improved so that they're smart enough to not walk into city state borders. And clicking on a unit who is following a path should show that path like in Civ4.

The tech tree is a mess. There aren't any tech requirements, and you can easily skip certain techs like musketman/riflemen and go straight for infantry. Rifling should be a requirement for infantry. I've heard other complaints as well. Like that you can get GDR without robotics.

Great People are also unbalanced. They usually have two options. One of which is extremely overpowered, and one which is extremely underpowered.

Add in combat zooming. Combat was more interesting in Civ4, and I don't see why they'd change it in Civ5.

Top Bottom