Cultures

At last, big update to cultures in C2C was uploaded.
Past 3 months I worked on this content and now you can guys play with 240 new cultures!
From Patagonians to Polynsian cultures.
From East European to Subsaharic.
From Australian Aboriginal cultures to Amazonian ones.

Every new culture has one unit and one hero. Creating these units I tried to use all exsiting type of units from C2C. There is tons of non-combat cultural units like merchants, healers, police units and pirate and criminals too. Every one slightly better then non-cultural counterparts.
Some cultures which already been in mod but they was empty now have heroes and units.

Have fun :)

:mischief:An here I am replacing the cultural workers with promotions/bonuses so that it can apply to all the workers and you don't loose the cultural ability when you upgrade the worker.:lol:

Excellent work.:goodjob:

@Sparth: that's really awesome. And I mean it.

Just wondering about one thing: doesn't one hero per culture lead to an excessive number of heroes? Won't settling them in your cities cause an overdose of free XP for new units?

Past 3 months I worked on this content and now you can guys play with 240 new cultures!

Every new culture has one unit and one hero. Creating these units I tried to use all exsiting type of units from C2C. There is tons of non-combat cultural units like merchants, healers, police units and pirate and criminals too. Every one slightly better then non-cultural counterparts.
Some cultures which already been in mod but they was empty now have heroes and units.

Well done! I'll be looking forward to exploring them all!

Normally yes but soon I want to add new unit - Culture Founder. More info about this unit and Second Stage cultures you can find here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14136227&postcount=31

Interesting. So I guess that a player with a European civ will have to choose for example between Northern, Western, Southern or Eastern European cultures.

I foresee players spotting the available resources in their territory and crosschecking them with a culture list before choosing a Second Stage culture. Then wait as long as possible before using their culture founder in case a neighbouring civ or an ex-barbarian civ also founds the same Second Stage culture. The AI will have to make the same decision (although I hope the AI's won't be waiting for each other to found the first secondary culture).

Alternatively, but less efficiently, the AI can simply choose its secondary culture based on history: e.g. Vikings and Danish always choose Northern European.

Some players play with only 5 civs, no rev, no barbarian civs for performance reasons. In such cases, a lot of cultures would be missing from the game. Perhaps turn the secondary cultures into a kind of world wonders, and allow those to be built mid-game (but culture founders are not constrained by the only-one-wonder-per-game rule).

Interesting. So I guess that a player with a European civ will have to choose for example between Northern, Western, Southern or Eastern European cultures.

Yes, exacly.

Some players play with only 5 civs, no rev, no barbarian civs for performance reasons. In such cases, a lot of cultures would be missing from the game. Perhaps turn the secondary cultures into a kind of world wonders, and allow those to be built mid-game (but culture founders are not constrained by the only-one-wonder-per-game rule).

I just dont want to add more diversity to the game. This add more replayability to the mod.

Culture founder unit? Not a bad idea. However, why not make it the great artist and give us a real reason to want artists as much as prophets?

Culture founder unit? Not a bad idea. However, why not make it the great artist and give us a real reason to want artists as much as prophets?

Because that units its unique and every player should build only one Second Stage culture. If he want more - then he should need to conquer other civs which have these cultures.

Also some cultures are available early to build.

Because that units its unique and every player should build only one Second Stage culture. If he want more - then he should need to conquer other civs which have these cultures.

Also some cultures are available early to build.

I'm suggesting third stage culture. And like with Divine Prophets, artists could be given for free to the first to achieve to help to ensure some cultures are taken.

I'm suggesting third stage culture. And like with Divine Prophets, artists could be given for free to the first to achieve to help to ensure some cultures are taken.

A got it now :)
Its kinda good idea to add this ability to Great Artists but without some python work its will be hard to implement this project to the mod. We have almost 400 cultures in-game :D

A got it now :)
Its kinda good idea to add this ability to Great Artists but without some python work its will be hard to implement this project to the mod. We have almost 400 cultures in-game :D

Cultures are still initiated by buildings right? If I'm not mistaken, the appropriate prereqs can still apply if they are given to be a build for the artist right? Then we could simply disable them from being constructable by the city and require artists to initiate them.

Cultures are still initiated by buildings right? If I'm not mistaken, the appropriate prereqs can still apply if they are given to be a build for the artist right? Then we could simply disable them from being constructable by the city and require artists to initiate them.

Its not the problem with the city buildings but with artist build menu. Look at Great Prophet how many religion Shrines now he can builds. And imagine that list with 400 buildings to build.

The problem with 3th stage cultures buildable by great artist is that or the screen has a 100+ item long list telling what cultures can be build or you need to learn the list of what resource is needed for what culture when the button only shows when the culture is buildable in the current city.

This probably wont be a problem if the list can be restricted to the 3th stage cultures you got the 2nd stage for that have not been build but i do not know if that is possible in the interface.

Its not the problem with the city buildings but with artist build menu. Look at Great Prophet how many religion Shrines now he can builds. And imagine that list with 400 buildings to build.

The problem with 3th stage cultures buildable by great artist is that or the screen has a 100+ item long list telling what cultures can be build or you need to learn the list of what resource is needed for what culture when the button only shows when the culture is buildable in the current city.

This probably wont be a problem if the list can be restricted to the 3th stage cultures you got the 2nd stage for that have not been build but i do not know if that is possible in the interface.

Some things could be done in the code to improve the UI interface. Could work on some bug options to show or not show only what's buildable and perhaps if you're showing those that aren't you can show the prereqs that are missing.

Probably not terribly difficult but finding the time these days to achieve anything is a bit of a longshot.

Wouldn't you have a similar problem with a dedicated unit type though?

Wouldn't you have a similar problem with a dedicated unit type though?

No beacuse Culture Founder will be founding only second stage cultures which should be around 21 (instead 400+ frome 3rd stage).

Why would you need a unit for 2nd stage cultures? If you want to restrict each civ to only being able to construct one of the 2nd stage cultures, you can simply use the wonder group mechanism recently developed. It makes it possible for each civ to only build one selected building from a group of buildings. Kind of a cross between a national and world wonder.

Why would you need a unit for 2nd stage cultures? If you want to restrict each civ to only being able to construct one of the 2nd stage cultures, you can simply use the wonder group mechanism recently developed. It makes it possible for each civ to only build one selected building from a group of buildings. Kind of a cross between a national and world wonder.

I didn't know about this mechanism. I must check this.
Thanks for hint.

Great work.

Is there a way to select individual cultures or do they all have to be loaded.

For instance in my newer pre-set maps I only use 7 - 10 civs. Polynesia, Aborigine, Head-hunters etc. and would like to just include those cultures if added.

i.e Samoa.

Top Bottom