[POIL] Never used civics

A good experienced player eventually learns the good civics from the bad and when to use them.

In other words, "get good scrub"? Trap options are usually a terrible idea, even if C2C seems to really like using them.

Don't really see a problem with garbage being civic driven. Nor any benefit to it not being.

The benefit from it being a civic is the AI relations. Where their opinion of you is influenced by the garbage civics you pick. So importing garbage from others will improve your relationship with other civs. Since no one wants garbage and they will be happy you are taking theirs.

In other words, "get good scrub"? Trap options are usually a terrible idea, even if C2C seems to really like using them.

"Trap Options" are not always traps. Sometimes they are just a different way of playing. A lot of C2C is in the gray area where something is neither good not bad, but just is. Like hammers vs food. Or expense vs anything. use anything the wrong way and it can hurt your game. Use it the right way and you can get a boost. Such as using subdued animals to improve a new city can be awesome. But if you save up too many subdued animals it can make you go bankrupted.

You specifically used the phrase "the good civics from the bad". There should be no bad civics, but rather ones that are less useful in a given situation. What's more, if there must be bad civics, why should you need to be experienced to know which ones they are?

You specifically used the phrase "the good civics from the bad". There should be no bad civics, but rather ones that are less useful in a given situation. What's more, if there must be bad civics, why should you need to be experienced to know which ones they are?

The only bad civic should be the first in each set. Every other civic should be better or worse depending on your current game situation and your plans for the next 20-50 turns. The only civic I have not used at various times is the Subsistence one next to Barter (not the Agriculture one), an that is because I have never had a problem with too little food.

edit I accept that the only way to influence your relations with others is via civics so I have no problem with the existence of the Language and Garbage civics.

I think I'm leaning more towards liking garbage as a civic set. It's national policy. Even if you don't have buildings to go with it or are building the ones that do, it's still a policy concept and the buildings just enhance the way its being done more centrally. The diplomacy interaction makes sense as well.

So I'll defend Hydro's design on that. Quite like it really even if I do think that the garbage docks ARE a little TOO polluting (even though I've defended the thinking behind that.)

It might be a difference if the government orders people to do things a certain way (civic) or if the government actively supports a service and pays the upkeep (building). Or it might be the difference between many small, privately supported services or a big nationalized one.

We all have agreed that Civics need some rework. They are almost all too complicated for the most part.

StrategyOnly has done some recent tweaking on the 1st couple of Civics in most categories, with mixed results.

Arguing over which are bad and which are not is just same ol' same ol' perpetual discussions from the last 8+ years. And usually goes nowhere but to more over complication.

JosEPh

We all have agreed that Civics need some rework. They are almost all too complicated for the most part.

StrategyOnly has done some recent tweaking on the 1st couple of Civics in most categories, with mixed results.

Arguing over which are bad and which are not is just same ol' same ol' perpetual discussions from the last 8+ years. And usually goes nowhere but to more over complication.

JosEPh

After the latest tweeks, they are almost pretty good:rolleyes:, at least IMPO. And i did change almost all of them not just the 1st couple categories . .

After the latest tweeks, they are almost pretty good:rolleyes:, at least IMPO. And i did change almost all of them not just the 1st couple categories . .

Glad you put the :rolleyes: in there boss! :lol:

JosEPh ;)

As I said I am using the new ones from CivPlayer8 each civic is easy to understand as it only has a few affects.

Thats one of the main reasons i dont like them at all, whats the use of having civics if they dont do much? Makes no sense .. Might as well get rid of civics then . . :rolleyes:

You can have a few strong effects as well, you know. Having ten weak effects is far less effective (and more confusing).

Thats one of the main reasons i dont like them at all, whats the use of having civics if they dont do much? Makes no sense .. Might as well get rid of civics then . . :rolleyes:

I never said they don't do much. I said it was easy to understand what they did. Which makes it much easier to see what the effect of changing a civic will be.

The civics are more focused on key effects which match the civic group, so Rule is about Ruling not about espionage.

I thought some of the recent changes broke CivPlayer8's new set? If it doesn't then I'll probably start using them again myself. I really thought they could be the new base for making a better set.

And a Civic with laundry list of choices in a category is hard to test and takes much time to figure out if good, bad, or indifferent. Civics with a more focused and shorter effect are easier to figure out by even new players.

JosEPh

Civics with a more focused and shorter effect are easier to figure out by even new players.

Definitely. Less is almost always more in this case.

I thought some of the recent changes broke CivPlayer8's new set?

JosEPh

I wont put them in as they are now, i dont like them . . Again If people want these they can go to THAT persons thread and put them in THEMSELVES.

I never said they don't do much. I said it was easy to understand what they did. Which makes it much easier to see what the effect of changing a civic will be.

Not really agree. What make them hard to really understang is the specific buildings. Some civics are juste meh, but with really good buildings (Guild? guild....). And it's hard to really compare such civics.

I thought some of the recent changes broke CivPlayer8's new set? If it doesn't then I'll probably start using them again myself. I really thought they could be the new base for making a better set.

And a Civic with laundry list of choices in a category is hard to test and takes much time to figure out if good, bad, or indifferent. Civics with a more focused and shorter effect are easier to figure out by even new players.

JosEPh

I think there is only one problem and that is that the name of the tech TECH_THE_FIRE has changed. I just changed that in my copy and it works, I think. I'll have a look and post the change on CivPlayer8's thread.

Not really agree. What make them hard to really understang is the specific buildings. Some civics are juste meh, but with really good buildings (Guild? guild....). And it's hard to really compare such civics.

This is something I have been complaining about for ages;)

It' not really "complaining". I really like tgese civics-related building, except the fact they are obsolete too fast, making a good civics obsote (eg. Republic)
I dont know if it's possible to have a tooltip about the building, just like in City Screen

It' not really "complaining". I really like tgese civics-related building, except the fact they are obsolete too fast, making a good civics obsote (eg. Republic)
I dont know if it's possible to have a tooltip about the building, just like in City Screen

You don't "have to" change civics you know.

JosEPh :D

Top Bottom