A budding modder, looking for work

Potentate

Chieftain
Hi!

I'm relatively new to modding, but I've been playing Civilization IV and, in particular, C2C for a while now.

I'm also relatively new to programming, but I have some assets that I believe to be useful to any modding team.

Anyways, I'd love to be able to join C2C as a part of the mod team. Here are some of the skills I possess:

*Intermediate/A little advanced knowledge of:
*Python (Quite a bit of knowledge)
*C++ (My speciality, btw)
*XML (Not too much info, but I know the basics)
*Interests and specialties in:
*Mathematics
*3D Graphics/Engine Programming
*Overall, programming when it comes to engines and graphics.

*Admitting weaknesses:
*Not too experienced, but I'm a fast learner*
*Perfectionist*
*Am a technical person, NOT a design person*

However, I am...
*Willing to work on whatever you guys put me on that seems fit*

If any of you are interested in letting me on the team in some entry-level position, please reply.

Thank you.

-Potentate

Absolutely! I can definitely use your assistance.

The main thing that's been difficult for getting new programming modders up and running has been getting setup. So that's the first thing to do. Get yourself to where you're able to compile a final working dll.

I suppose I'll have to get you setup on the SVN pretty much immediately so you can get the source codes to work with from that repository. That will require getting you to PM me your sourceforge user name. Let's start from there.

Heh, a work application... I'm sure we can find some task to start you off. ThunderBrd (TB) is our main programmer (C++) and he would probably appreciate some assistance there.

We only demand that you respect your fellow modders and remember that this is a team project; communication is key.

Hope to see you on the team soon.

The more the merrier. I got started by designing and posting a modmod, so if you see something that needs to be done, you don't need permission to do it. Although I haven't tried to touch any C++ stuff.

Hi!

I'm relatively new to modding, but I've been playing Civilization IV and, in particular, C2C for a while now.

I'm also relatively new to programming, but I have some assets that I believe to be useful to any modding team.

Anyways, I'd love to be able to join C2C as a part of the mod team. Here are some of the skills I possess:

If any of you are interested in letting me on the team in some entry-level position, please reply.

Thank you.

-Potentate

On my part no problem. I was asked to join, without even asking.

Your current new skills are more advanced than mine. So yes, welcome aboard.
Is that OK, SO. :)

On my part no problem. I was asked to join, without even asking.

Your current new skills are more advanced than mine. So yes, welcome aboard.
Is that OK, SO. :)

You did have a long background of being exceedingly helpful on the forum here.

If Potentate can do these things Of course I vote Yes! Just to have another C++ modder with some Python to boot, :woohoo::cooool:!!!

I hope Potentate doesn't mind getting some "grunge work" thrown at him right off the bat. ;)

EDIT: And I hope I did not scare him off with the "grunge work" reference either. It is my hope that T-Brd is getting him set up in Sourceforge and that Potentate is learning how to use the SVN. That would be so great. :)

JosEPh

Thank you all for the bright welcome! I'll get my Sourceforge set up momentarily, and I'll be sure to start looking at the code that's already produced to see what I can make new...or possibly improve upon.

Sure there's lots of grunt work and debugging we need help with coding wise. And if you're as good as I hope, you may be able to help me solve some serious current struggle issues. But nobody gets started without having some idea of what they want to improve specifically. And I don't want to inhibit that unless it conflicts dramatically with existing plans... and there are a lot of those so this could take some good communication to navigate properly.

What I would be interested in hearing from you is an observation on the state of the game as it is now. What weaknesses are you hoping to help improve on? What do you think the game needs?

Given what you said about your skillset, I suspect one of the biggest 'debugs' I can use your help with is going to be having you work with Stachnie (if he's still around) to sort out how to properly correct the odds stuff - there's a few existing errors I don't fully understand and there are some effects I want to include into the calculation that have yet to be. This is tough stuff for me.

We also have deep bugs in some of the graphic stuff but you'll probably find that the exe being invisible to us is a real frustrating issue to navigate where the front end is concerned. We can definitely use help getting multi-maps up and running finally (but I would not advise charging into that - there's a number of things that need to be corrected first.)

So what you want to accomplish is the main thing I need to know at this point.

Also... I do warn you, this kind of project can get very very very sticky. It can bind you to it, holding you to making sure that anything you've done has not created a greater set of problems that would be rude to leave behind for even the best programmers to be truly confused by. We've had some C++ modders come and go and leave some such remnants and I, myself, refuse to stop until my own work is clean and complete, which could be a long long time. At this point I'm not modding as much as I usually do but you do need a break now and then. I'd just ask you not to quit when you've cracked open a can of worms as it were.

@Potentate,

How's it coming? Are you having 2nd thoughts?

Personal question: Will you be going to college this fall?

JosEPh

@JosEPh_II:

Actually, I'm looking at some of the code and playing around with it. However, I'm still working on some personal projects of mine, so it will be a while. I'm not sure if I can even get around to this, to be honest. I have a lot going on in my life.

I'm taking my sophomore year of college starting in the fall, yes.

Yes Real Life can waylay the best of plans for Mice and Men. ;)

JosEPh

Guess we need another Help Wanted sign hung out now. :/

JosEPh

Top Bottom