Are there fewer strategic resources in younger worlds?

VladTepes

Clown Prince of Wallachia
I tried a three billion Y/O map and when I discovered BW there was considerably less iron to be found. Does a younger Earth = less SR?

Young worlds have more hills and mountains, I don't think it affects resources.

No, older maps would have more erosion and thus less hilly terrain.

Wouldn't older maps have less erosion, as there had been less time to erose?

I have also noticed a decrease in iron and coal resources on all age maps.

Mountains are not static. Some are being eroded and others are growing, especially at the interface of 2 tectonic plates.

i thought older maps had more hills and mountains

No, older maps would have more erosion and thus less hilly terrain.

Wouldn't older maps have less erosion, as there had been less time to erose?

I think we're getting confused about old/young map and old/young world. A map is basically a picture. If someone has an old picture of you, it is you when you were younger. The picture is old, the subject is young. However in the game the map is the world.

Regardless, choosing 5 billion has more mountains/hills and choosing 3 billion has less

Regardless, choosing 5 billion has more mountains/hills and choosing 3 billion has less

Here's a short code example from the ContinentsPlus.lua which says that the younger a world is, the bigger clusters of mountains in it, whereas the older it is, some of these clusters of mountains effectively turns into hills. In other words, a young world contains larger clusters of mountain ranges, an older world contains more clusters of hills.

quantum42 is correct in that as for the real world, while erosion and sliding tectonic plates will flatten out areas of land and certain mountain ranges, others rise. For example, Mt Everest is increasing in height by about an inch every year due to tectonic plates sliding up against eachother.

Here's a short code example from the ContinentsPlus.lua which says that the younger a world is, the bigger clusters of mountains in it, whereas the older it is, some of these clusters of mountains effectively turns into hills. In other words, a young world contains larger clusters of mountain ranges, an older world contains more clusters of hills.[/URL]

OK this option was never really explained that well. Just looking at the option while setting up you wouldn't even know what it did.

So my understanding now is it affects whether there are peaks in the middle of high altitude terrain or just more hills.

Top Bottom