Easier way to move large armies?

xcrissxcrossx

Prince
I came back to Civ 5 after not playing for a while, and I figured I would try a conquest game with Shaka. Considering he gets a huge bonus to unit maintenance I figured I would make a very large army, which in theory should be a feasible strategy, and probably the ideal for him. The only problem is that moving the armies is a major pain. You have to select them one at a time, move the map over, click on a hex, and repeat this like 20 times. Often the moves will get cancelled and you will have to do this over again on the next turn. And you usually can't remember which unit was going where so it just gets more confusing. This was a multiplayer game so everyone else has to wait for me to do this simple action that really shouldn't take so long, if the UI was more prepared for it. Is there an easier way that I'm missing or is this a known limitation of the game?

No, the pathfinding (and the UI for it), is awful, this is widely complained about but hasn't been fixed at all. It's a pain for military, it's a pain for sending archaeologists, it's a pain for your worker creating roads in a straight line, etc.

I have no problems with pathfinding.

Try single player, no one has to wait for you. As for multiplayer, try tradition, aristocracy and oligarchy, you don't have to worry about attacking anyone.

I rarely ever set long paths for my units, especially if I'm moving a large army around. I just do it turn by turn. It takes a little longer but it saves a lot of headaches.

I just trigger the whole lot of them to waypoints vaguely near where I want them to be, then check the military screen to clean up any fortified/alerted/healing stragglers. Once they're close enough to start complaining about collisions then I start finessing.

Caveats for passing near hostile city-states or civs and unsecured oceans, and the like.

Moving large armies is the reason why domination is so tedious in this game.

Yes it is. Without war, turns take less than a minute. Once you engage... each turn lasts several minutes and is often unsatisfying. And if you are fighting a distant war... just shoot me now.

Simple answer, do not use pathfinding for long distances, the game will really screw up sometimes.
I have seen units I sent across the map make huge detours around mountain chains because it got blocked for 1 turn at a choke point. The movement also gets cancelled when a unit stops on the tile you are headed for.

it works well enough (usually) with boats on water maps or if you are only moving 3 or 4 turns on auto.
Just move each unit every turn, this way they stay together nicely, you can respond to changes in your path, and you can arrange them better on the fly as you approach your target. It is a drag though and turns the game into a slog

its surprising to me that so many use this "auto" stuff on scouts or units. In a game where its about strategy and the small details, not controlling a scout, or the exact tile each unit moves to, goes against what my* idea is of this game

You are a true purist. Some of us just play for fun and pay attention to other parts of the game. I (gasp) sometimes set my units to auto explore. (shame).

yeah, i find that after initial manual exploring it is not really disadvantageous to set scout to auto explore (once iv kind of seen all the land i want to see)

what about planes? relocating 10+ planes to the next city? there has to be a better way than having to 4 click every single plane.

what about planes? relocating 10+ planes to the next city? there has to be a better way than having to 4 click every single plane.

YA, this is one of the most wanted things in civ.

Firaxis felt "fixing" japan, and map packs was more important than addressing actual game issues...

YA, this is one of the most wanted things in civ.

Firaxis felt "fixing" japan, and map packs was more important than addressing actual game issues...

Out of curosity, have you ever reported this "issue"? Just because THERE is an issue, it might not be an obvious choice for the devs to see it unless it's reported several times.

Out of curosity, have you ever reported this "issue"? Just because THERE is an issue, it might not be an obvious choice for the devs to see it unless it's reported several times.

Your Trolling right?
I report bugs as they come up.
Firaxis maintains an official presence on this forum.
The boards where awash with suggestions about "issues" like moving aircraft since vanilla. I am talking about basic UI playability "issues," this does not even go into game balance "issues" of which is very broad consensus problems (not necessarily solutions). Seriously, Firaxis probably invested more time in the board room deciding to nerf consulates, adding the science penalty for cities, and the aircraft stacking than actually programming the changes. Firaxis is quite aware of the "issues" with the game, they are just choosing to ignore them because it would cost more than $50.00 to implement

Top Bottom