Does God exist?

Mayor of H-Marker Lake
Are we going to try and found a religion, import some missionaries or be secular?

The best plan would be to get a religion of our own. While Buddhism and Hinduism are the only religions founded so far the techs that lead toward Judaism are useless to us. Also the techs required for Christianity and Islam are expensive. This would be an inconvenient research path but well worth it if it succeeded. Mysticism, Polytheism, Masonry, Monotheism, Pottery, Writing, Theology, Divine Right.

Confucianism is down a much better road requiring Pottery, Mysticism, Writing, Meditation, Priesthood and finally Code of Law, but someone may already be working on Oracle so they can get Law for free. Being non-industrious and without marble it hardly seems worth it for us to try. That leaves us with Taoism, which will demand the same techs plus Philosophy, but it mostly requires techs that we can use and is probably not anyone’s first choice religion so maybe we can get their first.

Second choice would be to import the religion of an ally but since we don’t know when that could happen we would have to consider option #3 anyway which is…

The secular life. Religion provides culture, gold, sometimes LOS and the potential for early prophets but its greatest contribution is happiness. To play without the opiate of the masses will require happy civics (Monarchy/ Hereditary Rule is the nearest) luxury resources (maybe we can trade for some cus we are SOL, although our mines may reveal silver or gold. The silk requires Calander.) or buildings (Market gives an extra happy with silk and Theaters and Coliseums give extra happy with culture) finally we can use luxury tax as a last resort.

I would say philosophy seems a good choice, we may even be able to trade for some of the techs along the way :)

Skrew religion, just spread whatever enters our borders, maybe even ask money from other civs to spread their state religion ("our capital buddhist? That'll be 50 gold please")

thats one way of looking at it, however id prefer for people not to be able to see what we're doing :)

For a moment, I thought OT is sneaking its way into the Demogame :eek:.

Anywho, I am for researching for at least a religion so that we can gain the extra benifits of Gold and Culture. As well as building Temples to add to that benifit as well as happyness.

said research from the 'monistaries' might go toward teaching our citizens how to read, write and most importantly *spell* ;) :p

Is all of this worth the effort?
I almost never bother to found religions in my own games, certainly not with Toku. The research and hammers spend on temples, monastries and missionaries is better spent on Samurai.

I like to have a religion in a MP game, but its not the thing I focus on most. Just get the shrine, a few temples and conquer whoever is in the way.

If we research Math and Law (and pottery, writing, mysticism, meditation and priesthood) we can use the great scientist (even if he is spawned in an inferior location near site 2) to rush Philosophy.

For a moment, I thought OT is sneaking its way into the Demogame :eek:.

Me too, it seemed an odd title for a ISDG thread. While admin duties prevent me from commenting, I do have quite a bit of interest in the outcome as it relates to improving my own MP play. :cool:

the problem is dave that this MP is a lot different to normal MP,

normally it wouldnt take much for me to look at a civ see the eatures i want in it and march over them, here we have to consider the diplomatic consequences not only in this game but the next.

Religion could be yet another way to get a team neutral or friendly to us, if they got something to gain from it then there is fewer reason for them to attack.just a thought.

It could help strengthen our ties with other nations if we shared a religion

I wouldn't go to great pains if it is out of our way, but if we can find something that could be beneficial along the way, I think the benefits would outweigh the cost...especially later in the game.

no if you share a religion in multiplayer they can see your troops...there is ZERO benefit for sharing. You want your OWN and then spread it to them.

Dont get fooled into thinking this is AI we are playing against. All the diplo score of "long time trades +3 " or what ever dont mean anything.

/is it just me or do we have alot of people who are multiplayer newbies???

I meant if we shared our own religion

@RegentMan

*coughreadsecondparagraphofpostsixteencough* ;)

Conveniance is definately a factor here

Top Bottom