GCA (Yellow Destiny) Communications

Mayor of H-Marker Lake
Just a repeat of my post in the president thread for now. I've sent it and will hopefully have a chat to post soon.

To Lucky and GCA team,

Just as you predicted this war has failed to achieve any of what we hoped for. The initiative has now passed to Yellow Destiny. Considering our relative positions your efforts will likely prevail were ours could not but considering our relative positions the rewards may not be worth the effort.

We have had time now to consider our blame in this war and to reevaluate your treatment of us prior to it and would like to try resolving our differences over a chat if you would be so kind as to give us another chance.

Looking forward to meeting with you all,
1889 of CFC.
edandjane@gci.net

To CFC,

we have not yet heard anything from you in regards to a time and date of a chat as of now.
Let us know.

GCA

Weekends are a little unpredictable so I'm going to suggest Monday around 2200 GMT (early afternoon on the west coast).

My reeeply.
To Lucky and GCA Team,

If you want to propose a time we will try to accommodate you, but weekends are somewhat unpredictable so I like to have it on a weekday. Monday would be nice. I'm usually available (with minor interruptions) from about 1300 on (Alaska time). If I convert right that should be any time after 2100 GMT.

Also I'm signed into MSN most of the time I'm home so I'm pretty easy to catch for informal chats.

Talk to you Monday,
1889 (also my MSN ID) and Team CFC

I've asked CBR to attend as well.

Chat update:

Lucky was there but got tired of waiting. He logged off and went to bed. That is what he says in an email time stamped 1 hour before the chat was scheduled to begin. :)

I went and registered over at Gamecatchers to see if that makes it easier for us to connect. While there I noticed an exciting news item.

"Civ4 Warlords Expansion Announced!" :)

It's a small site with low traffic I guess, and a rather involved registration process. Anyway hopefully Lucky checks messages in the morning and we can get something started tonight.

Chat update:

Well ... I have switched my IM online every evening for the past 3 days, saw you online at some times as well and waited for you to contact me. It is after all your (CFCs) initiative.
Yesterday I contacted you as well, waiting for any reply. Only to hear and see you log off 3 minutes later without a word.
To me that seems as if your (CFCs) interest in real diplomacy is as low as ever.

I may switch the IM online over the weekend and Monday (taking a day off), but would do so definitely if you propose a distinct time when you and I can make it.
Regards

Lucky
GCA

My reply:

Hi Lucky,

While I am logged in I'm not often sitting at the computer so I must have missed the little message buzzer, sorry about that. I have yet to see you (frilu@hotmail.com) logged on but it sounds like we are getting closer to a meeting. Lets give it a try this weekend. I don't know your time zone so how about 1800 GMT, thats 9 AM here in Alaska. That should work on Saturday and Sunday.

Looking forward to it,

Petulant is what I thought. There is no need to take a war declaration so personally, especially if you're playing the Mongols for Pete's sake.

I don't know anything about GCA/CFC history so I was prepared to keep an open mind, but I hope we get a chance to chat before this guy sends any more emails because I'm developing an opinion fast.

And here is the moment we've all been waiting for:

Spoiler :

Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation.

frilu@hotmail.com says:
here I am
1889 says:
Hello there.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
wow ... no signing off ...
frilu@hotmail.com says:
good evening
frilu@hotmail.com says:
so ... what does CFC want to discuss?
frilu@hotmail.com says:
(don't have much time, almost midnight here)
1889 says:
I was just loading the save.
1889 says:
We can see now that we blew it by declaring war on you.
1889 says:
So we we would like to end it and try and get our relations on a different track.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
indeed ... as we warned it would be ...
frilu@hotmail.com says:
I see
1889 says:
I understand that we have to prove our new intentions but we can't do that while we are at war.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
very well ... do you have anything specific to offer in exchange for peace?
1889 says:
We have some techs that we can exchange.
1889 says:
I'll send an offer in an email.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
very well
frilu@hotmail.com says:
you must understand our team position though
frilu@hotmail.com says:
you caught us by surprise with your attack, but now we have the strongest (numerous and advanced) army in the world at the moment
1889 says:
We do recognise that.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
so it is rather a question of what you offer that we do not march that army towards your cities
frilu@hotmail.com says:
and secondly, we of course would need reassurances in the form of say ... putting your galleys where we can see them, unloaded of course, or similar
frilu@hotmail.com says:
and re-recognizing our border treaty
1889 says:
We recognise that GCA can cause much harm to us, but is an invasion of CFC the best course of action for GCA?
1889 says:
I think we can both do much better.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
in Civ, if you have the strongest army, you better use it quickly and decisively, otherwise it will just be a burden and a high cost factor to put us behind
1889 says:
Very true.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
good
frilu@hotmail.com says:
draw up your offer, we will not be unreasonable
1889 says:
But it isn't always a good idea to use it in the first place. As we have learned.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
i.e. we will not demand the surrender of units or cities or similar
1889 says:
Thank you.
1889 says:
Would you be interested in some units though?
1889 says:
You have the circumnavigation bonus don't you?
frilu@hotmail.com says:
yes we do
1889 says:
Ok, I'll send an emailto you tonight.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
ok
1889 says:
Thank you then and good eavening.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
about technology, you should also be aware that both Feudalism and Philosophy are hardly
frilu@hotmail.com says:
rare anymore
1889 says:
I'll keep that in mind.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
we are not interested in Philo, but offering the defensive tech Feudalism as compensation, would surely sway many of our pro war members
frilu@hotmail.com says:
good evening then, we await your offer and will then reply
1889 says:
Good meeting you.
frilu@hotmail.com says:
until next time

Short and sweet, but he says they won't be unreasonable. Now we just have to compare our ideas of "unreasonable".

I'll post a draft late tonight. Please discuse terms in the "Swords to Ploughshares" thread.

CFC-CBR-GCA Treaty of Peace

The CFC-CBR alliance is not based on a hatred of GCA but rather a commitment to cooperation between the CFC and CBR teams. Together we apologize for our ill-advised invasion of your territory. It was the result of an ancient fear of Mongol power that fixed our course and caused us to misinterpret your actions. We have since reevaluated our past dealings and we can now see the honesty of your efforts. We endeavor now to prove our character to you.

Withdrawal
To begin with our galleys are withdrawing from your territory where they will remain both visible and unloaded as you requested.

Open Borders
You mentioned re-recognizing the border treaty, but the problem with that treaty was never a question of bad faith but a misunderstanding of the terms. I hope you will instead accept a new treaty: a simple open border treaty in which GCA units may freely enter CFC territory while CFC’s units will remain home until you see fit to once more extend your welcome to us.

Unit swapping
You also mentioned the peculiar burden that a first class military can be. It just so happens that while you may be seeking to draw yours down, a recent rash of fatalities has left us with need of a few more. If you are interested we could swap up to 2 galleys for 2 archers or spearmen each. We could also build up to 2 work boats for the resources off shore of “GCA Victory” in exchange for an axeman or chariot each.

Tech trading
Technology is a civilizations most precious resource, so while committed to not giving it away we credit you a hefty sum for an opportunity at a second chance. We offer Feudalism (1046) and Music (897) in exchange for Currency (598), except that we are not allowed to trade Music for 10 turns.

Sorry I didn't give you time to comment, but I told Lucky in chat I'd send it tonight and its already almost tomorrow so Sent to GCA and CBR.

I don't think we should have told them that we are in need of defense.

Feudalism for Currency. We should bargain for some cash in the deal. At least we don't lose out that much. He said that they wouldn't be too unreasonable. So, we don't have to be too kind.

I know he's threatening us (by indirectly demanding Feudalism). But the fact that we can build longbows will also discourage them from invading us. (Yes, they can't stand up to highly promoted maces, but you know......). Plus if they attack, they leave their rear vulnerable to CBR attack.

Compared to them everyone is in need of defence. ;)

Got a reply from GCA. posted in the Swords to Ploughshares thread for discussion.

Sent to GCA and CBR:

Lucky and Gamecatcher Alliance,

Thank you for your quick response. We have carefully considered your offer and while it was not wholly agreeable we hope this counter offer gets us at least a few steps closer to an agreement.

Importance of Exchange
Our purpose with this treaty is not so much to end the war as to change the nature of our relationship with GCA. A treaty that simply grants concessions for peace fails in that respect. Such a treaty is little more than a cease fire and will most probably lead to a resumption of hostilities. That is why we feel that exchange is a critical element of lasting peace.

Separate Peace
CFC and CBR have developed a close working relationship that predates this war. Numerous weekly chats have revealed many opportunities for cooperation and exchange. The resulting alliance has brought great benefits and strong friendship. We have risked war together and we can see that that is not the way forward so we have both decided to accept the risks of friendship with a former enemy. There should be no separate peace.

Open Border
The open border proposal you offer is wholly agreeable.

Unit Swap
You said in chat that you would not be demanding units so we included these as an example of how peace and cooperation can suit us both better than continuation of hostilities. We can modify our offer by making up to 3 galleys available to you in exchange for 2 archers or spearmen each.

Tech Trades
We will also amend our tech offer to Feudalism, Music (can't trade it to you for 9 more turns) and 60 gold for Currency, an offer more than 3:1 in your favor.

Further Negotiations
I hope you will not be discouraged if there seems still a great distance between what you ask and what we offer. Another chat may be very helpful in our attempt to find agreement. (1800-2030 GMT is best but I’m around many other times as well.) We can eventually work this out through emails but it may take some time. So please consider an in game cease fire which will give us 10 turns to continue working out details. If you are not satisfied with our efforts at the ten turn limit then the war can resume.

Looking forward to your reply,
1889 and CivFanatics Team

I like a lot of this reply:

To team CFC:

We are pleased by your continued willingness to negotiate a lasting peace and will continue to keep the diplomatic channels open until we can hopefully find a suitable solution.

We also agree to an informal cease-fire right now (520 AD), and are likely willing to agree to an official cease-fire (in-game) once offered.
The only mutual conditions of this cease-fire are two.

1. All galleys, including newly produced ones (which can be deduced from in-game statistics), will stay unloaded in plain sight of each others territory (but not within the borders).
2. No units may assemble at the CFC-GCA sea shores (reasonable amounts of city defense excluded). This includes the withdrawel of all units from the CFC-GCA landbridge.

We hope that is acceptable, especially since you already agreed on most of these points in a different context.

Concerning the alliance with CBR. You must note a few points.

1. CBR has not contacted us in any form whatsoever in millenia.
2. CBR units continue to block city resource tiles.
3. CBR navy continues to harrass our fishing grounds and cause growth disruption on our cities.
4. CBR continues to station invasion forces directly on our borders.
These and other points paint quite a clear picture, CBR is not as interested in peace as CFC seems to be. We will react accordingly.

Due to these and prior events, we are not willing to negotiate with an entity that claims to represent both teams. Once approached, we will negotiate with each team individually.
You may continue to cooperate and of course synchronize your negotiations with us, but we will not agree to anything but individual negotiations. We urge you to keep your nations
prosperity and safety in mind first, before stepping forward for someone that so obviously does not share your current attitude as much.
If both nations put forward an attitude and willingness as you seem to do, a common peace may not be unattainable, but effort from ALL sides is required.

Concerning a CFC-GCA treaty:

All details given before are negotiable. One thing you must understand though, is that an important aspect of reestablishing relations is making a show of goodwill.
Granting Feudalism as reparations for free, would be a great show of goodwill.

To account for tech trades, we are willing to put the rather unique technology of Drama for Music, or a bag of gold and units, onto the table, possibly without any trade restrictions.
Another mutually very interesting possibility is a cooperation on luxury resources. We have now liberated our luxurious spices, and your silks continue to bloom undeveloped.
We will likely know how to harvest these resources soon, and sharing both this knowledge as well as these goods would not only please the citizens of both nations, it would also
bind our nations in a more dependent, economic way, thus increasing the risks and cost of another war.

Hopefully these possibilities show some options that can make a lasting peace treaty work well for both sides.

Regards

Gamecatcher Alliance

P.S. to 1889: Writing to the GCteam address is more than enough, thank you.

I'm talking with CBR about it right now.

Only sticking point is our deal with cbr...

Sent this just to accept the cease fire for right now:

Lucky and Yellow Destiny,

We are still working on a more complete response to your latest proposal but we can all agree to your terms for an informal cease fire (between all 3 nations) beginning 520 AD.

1. All galleys, including newly produced ones (which can be deduced from in-game statistics), will stay unloaded in plain sight of each others territory (but not within the borders).
2. No units may assemble at the CFC-GCA sea shores (reasonable amounts of city defense excluded). This includes the withdrawal of all units from the CFC-GCA land bridge.

In addition CBR has agreed to withdraw its units from your border.

We suggest this last for no less than 10 turns, which should be long enough to resolve our differences and agree to a permanent peace.

We will get back to you soon regarding you peace proposal.
1889 on behalf of Teams CBR and CFC

@ hero: I've been forwarding all CFC/GCA communications regarding this treaty to CBR.

EDIT: GCA and CBR are now in direct negotiations, although we remain allies and still share all relevant emails

I’m still working on our response to their peace offer, but here are some suggestions. I’d like to hear what you think of these and hopefully I’ll send to GCA tonight.

About separate treaties:
CBR is now in full compliance with the Cease fire, so we see no reason for separate treaties. In any case CFC and CBR will only agree to a peace that ends the war for all of us.
Or
To be honest with you we don’t understand why you desire separate peace treaties. CFC and CBR have been and will continue to coordinate these negotiations so separate treaties seem to provide no benefit while increasing the time and effort required.

If you care to explain why you feel this would be useful then maybe we can find some other solution, however if you insist on this provision we are prepared to consent Please be aware though that CFC and CBR will not agree to peace unless it ends the war for both of us.

I’m not sure why they want separate treaties unless they want to try and continue the war against CBR or try and demand another free tech.

About giving gifts for peace:
We feel that Feudalism is a huge concession; we can show proof of our good will however with 60 gold. Our further good will is demonstrated by our generous tech trade offer.

We can offer Feudalism now with a promise to trade Currency to us for Music in 8 turns. I’m just a little afraid they may get Music from someone else then not trade us anything.

Top Bottom