Game doesn't let me win?

lollipopcorn

Chieftain
Hi all,

Just got this game today and blasted through 9 straight hours of gameplay. My eyes hurt.

My question is, Why is it that I do not win even when I meet the prerequisites? I started off the game with domination in mind, and managed to kill off every single other city/nation, other than the seemingly forever spawning barbarians.

It didn't work. So, I kept going, figuring that there was probably some twist and some alternate stuff I needed to do to achieve the victory. I researched and researched, finally launched the space shuttle. Nothing happened too after I launched it. No victory sigh or anything. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!
Merry christmas!!
Yay.

It is possible you won or lost the game some other way and clicked "one more turn". Once the game has been won or lost, you can keep playing, but can't win a second time by another method.

Check your Hall of Fame. On the Main Menu, click "Other" and then "Hall of Fame."

Are you also sure that you've set the victory conditions ON.. because I think you can still "acheive" the victories, you just can't win when you get them if you turned those conditions off.

For Domination you have to control all the original capitals - if you wiped out every other civ, this is almost certainly the case, however are you sure there's no CS in control of a former capital, for instance?

I just remembered, I destroyed Hamburg because I got pissed at Germany denouncing me and DoWing me later on, and I kept Berlin. Is it because of the destroyed Hamburg that I didn't win? What about the space shuttle?

I played this as a learn as you play tutorial if that matters.

I confess I haven't played the tutorial in, like, forever. I can't recall playing the tutorial to the end, but perhaps the tutorial doesn't allow you to "win" (in a Hall of Fame sense).

Keep plugging away at it. These civ games where not designed to make it easy for us mere mortals :) Good Luck and Enjoy.

If this was true the combat AI would be a lot better than it really is.

That's why there are many ways to win or lose the game one plays. Combat is almost a no brainer but it all depends on the goals you set for yourself. :crazyeye:

Isn't the tutorial unwinnable? You can never actually beat it, I think, so if you were playing the tutorial just quit and start a game. If you weren't playing the tutorial then I've got nothing.

I think you should take what you learned and start a new game. Set the game up as small size, standard pace, continents, prince or maybe one difficulty below. Second time through, you'll likely get more out of it, anyway.

What does the victory progress (F8) screen show? It should list all the active victory possibilities and progress towards them.

Top Bottom