Can someone explain the Hussar ZOC behavior

GhostSalsa

Emperor
I just finished a fun war as Poland against Russia's Cossacks where I was able to get a ton of field use out of the Hussar, qualified for push-back on every single attack. But I feel like I'm missing something with the ZOC behavior and the push-back.

First: How is ZOC in attacking for horses supposed to work normally? I feel that with horse units when I make a kill - and therefor move forward into the killed unit's tile - and cross a second enemy unit's ZOC while doing so, I usually still have my leftover moves. But it's not consistent maybe? Does anyone know how this is supposed to work.

Second: I think I was never getting that leeway with the Hussar pushback. If my attack and pushing forward moves me forward across a second enemy unit's ZOC, then bye-bye remaining movement points.

Am I observing this correctly? It seems like the game is considering my forward movement in the attack as just a regular move coming after the attack, totally subject to ZOC.

This is obviously problematic for the Hussar since the enemy they pushed back still counts for flanking when the turn ends. Really that's the danger with the pushback even when I don't lose my remaining movement, the ZOC penalty just makes it worse.

First: How is ZOC in attacking for horses supposed to work normally? I feel that with horse units when I make a kill - and therefor move forward into the killed unit's tile - and cross a second enemy unit's ZOC while doing so, I usually still have my leftover moves. But it's not consistent maybe? Does anyone know how this is supposed to work.

This is how it works: when a horse unit attacks you may pass ZOC of someone standing right next to the victim without losing turn. That applies to all horsebacks, not just winged hussars. In short: yes, consistent.

Don't know how push back works though.

The winged hussar is best used on the flanks of a battle line. If you break through the middle, then you're instantly surrounded, same as real life

This is how it works: when a horse unit attacks you may pass ZOC of someone standing right next to the victim without losing turn. That applies to all horsebacks, not just winged hussars. In short: yes, consistent.

Thanks for answering that part of the question that was really the biggest mystery.

It's hard to observe these things consistently because there's so many variables - as a different example, I had a road built up to my city state ally that I was liberating - I liberated with a calvary that had 4 movement points left - the attack on the city would have taken 2 thanks to Great Wall - and after I selected Liberate my horse was displaced two tiles away on the road I built - with all movement points gone. Apparently the road doesn't count as friendly territory until the game has finished moving my horse??

Thanks for answering that part of the question that was really the biggest mystery.

It's hard to observe these things consistently because there's so many variables - as a different example, I had a road built up to my city state ally that I was liberating - I liberated with a calvary that had 4 movement points left - the attack on the city would have taken 2 thanks to Great Wall - and after I selected Liberate my horse was displaced two tiles away on the road I built - with all movement points gone. Apparently the road doesn't count as friendly territory until the game has finished moving my horse??

When it auto-moved you two tiles away, were you still in CS borders? Usually it seems to boot you out of a liberated cities borders unless that unit has Rival Territory promotion.

Yes still in border which was good - I had March promo anyway it's just annoying because my horse could have moved 12 tiles on that road after capture

Top Bottom