Why is Saddam Hussein awaiting trial?

stratego

Trying to be good.
Why is Saddam Hussein given a trial? He has broken international law and has committed atrocities, that why we invaded Iraq. Why don't we just punish him now. I don't see the point in the administration giving him a trial, if he has already been found guilty by the administration.

stratego said:
Why is Saddam Hussein given a trial? He has broken international law and has committed atrocities, that why we invaded Iraq. Why don't we just punish him now. I don't see the point in the administration giving him a trial, if he has already been found guilty by the administration.

A similiar argument was used after WWII concerning the captured war-criminals. The answer is the same, it's because we're supposed to be better than they are and it's easier to hold the moral high ground if we demonstrate that by giving them the fair-trial that they denied others.

The people most committed to freedom and fair trial are the first to want to extinguish that very same desire in others once the tables turn. I wonder why that is?

stratego said:
He has broken international law and has committed atrocities,

I think that phrase can be apply to many leaders all over the world.

And no, thats not the main reason given to attack Iraq. Its only part of the argument.

He was put on "trial" so as to prove that the one who caught him is in a "legal" "justifiable" "morally superior" ground.

Ramius

What if he was found innocent in the trial? Does the administration just say "oops?"

stratego said:
What if he was found innocent in the trial? Does the administration just say "oops?"

Well, IF he is found to be innocent, who r we to judge him ? Is OJ simpson really innocent?

There r no absolute right or wrong in this world. On Winners and losers and everything is grey.

But i can reassure u, the judge and the court is appointed and control by the very people Saddam Hussien prosecuted in the 80-90s. If Saddam is found to be Innocent i will be very surprise and applaud at the leniency of the court and forgiveness of the people. Or come up with a conspiracy theory of my own.

Ramius

stratego said:

No, they'll say "We knew that" and then use videos of 9/11 to turn the attention away from their mistakes.

Because it is a good tradition in our western world to assume someones innocence until other proven and no punishment without a trial. Even a murder caught with the bloody knife near its victim can't be punished without a trial. What you're advocating is lynch justice.

Don't step down to the level of your enemy, or you're not better than he!

He is being given a trial, because that is the right thing to do.

@stratego I am sure you are playing devil's advocate in this thread because based on some of what you've said previously I'm sure you appreciate the value of due process.

This specific case is a rare propoganda victory for America in the War on Terror, a very smart and savvy move to demonstrate that he will get a fair trial, hopefully convincing some waverers in the Arab world that perhaps America is not so bad after all, and those Al-Qaeda people are a little bit extreme in wanting death to it. If he is treated well and his trial is seen to be fair, it will hopefully go a small way to dampen down the Arab opinion that America has been inflaming for the last few years.

However I'm still a bit pessimistic that they will botch his handover to the Iraqi authorities, so the battle isn't won yet.

Hotpoint said:
A similiar argument was used after WWII concerning the captured war-criminals. The answer is the same, it's because we're supposed to be better than they are and it's easier to hold the moral high ground if we demonstrate that by giving them the fair-trial that they denied others.
indeed, its the only reason.

yoshi74 said:
Because it is a good tradition in our western world to assume someones innocence until other proven and no punishment without a trial.
tell that to guantanamo inmates :)

Saddam can be tried, but it can wait until after we've roughed him up a little :)

stratego said:

How would you feel if the American courts (i.e. in the USA) sentenced clearly guilty defendents without a trial?

zulu9812 said:
How would you feel if the American courts (i.e. in the USA) sentenced clearly guilty defendents without a trial?

You mean, like Jose Padilla?! Oops! I don't think I was supposed to mention that!

Didn't the Bush administration admit that Saddam had nothing to do with al-Qaeda? That might turn the attention away from this "propaganda victory".

i agree w/ zulu...these principles are what my country (US) are grounded in (fair trial, innocent until proven guilty, etc). any deviation from this is like going back to the revolutionary war period, no matter how much of a facenick hussein was.

anyhow, what's to worry about? that rotten SOB will certainly be convicted and all the better for the iraqi people to try him themselves. now that's justice!

Considering how much credibility we sent down the drain, we might as well uphold this facet of a democracy and show the Iraqi people how to hold a fair and public trial for even the most demonic peoples. That is a pillar of democracy.

@ Archer 007: Isn't that's what is supposed to happen?

Top Bottom