Chariot Archer doesn't obsolete: An attempt to fix the issue with ranged cavalry

DoctorMcGann

Emperor
There's a lot of complaints about the Chariot archers (not to mention the Keshiks and Camel Archers) and how they inconveniently upgrade to a melee unit. This mod will attempt to fix this issue by adding two new units to the game. One is the Dragoon, which will unlock at metallurgy, and the other is the Gun Truck, which will unlock at Combined Arms.

Icons for the gun truck and turret jeep (Humvee) below.
Spoiler :

Those seem like weird timeline skips, I'd suggest having more units added, something Classical/Medieval and Industrial age for example.

The line should, IMO, go this way: Chariot Archer>Skirmisher cavalry (1 range, but can attack on melee as well as range, and has move after attacking)(Horseback Riding)>Mounted Crossbowman (same but stronger)(Machinery)>Dragoon (Chemistry)>Armored Car (Combustion)>Tank Destroyer(Combined Arms)>Wheeled AFV(Mobile Tactics).

Armored Car and latter require Oil, earlier Horses.

Basically, this is introducing whole new line of units, light cavalry type. All are ranged but, except for chariot, capable of attacking on melee too if possible., but not that great...enough to beat down ranged units and act like hit'n run type units that these historically were. I wanted to put it into top tech line rather than bottom, but can't really see a way to do so to make sense of it.

Actually, the Gun Truck is M16 MGMC, which was not a technical. It wasn't improvised, it was actually designed to be SPAA (self propelled anti-air). It eventually was more used against ground troops, because Luftwaffe was, at that time, focusing on bomber interception, rather than CAS against which it was designed.

And about my suggestions...lemme pull some things. Armored car could be based, say on this (Rolls Royce AC, used frequently in WWI)
Spoiler :

Tank destroyer could be based on StuG III or Jagdpanzer IV for example, casemate style would be preferable to make it visually distinct from tanks.
Spoiler :

And for wheeled AFV, think of vehicles like B1 Centauro (picture) or M1128.
Spoiler :

Similar, sort of. It's an M16 MGMC.

So, first of all, is it even possible to have a unit that can attack ranged and melee? I'm not sure about that.

As for the suggestions, they all sound good, but would need models. Now, I'm sure someone's done a model for the Skirmisher, at least for Civ IV, and possibly for the Carabinier or the Harquebusier, but I don't know about the Tachanka. I'd have to look through some unit threads.

I'm thinking the upgrade tree could go:

Chariot Archer
Skirmisher
If Mongolia/Arabia, Keshik/Camel Archer (My thought is that these could still replace the knight, and other civs would go without ranged cavalry until renaissance)
If not, the Carabinier/Harquebusier (I'm not sure yet which is better, I'll have to think about it)
Dragoon
Tachanka or armored car. Those seem like the best options right now.
Then Gun Truck as above, which will remain in use until the end of the game.

I think the Tank Destroyer is pretty much covered by the Anti tank gun.

Hm. Gun trucks like this aren't really used by militaries anymore, best you could compare it to are modern armored cars like HMMWV (Humvee), but I think those are, along with APCs, covered by Mobile Infantry unit.

Possibly merging the Tank Destroyer and Wheeled AFV into single unit that would act as late game ranged cavalry, as AFV or IFV.
Hmm... (idea). At Rocketry, introduce this? ATGM carrier FV102:
Spoiler :

Edit: I suggested mounted crossbowman for middle ages. These were used by many european nations in middle ages...

Hm. Gun trucks like this aren't really used by militaries anymore, best you could compare it to are modern armored cars like HMMWV (Humvee), but I think those are, along with APCs, covered by Mobile Infantry unit.

Possibly merging the Tank Destroyer and Wheeled AFV into single unit that would act as late game ranged cavalry, as AFV or IFV.
Hmm... (idea). At Rocketry, introduce this? ATGM carrier FV102:
Spoiler :

Edit: I suggested mounted crossbowman for middle ages. These were used by many european nations in middle ages...

The HMMWV had occurred to me, but I predict that finding a model would be rather difficult. The mounted crossbowman is a good idea, although I'm worried that it might make Camel Archers and Keshiks less powerful.

The HMMWV had occurred to me, but I predict that finding a model would be rather difficult. The mounted crossbowman is a good idea, although I'm worried that it might make Camel Archers and Keshiks less powerful.

I'd keep range 1 on mounted crossbowmen and all ranged cavalry, and generally, they wouldn't be. Crossbows for mounted use were much smaller and less powerful than regular infantry ones, to allow use on horseback. We're talking about useful range well under 100m, while skilled Mongol horse archer could hit a man-sized target on well over 100m, and massed volley fire on area could have double the range.

That sounds perfect.

Right, so RE: Models. Looking through the Civ V section, I found an option for the armoured car, and Danrell's got what I need for the WWII gun truck in the OP, but the others may require my converting some CIV units. I only found a foot skirmisher. I could probably just use a Hussar to represent the Dragoon. I'm not sure about the harquebusier. Again, possibly something from Civ IV mods.

Honestly, maybe I should try making models. It'd be difficult, but the Humvee would be a really good unit for the information era.

If you're picking models from CivIV, there is Numidian Cavalry for skirmisher cavalry.

Top Bottom