Would You as Creators be offended by a mod that adjusted affect of your mod?

LeeS

Imperator
Lately I've been letting this project lay a little fallow while I've been working on something else, but I'm thinking I may be near to going ahead with a release.

It occurs to me there may be interest in adding-on code for lo those many wonder mods that exist either here or on Steam, so that speed of construction of such wonders would be adjusted by my mod. But just arbitrarily doing so without seeking permission from the original mod-authors feels a little too much like I might be getting into that grey-area of what is not-so-good behavior ethically, one mod-creator vis-a-vis another.

• So if I just (as an example) arbitrarily add code where if a city had improved iron local to it, it would build Pouakai's Chartes Cathedral Wonder 15% faster, if you were the author of that mod, how would you feel about it? **
  • Let me be a little more clear: I would not be making direct changes to anyone else's mod, I would be adding "compatibility code" so that if both mods were running then cities with specified improved resources local to them would construct Wonder_X a little faster than otherwise.
  • Obviously there's nothing to "stop" me from making such ancilliary changes to the way a wonder mod works in-game, but I also feel like it may be outside the box of what is really considered "friendly" in a "community" sense.

If you were me, how would you go about proceeding is really the discussion I would like to have, or the advice I would like.

All those "orphan" mods is obviously a different and additional kettle of fish, which for the moment may just better be left to fester into lutefisk.

** and no, this is not a round-about way on my part to get him to give me permission to make such a "change" to his mod, or to get you to give me an opinion on anything Pouakai "ought" to do with regard to this one way or another. I'm using his mod as an example of what my mod would do.

"Asking for permission" is generally a courtesy (and should generally be done).... but you are not even incorporating the contents of his mod (art files, etc) into yours; and as such I do not see any issue with "compatibility" code.

When in doubt, ask yourself how you would feel the same done to yourself.

For me, I'd set the bar at the expectation that a mod will modify the gameplay of stock game elements. I don't think most mods set any expectation that they will be able to modify other mods.

For you, unless there's a way for you to globally change the speed of every modded wonder, past, present, and future without having to manually add 'compatibility' entries for them, I'd leave everyone else's Wonders alone and just modify the stock ones. If you only capture some of the modded Wonders, but not all of them, then it creates confusion and inconsistency as to the expectations from the mod.

Even if you do make compatibility entries for these Wonders, your resource/production boost decisions may not necessarily agree with the original author's, and would make it tough for them to override if they can't get in touch with you for some reason.

Answering the question you asked in the subject line "Would you as creators be offended by a mod that adjusted affect of your mod?" - If that was all it did, "yes". If the mod adds additional creative work (as the one cited does), "no".

Its just a case of compatibility. If you made a mod specifically called "I Fix JFD's terrible Civs" that modifies everything about his mods he would have a reason to be offended, but since your simply changing around build times its just a compatibility code.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll stick with the stock Firaxis wonders / buildings and wait to see if there's enough user-request to warrant concerning myself with expanding into compatibility for other wonder or building mods.

"I Fix JFD's terrible Civs"
I am so tempted to do that very mod as a 4-1-15 thing that actually does nothing. :D

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll stick with the stock Firaxis wonders / buildings and wait to see if there's enough user-request to warrant concerning myself with expanding into compatibility for other wonder or building mods.

I am so tempted to do that very mod as a 4-1-15 thing that actually does nothing. :D

New community project, Fix JFD's Terrible civs Community Patch.

what the hell does JFD stand for?

Now if I could just convince Janboruta to do a mod "cover" image. [edit] Of the 4-1-15 mod, I mean. Though I'm tempted to throw something else into such a mod, like a crazy barbarians thing (hush, DarkScythe)

I think it would be fun to release an ordinary mod, but include an unmentioned super-ultra-raging barbarians component. Like new barbs spawn in every camp every turn.

If you made a mod specifically called "I Fix JFD's terrible Civs" that modifies everything about his mods he would have a reason to be offended

Have you seen his Civ V Trait BalanceGoldPrime++? Honestly, does JFD know anything about balancing civs? :p

Now if I could just convince Janboruta to do a mod "cover" image. [edit] Of the 4-1-15 mod, I mean. Though I'm tempted to throw something else into such a mod, like a crazy barbarians thing (hush, DarkScythe)

I'd want to see the mod cover done by Janboruta... in MS Paint with stick figures! :p

This turned from a thread saying
"Hey do you mind...?" to
"Let's just take the P."

I see no problem with this.
I'm assuming you were responding to the original intent/question of the thread.
This turned from a thread saying
"Hey do you mind...?" to
"Let's just take the P."
Yeah...I guess I did pretty much hijack derail my own thread. Maybe we should all go back to on-topic.

I'm assuming you were responding to the original intent/question of the thread.

Yeah...I guess I did pretty much hijack derail my own thread. Maybe we should all go back to on-topic.

Well basically, from what i can tell, you see, quite possibly from what's been observed, the feedback you have received is probably something to do with, how it could seem like it is probably viewed as totally fine for you to make a mod editing other people's as long as its purely for compatibility.

New community project, Fix JFD's Terrible civs Community Patch.

what the hell does JFD stand for?

What's wrong with JFD's civs? I like his leaderheads.

I think it would be fun to release an ordinary mod, but include an unmentioned super-ultra-raging barbarians component. Like new barbs spawn in every camp every turn.
Just now noticed this comment. See how observant I am?

I, err, kinda already offered that on Steam. Just search for Barbarian Spawn Increase. Then enjoy the barbarian onslaught.

Top Bottom