CivStats.com - View your Pitboss games on the web

For additional Feature requests:

I would love to have the turn timer displayed for each game on the My Games page. It might be a bit busy looking, but the information would be very useful. Maybe even just showing Hours: Minutes so the seconds are needlessly distracting.

Could you allow registered users to "Watch" a game. If the admin hasn't set up passwords, or if it's a multiplayer per team game like Realpolitik or some other type, then it'd be nice to have that game appear under "My Games" even if you can't actually register for it.

-Fosse

Also, does the uploader read the MotD yet? Or is that still missing?

MooManof_ said:
Also, does the uploader read the MotD yet? Or is that still missing?

Oh yeah! I meant to add that early on. I never use the MOTD in my game so I forgot about it. At this point I'll probably add that at the same time I add the remote administration features, that way game admins can change the MOTD right from the webpage.

And Fosse - those are some good suggestions. I've added the "turn timer on My Games page" to my to do list, and I will think about the "watch" feature. I can see how it would be very useful for games like Realpolitik.

Ok, I'll start by examining the remote admin possibilities of the Pitboss python files...

I had planned on keeping all of the remote admin stuff outside of the mod portion of the project. The Uploader will check the web to see if there are any changes to make, probably every 5 minutes, and then execute them (kick out a player, change the MOTD, restart the server, close down the server, maybe even plug in to the saveconvert tool and change some settings, etc.) - but I am interested to find out if there's some things that could be done by adding a python element. For example, can the turn timer be changed via python? Because that would open up a whole new world of possibilities that I would be very excited about exploiting.

The CivStats server is down right now. Someone hacked my server and was hosting a phishing site on it so I took down the whole server until I can get this resolved. The hack was completely unrelated to civstats - it was more likely related to the really old versions of forum software I'm running on my other domains. :(

Just leave your uploaders running - they should cache all of the data that needs to be uploaded, and when the server comes back up they should send all of it. This will be a great test of that feature!

How about some sort of automated scheudling of live sessions (you know, everybody puts in to CivStats when they are available for an online session and if there's a match across all players in a given game, CivStats automatically sends everybody an email notifying them of the possibility of an online session). Too much to ask??? Would be really cool though. :cool:

Looks like the server is down again today... Sucks that an clown has to prove he is cool by hacking a little stat site..

Overload.. how much traffic does your uploader create do you think? I noticed a considerable amount of lag on one game when I have your utility running on my a server on my network.

Thanks,

Todd

Yes, the site will be down for at least a day or two now. I have to have the entire OS reloaded and migrate the data from the old HDD to the new one. Once a server is compromised, there's really not much other option.

As for the amount of traffic - it should be VERY little. The largest uploads are about 1k, and it only does that when player info changes - so whenever someone logs in or out or changes scores. Even on a server where 18 players play their turn every hour, that would be around 60k/hr - certainly not enough to even make a dialup user flinch.

However, I invite you to run a packet sniffer or some sort of monitoring tool to be sure what I said is true - there can always be bugs! An early beta version had the data constantly uploading which caused a lot more traffic than I intended - but that has been fixed since the second realease. :p

Don't forget to check for random giant midget space hamsters :p.

OverloadUT said:
Yes, the site will be down for at least a day or two now. I have to have the entire OS reloaded and migrate the data from the old HDD to the new one. Once a server is compromised, there's really not much other option.

As for the amount of traffic - it should be VERY little. The largest uploads are about 1k, and it only does that when player info changes - so whenever someone logs in or out or changes scores. Even on a server where 18 players play their turn every hour, that would be around 60k/hr - certainly not enough to even make a dialup user flinch.

However, I invite you to run a packet sniffer or some sort of monitoring tool to be sure what I said is true - there can always be bugs! An early beta version had the data constantly uploading which caused a lot more traffic than I intended - but that has been fixed since the second realease. :p
I think Civstats is great, and applaud the amount of effort you put into it...

I feel tho that CivStats is a tad Spoiler-ish. The scores are uploaded by each score change... Carefully studying that information can tell you:
1) Tech trades
2) Any whipping going on

Offcourse in the end this info would be available in the game, but you would have to pay VERY carefull attention to distinguish trades and whips....
Perhaps it would be better to upload only scores on the start of the new turn, not everytime a score changes... What do yall think?

It's certainly an interesting point. It's actually a concern that I directly address in the FAQ on the site, but you can't access that right now. :p

Here's what it said:

me said:
My reasoning is this: The information that's available on civstats.com is the same information that someone could get by just staying logged in to the server and watching. They could see when people log in, and when people's score increases. This means that the unemployed guy that does nothing but log in every hour to check up gets an advantage over the players that can only log in once per day to play their turn. I find that by making the information available to everybody it prevents this slight advantage that a more... jobless person might get. You can tell when two players conduct a technology trade because both of their scores go up at the same time. But then again, you can get that exact same information (even more actually) by closely watching the foreign advisor.

So there you have it. However, I do recognize that it's possible that by some strange cosmic imbalance, people might not feel the exact same way I do. ;)

If there is enough of a demand for a feature like you suggested, I will gladly implement it. :D

When I implement the whole "all of your civ details available on the site" thing, I will probably have a lot of admin-side options allowing the admin to restrict what information is available.

Your development continues to be brilliant...

It would be good to have a wating list of potential players for each existing game so that dropouts for non play could be easily replaced replaced.

BCLG100 said:
Is it just me or has civstats been down for a few days now? how come?
Try reading once in a while:
OverloadUT said:
The CivStats server is down right now. Someone hacked my server and was hosting a phishing site on it so I took down the whole server until I can get this resolved. The hack was completely unrelated to civstats - it was more likely related to the really old versions of forum software I'm running on my other domains. :(
OverloadUT said:
Oh, and don't forget the LAN-party he was running yesterday.

namliaM said:
I feel tho that CivStats is a tad Spoiler-ish. The scores are uploaded by each score change... Carefully studying that information can tell you:
1) Tech trades
2) Any whipping going on

Offcourse in the end this info would be available in the game, but you would have to pay VERY carefull attention to distinguish trades and whips....
Perhaps it would be better to upload only scores on the start of the new turn, not everytime a score changes... What do yall think?

Spoilers are out-of-game information about the game. The score-changes that civstats shows is in-game information, so can not be considered a spoiler. As you already mentioned yourself, you could decipher it yourself if you paid enough attention to the ingame scores. These things are a bit like micromanagement (which is still very much alive in Civ4, BTW). The more time you invest, the more information you get (and potentially, the better you can play).

Ya got an estimate of when you think you might have the site back up? You were planning for yesterday originally, so I'm hoping you'll have it back up soon. I know we're all anxious to see our stats again... :)

HitAnyKey said:
Ya got an estimate of when you think you might have the site back up? You were planning for yesterday originally, so I'm hoping you'll have it back up soon. I know we're all anxious to see our stats again... :)

I was really hoping it was going to be up yesterday, but there were complications when my host was reinstalling the operating system aparently. They've been keeping me in the loop; they are doing the last steps now, and then I just need to configure the civstats.com and restore the database from the backup I made right before it went down.

It's killing me as a player too! I didn't realize how much I depend on my own creation! ;)

Edit: So in short, hopefully all the reinstallation should be done tonight, and I'll stay up late getting the site back online, or at the very worst it should be tomorrow and I'll work on it during the day.

Top Bottom