Corporal Punishment - Do You Condone it?

CurtSibling

ENEMY ACE™
Do you, then?

Time to resurrect this interesting debate!

The hitting or beating of children for disciplinary reasons, would you say this is right?

Is it a person's private business what they do to instil a child's sense of behaviour?

Or is it wrong in our age to hit a kid period?

Are there better ways to make a child behave?

Your opinions or stories about the issue are welcome...

In that case I'll resurrect my response from the last time:

I am not prepared to support legislation as to how parents discipline their children. Personally, I've turned out pretty well with the occasional spank in my early youth, and I think that when children are of the age when their reasoning is not as up-to-speed as their sensory input, a serious infraction (to me, a safety-related one) does merit a spank - very transient pain, quickly over, tends to reinforce the parent's authority, and a lesson learned more viscerally.

I am against the hitting of a child but I think there should be a distinction made between hitting and smacking. Hitting is excessive force and falls under child abuse, whereas smacking is light tap to instill discipline. Hitting should, and is (in Britain) illegal. Smacking isn't and shouldn't be illegal.

Originally posted by MrPresident
I am against the hitting of a child but I think there should be a distinction made between hitting and smacking. Hitting is excessive force and falls under child abuse, whereas smacking is light tap to instill discipline. Hitting should, and is (in Britain) illegal. Smacking isn't and shouldn't be illegal.

Would you have any way of distinguishing between the two? One magistrate's hit is no doubt another's smack.

Spare the rod, spoil the child. There's a lot of kids out there in dire need of a good ass-whuppin'.

edit: (Like CurtSibling :) )

I happen to agree with Curt here...

Which doesn't change anything about the fact that a whole bunch of the kids I see on the streeet should be put into a bootcamp. :p

Originally posted by CurtSibling
I was never hit as a lad - And it done me no harm.

Violence is only an outlet for the frustrations of abusive parents.

I was spanked as a lad, and it did me no harm and I think a bit of good.

Parents that are truly doing what they think best for the child (and the child doing better as a result) are labelled abusive? :rolleyes:

in very mild doses it's ok and should not be the first punishment used. but it's better to not do it if at all possible imo

First of all let me start off by saying that I never knew that these types of forums existed here at civ fanatics. I think they are great no matter what side of an argument one is on. Second, and more on your alls topic, I think there is an obvious point between child abuse and spanking a child for discipline matters. I also feel that one can discipline their child without any violence whatsoever.

Welcome to the forums. More specifically, welcome to the Corporal punishment thread (savagely backhands Ruchelli, and watches with binoculars as Ruchelli sails through the air and thunks into the bullseye) Yes! (pumps fist in air):lol:

Hitting is a breakdown in communication, nothing more. Learn how to communicate and you wont have to resort to violence against the wee folk.

I was just kidding around. I don't know the first thing about CurtSibling, aside from his skeleton-in-nazi-regalia avatar and his 12,000 posts (!). He's probably a nice guy, pays his taxes, stays out of trouble (w/ 12,000 posts, where does one find the time to make trouble!), what have you.

In all seriousness, I've got no problem with responsible corporal punishment. If fact, I see the unconditional LACK of corporal punishment as but one of many factors in the breakdown of discipline seen throughout society. Particularly in schools.

I remember that big fuss a number of years ago about htat delinquent U.S. kid who got caned in Singapore. I heard his sentence and thought: That's IT? Why the big fuss? I would rather take that than a year or two in prison. Get a few whacks on the bum and go home. Pain goes away, prison time doesn't.

As for use on kids, be more gentle, and use that sort of punishment sparingly.

I'm opposed to corporeal punishment, of children and adults. I'm afraid that's basically a bit of unprocesssed ideology acquired from the society I grew up in, but I'm not aware of any evidence that corporeal punishment is more effective than the alternatives, and thus consider it an example of unnecessary violence.

As far as I recall, I was subjected to corporeal punishment once in my childhood; I and my brother had been climbing on the car in heavy winter boots and our parents were really mad. I don't think the episode resulted in any lasting changes for good or bad.

Corporal punishment is gettin' strapped in school with a
piece of car tire.

Parents spank their kids.

In both cases it depends on the kid. With parents they KNOW
the kid (it's them, isn't it) and know if it's needs a spanking or
a talkin'

Strappin' school kids just gives the Kid status, if they don't cry.(absolutley useless)

"I don't think the episode resulted in any lasting changes for good or bad."

You never did it again, though, did you? Granted, there's no way of ever knowing now if a stern reprimand would've accomplished the same thing, but I'll wager you thought twice about EVER climbing on the car again in heavy boots.

As for the Singapore caning, I thought the same thing, too ... until I learned how wickedly serious a genuine caning is. It's more serious than a few swats on the bum. That being said, I then became even MORE supportive of caning. You can bet that kid never went back to Singapore again, or if he did, he sure as hell stayed out of trouble. Either way, Singapore was spared his inane destructive behaviour.

I don't believe violence should be a first option, nor is it appropriate in all cases. Likewise, it's a mistake to unilaterally ban it - sadly, violence is often the only thing some people understand.

Originally posted by gorn
"I don't think the episode resulted in any lasting changes for good or bad."

You never did it again, though, did you? Granted, there's no way of ever knowing now if a stern reprimand would've accomplished the same thing, but I'll wager you thought twice about EVER climbing on the car again in heavy boots.

I never did again, no. I however believe that had less to do with the actual spanking than with a) the very stern reprimand I also got and b) me realizing what I did could have had caused my parents considerably financial pain (according to my mother, a pre-school teacher, I was uncharacteristically easily swayed by rational argumentation for a little boy).

Originally posted by CurtSibling
Do you, then?

Time to resurrect this interesting debate!

The hitting or beating of children for disciplinary reasons, would you say this is right?

Is it a person's private business what they do to instil a child's sense of behaviour?

Or is it wrong in our age to hit a kid period?

Are there better ways to make a child behave?

Your opinions or stories about the issue are welcome...

No.

Top Bottom