Civ 5/Steam:Offline Mode Question

Steam stole $20 from me

i got a Half Life 1 complete collection about 3 years ago that i cant play because i dont have my account info and its registered with a email that i dont use anymore so im :):):):)ed out of $20 and thats why Steam can go :):):):) themselves im never again buying a Steam game for as long as i live :mad:

this is how simple it needs to be
1. Install Game
2. Play game

You forgetting your account doesn't make steam evil. It makes you stupid.

Moderator Action: please don;t call people stupid
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Steam stole $20 from me

i got a Half Life 1 complete collection about 3 years ago that i cant play because i dont have my account info and its registered with a email that i dont use anymore so im :):):):)ed out of $20 and thats why Steam can go :):):):) themselves im never again buying a Steam game for as long as i live :mad:

Uh...how is this any different than putting $20 in a bank safety deposit box and then losing the key?
Would that be the bank's fault?
:confused:

Uh...how is this any different than putting $20 in a bank safety deposit box and then losing the key?

There is a big difference... with "normal" software, you have the package, the DVD, the manual, everything. You break or lose the DVD, your fault.

But with Steam, and digital download as well... if something like this happens; which it is not as difficult as some paranoid users may think it is; you are screwed. Even if you have the game itself, in Civ 5 case, you would still be out of luck (am i wrong?)

Much easier to lose a password than a game box.

azzaman333 said:
You forgetting your account doesn't make steam evil. It makes you stupid.

You speak for yourself with a quote like that.

There is a big difference... with "normal" software, you have the package, the DVD, the manual, everything. You break or lose the DVD, your fault.

But with Steam, and digital download as well... if something like this happens; which it is not as difficult as some paranoid users may think it is; you are screwed. Even if you have the game itself, in Civ 5 case, you would still be out of luck (am i wrong?)

You are wrong. My brother had his steam account stolen (through stupidity on his part) and was able to get it back by proving it was his account showing images of the games he owned.

You speak for yourself with a quote like that.

I'm not going to forget my steam account's password because I'm not stupid? Huh?

Much easier to lose a password than a game box.
I'm sorry...but I don't see how your reply related to my post

I compared losing one's Steam account (worth $20 in the original post) to losing a key to a safe deposit box (containing $20)...either way you lose access to the contents ($20) due to your own forgetfulness, not the fault of the other party (Steam or the bank).

My comment had nothing whatsoever to do with the relative merits of digital vs. physical distribution or with other ways of losing access to your Steam account.
I can only imagine you were not interested in responding to my point and had a totally unrelated point to make...in which case why did you quote my post?

I'm not going to forget my steam account's password because I'm not stupid? Huh?

It has nothing to do with stupidity. The only thing stupid was that comment calling the forum member stupid.

----------

Regardless, the likelihood of lost password/etc is greater than the likelihood of a lost software product from the store. Being that he was unable to show the game itself (being he may have had a digital download), he would then be unable to retrieve his information and software. I don't even know what you are referring to as game images, are you talking about pictures of his game boxes? pictures of the games while he plays them?

I forgot my password and account once and just mailed their support.
After a few emails I got it all back..

Someone should start up a steam haters support group where all you guys can get together and hug each other.

I forgot my password and account once and just mailed their support.
After a few emails I got it all back..

Someone should start up a steam haters support group where all you guys can get together and hug each other.

In case you missed it, the email address used at the time long ago was no longer the user's email. In that case, according to azz, his brother sent pictures to steam, and after they examined the pictures, they reinstated his brothers account. So, what you mentioned would not work in the other members situation.

Most here I doubt hate steam, I don't even hate steam. My real only gripe is forcing internet for install which is almost as bad as forced internet to play. It's just one step below it.

There are very large groups of Steam members that have joined groups that have valid complaints of Steam themselves. To attack members with valid concerns and to assume that Steam is 'Perfect' and can use no improvement is faulty.

It is an interesting balance...and not as cut and dried as one side or the other would like to make out.

Over the years I have lost/accidentally damaged/worn out more game CDs than I care to remember. I'm guessing it is something on the order of seven or eight out of 200+ games (I had something of an addiction when I was younger :blush:)

At the same time I haven't really been in danger of losing the whole lot in one fell swoop as appears to be possible (although clearly not probable) with Steam. Well other than catastrophic house fire, theft, flood or similar rare events...

It is not dissimilar to other cases where a few incidents that cause a large loss get more attention than many many incidents that cause small loss even though the sum of the small incidents far outweighs the sum of the large. It is human nature to focus on the larger incidents as they appear more significant (and blame can be attached to someone...we do love a good blamefest), whereas in reality the many small losses should garner attention.

The best analogy I can come up with (and yes, I realize this is on a completely different level in terms of its real world importance) relates to accidents...many thousands of people die on the roads every year but a handful of plane crashes overshadows them all, to the point that some people refuse to fly, even though the statistics clearly show air travel is far safer mile for mile.

I would love to see the actual statistics (totals) for lost access to purchased games through loss/damage/wearing out of physical media vs. loss of access to games through lost/suspended Steam accounts (normalized for difference in market size of course). My instincts tells me the numbers won't even be close, but maybe your instincts will be different. ;) Of course those statistics are unlikely to ever be available in a verifiable way so all that remains is guesswork, speculation and the ever popular anecdote.

Does Steam provide more insurance against loss or less?
Frankly I don't see how anyone can tell for sure...but I guarantee opinions will be varied, and most of them will be perfectly valid.
Risk assessment in the absence of reliable statistics is a very personal thing.

It has nothing to do with stupidity. The only thing stupid was that comment calling the forum member stupid.

I didn't call him stupid. I said that forgetting the password to your steam account is stupid.

Regardless, the likelihood of lost password/etc is greater than the likelihood of a lost software product from the store. Being that he was unable to show the game itself (being he may have had a digital download), he would then be unable to retrieve his information and software. I don't even know what you are referring to as game images, are you talking about pictures of his game boxes? pictures of the games while he plays them?

Pictures of the serial number of the game. Apparently you can also prove that a method of payment used to buy games digitally can also be used to prove its your account.

And from personal experience I'm more likely to lose a disc than my password.

And from personal experience I'm more likely to lose a disc than my password.

This, exactly. Complaining about steam because you're absent minded makes no sense - this is your problem and it will affect you no matter what you are trying to achieve.

Sure, this is then my own fault.

But if they force me to use a deposit box, even when i would like to store my money under my pillow, then i still can partially blame them.

Sure, this is then my own fault.

But if they force me to use a deposit box, even when i would like to store my money under my pillow, then i still can partially blame them.

See...the part of this I take issue with is the 'force' part.
Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.

You may dislike the choices you are offered, I'm not that thrilled with them myself but at the end of the day you make a decision and take responsibility for the outcome, unless of course circumstances change and promises/contracts are broken at which point I'll be in line right alongside you to complain.

I don't like being 'forced' to buy access to 200+ cable channels to watch the handful of channels I am interested in, so I don't buy cable (cancelled it years ago), and nobody can force me to. I made a choice.

I don't like being 'forced' to buy access to 200+ cable channels to watch the handful of channels I am interested in, so I don't buy cable (cancelled it years ago), and nobody can force me to. I made a choice.

And now your ISP tells you that you have to accept those TV channels in order to be still alllowed to go online.
Would you be happy with such an "offer" (without any option) from your ISP?

"Why are you hesitating? Do you really think the cable channels will eat your soul? Are you really such a paranoid? Don't you realize that this is what modern times are about?"
With such questions you might be confronted in this assumed scenario.

That is almost the situation for Civ5 single players now.

If you wish to play Civ 5, you are forced to accept Steam; otherwise you cannot play the game. You are also forced to have internet; because if you buy Civ 5 and do not; you cannot play the game.

Therefore, people will make decisions and use their choice to buy the game or to not buy the game, with one of the reasons being that they will be forced to accept steam and they will be forced to have internet in order to play the game they just bought.

What you are describing is different... no one is forcing anyone to buy Civ 5. People are disappointed with Firaxis/2K decision to go along a halfway-to-Ubisoft route.

If Steam forced players to stay online while playing offline games, I doubt anyone here would be sticking up for them, but what they do now isn't incredibly different.

And now your ISP tells you that you have to accept those TV channels in order to be still alllowed to go online.
Would you be happy with such an "offer" (without any option) from your ISP?

"Why are you hesitating? Do you really think the cable channels will eat your soul? Are you really such a paranoid? Don't you realize that this is what modern times are about?"
With such questions you might be confronted in this assumed scenario.

That is almost the situation for Civ5 single players now.

You don't pay any extra for steam, your argument is invalid and stupid.

Moderator Action: please don;t troll

People are disappointed with Firaxis/2K decision to go along a halfway-to-Ubisoft route.

Every single modern mainstream game does this, so I guess people are just going to have to dry their eyes and get over it or stop buying games.

Every single modern mainstream game does this, so I guess people are just going to have to dry their eyes and get over it or stop buying games.

Every single modern mainstream game does not do this. False. I am not correct in everything I say, I have the integrity to admit it... but you make stuff up in your dreamworld and speak it as truth on a regular basis.

While people may be crying over this, you will eventually need to see a doctor from all the tingles, chills, and exciting dreams you have of Steamworks.

Moderator Action: this is unacceptable on the forums

Every single modern mainstream game does not do this. False. I am not correct in everything I say, I have the integrity to admit it... but you make stuff up in your dreamworld and speak it as truth on a regular basis.

Got a citation for that, big boy, or just more childish "you want to marry steam!" comments?

Got a citation for that, big boy, or just more childish "you want to marry steam!" comments?

I hate to ask... but although I am not the most pleasant person on the forums, you seem to be very 'angry'. I don't want to get all Dr. Phil on you, but did something bad happen to you as a child? (serious question, I am a bit concerned for Chalks)

Top Bottom