US Midterms - Predictions and Aftereffects

looks like they are in reverse, doesn't the front of the car point toward the GOP?

But still :lol:

Nah, you can tell by the door handle and the rear-view mirror.

Apparently the voters like paying taxes for the government to do nothing. That's what will happen when they take control.

We really need a restructuring of our political system it just does not work right now with two parties. If the president is the opposite part of the party that has control of the house/senate then he can just veto whatever they propose as long as they don't have a significant majority.

Who-ever said politics was best when nothing was done clearly was a moron. That's not why we have an elected government, to do nothing. There is plenty of stuff in this country that needs fixing.

in '94 the GOP took the House with Bill Clinton in the WH and our economy did fairly well and we stopped bleeding debt by the bucketload. You think we did better during the last 3 decades when the crooks agreed to rip us off "fixing" things? I dont think you understand how our system works...

Moron?

Nah, you can tell by the door handle and the rear-view mirror.

Yer right, I'm used to older cars with wing windows (front) and gas caps/lids on the side behind the door, but that is a mirror.

in '94 the GOP took the House with Bill Clinton in the WH and our economy did fairly well and we stopped bleeding debt by the bucketload. You think we did better during the last 3 decades when the crooks agreed to rip us off "fixing" things? I dont think you understand how our system works...

Moron?

I wouldn't call reducing debt the only worthwhile thing we could do with this country. Democrats and republicans both realize the extent of the debt and will probably cooperate on some plans to fix it.

There is more to the role of government then balancing the budget. Its unfortunate that in our two party system the one party has to have control to get anything that isn't completely moderate, agreeable, and watered down done. It's hard to compromise with two parties that don't think alike on much.

... the Dems will get creamed, and the President will have to move right to get anything done. I am hoping that a compromise can be reached in regard to education. Frankly, it seems that the Republicans and Obama have the most common ground with education and the war, though I think the war common ground is tenuous at best.

It remains to be seen who will get the credit when the economy recovers... though historically Presidents seem to get the "credit" for the boom and for the bust.

I wouldn't call reducing debt the only worthwhile thing we could do with this country. Democrats and republicans both realize the extent of the debt and will probably cooperate on some plans to fix it.

There is more to the role of government then balancing the budget. Its unfortunate that in our two party system the one party has to have control to get anything that isn't completely moderate, agreeable, and watered down done. It's hard to compromise with two parties that don't think alike on much.

You dare question our AMERICAN system!

*Colonel runs and calls the execution squads*

:nuke::nuke::nuke:

I never called it the only worthwhile thing we could do, but if that was true we wouldn't be TRILLIONS in debt. And I'm not even including the many trillions in future debt because one party or the bi-partisans agreed to promise people money today for their progeny to pay in the future.

They think alike when it comes to spending $$$ to "fix" things...

Moron?

I never called it the only worthwhile thing we could do (Jesus H Christ, enough with the strawmen), but if that was true we wouldn't be TRILLIONS in debt. And I'm not even including the many trillions in future debt because one party or the bi-partisans agreed to promise people money today for their progeny to pay in the future.

It wasnt so much a strawman despite what it sounded like. I'm pretty sure you dont want the government to do just do deficit cutting, but asides from that they wont get much done. I still stand by my point they wont get much done in congress besides trimming the budget which is your claim of bi-partisinship in 94.
They think alike when it comes to spending $$$ to "fix" things...

Moron?

No they dont think alike when it comes to spending $$$ on how to fix things. I dont know if that was a response to my quote but to clarify, I meant they dont think alike on much but realize they have to work together on major issues like the public debt.

If they cant work together on healthcare or financial reform I dont see much hope for the direction this country is heading in.

It wasnt so much a strawman despite what it sounded like. I'm pretty sure you dont want the government to do just do deficit cutting, but asides from that they wont get much done. I still stand by my point they wont get much done in congress besides trimming the budget which is your claim of bi-partisinship in 94.

It was only bi-partisan in that Clinton had to compromise with the GOP, and that was preceded by the dreaded gridlock (remember how they "shut down the govt"?). When the two parties agree, we're usually getting screwed. Our foreign policy mistakes were bi-partisan and elective, ie unnecessary, and led right up to 9/11 and the mess we've been in since. The S&L scam of the 80s was the precursor to the housing bubble that just blew up in our faces (gotta make housing "affordable" blah blah blah - even Bush was spouting that nonsense). Is it really a surprise the last real estate bubble happened under Reagan and Daddy Bush?

No they dont think alike when it comes to spending $$$ on how to fix things

Sure they do, why do you think the budget has ballooned into the trillions? Their disagreements are minor in that respect, when it comes to spending they cant flush it fast enough. Thats why I welcome the "tea party" candidates and wish them success, a few "radicals" are needed in Congress to unsettle the comfortable and shine some light on whats goin on... They agree on taxing and spending to win re-election via vote buying, thats the name of that game...

I think it's important for folks to understand that voters aren't voting dozens of Dems out because they've fallen in love with Republicans, or even Republican policies. This is about punishing Democrats. Voters still have historically low opinions of the GOP as a party, and of many leading GOP initiatives.

You want Gridlock, you got gridlock. There will be no common ground now. One poster said that perhaps the President and the GOP will have Education as a common ground. The DOE was running nearly exactly like Bush's...with an emphasis on union busting, promoting charters, alt certification, targeted grants, etc. This new GOP class wants to get rid of the DOE entirely. There is no common ground.

You need to register to vote prior to any given election in most states I believe but each state is a little bit different on deadlines and such.

You only need to register once per home address.

Suppose I registered for my new address but the polling place I have to go to is stupidly far, can I go to my old polling place and cast an emergency ballot or whatever?

No. You won't be on their list.

Well it's amazing to me that republicans get so many votes as it is. Quite honestly, the only demographic that favors them is some middle class to wealthy white americans. Blacks and minorities almost never vote republican (IRCC its less than 10% of blacks that do vote, vote republican).

If everyone was required to vote in the elections I dont think the Republicans would have a chance of winning, because how many votes would they get other than from the middle class and wealthy white americans? Middle class americans are divided between republican and democratic now as it is.

IIRC, an estimate was done where the claim was made that requiring everyone to vote probably would not change outcomes significantly.

Honestly, the Republicans win on greed, selfishness, bigotry, fear, and a few other factors. In other words, people who only give a damn about themselves, and people who want to hurt others. Take those factors out of the equation, and the party collapses.

I think it's important for folks to understand that voters aren't voting dozens of Dems out because they've fallen in love with Republicans, or even Republican policies. This is about punishing Democrats. Voters still have historically low opinions of the GOP as a party, and of many leading GOP initiatives.

You want Gridlock, you got gridlock. There will be no common ground now. One poster said that perhaps the President and the GOP will have Education as a common ground. The DOE was running nearly exactly like Bush's...with an emphasis on union busting, promoting charters, alt certification, targeted grants, etc. This new GOP class wants to get rid of the DOE entirely. There is no common ground.

This is what I think as well. Obama and the House Republicans will be at total odds. Perhaps even a remake of the 1995 federal government shutdown. I have a feeling the House Republicans will demand the tax cuts be extended and the budget balanced and Obama will not be willing nor able to do so.

This is what I think as well. Obama and the House Republicans will be at total odds. Perhaps even a remake of the 1995 federal government shutdown. I have a feeling the House Republicans will demand the tax cuts be extended and the budget balanced and Obama will not be willing nor able to do so.

The irony, of course, is that Congressional Republicans will offer no cuts except to Obamacare, and insist on tax cuts. And then expect Obama to offer all the spending cuts. Not gonna be a pretty sight.

No. You won't be on their list.

Alright, but can't I vote in any polling place in my district? There's one polling place down the road from me, but there's another one further away (like a mile or 2), can I vote in either of them, I mean it's the same area, same town, so the same candidate, same ballot questions. I should be on both their lists right?

I don't know what they do where you live, but in this state, when you register at a given living address, they tell you which polling station you are to vote at.

World Wrestling Entertainment is running events, giving away clothing, ad even running tv commercials, to support Linda McMahon's campaign. :p

I have a feeling we're gonna lose a lot of good men tomorrow, namely Alan Grayson and Russ Feingold. :(

I don't even care anymore, as long as I win my race. I've worked too long, been too depressed, been too humiliated, and made too many sacrifices for it all to be for naught.

Indiana's 2nd district. I've given up on Ellsworth (his campaign disbanded last week, and I haven't done any work for him in a month), and the statewide guys are all going to get murdered. Most of my work was for very local guys, and for IN02

Top Bottom