Death of an Obama fanboy

Clinton? She's about as helpful as a barrel of faeces.

Agreeing with you is inflammatory? Or are you still a fanboi? What?

Also, barrel of feaces is a pretty darn near exact estimate of the helpfulness of Hillary Clinton to the American public.

This thread is a perfect example of what OT will become if we merge the forums. Sneak-censorship and stupidity-rule elitist idiocy.

Don't lose hope?

Well, it's a little embarrassing but here's the truth; you are royally F:ed in the A until you take to the F:ing streets and reclaim you dignity.

If it's any consolation you're not alone.

Suburbs have been burning for five days straight over here.

*Golf Clap*

Moderator Action: Purzhaze,
Hobbs has made this a Red Diamond thread meaning that he has requested more moderation and a higher level of discussion. Your posts are mostly inappropriate or off topic. Please read the Red Diamond thread here before you post in this thread again.

Your join date and post count would indicate that you are new to our forums. I urge you to read through the rules and post more carefully. Thanks.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Pull things out of context and blame the icon of the thread. Why dont you?

I think Obama should be judged according to his VORL (value over replacement leader), which in this case is most reasonably McCain. I'm of the personal conviction that Things wouldn't be much better under McCain (quite possibly worse, even).

This opinion might come off as a bit equivocal but that's only because I don't see enough to complain about in Obama to make a federal case of it unless we were to equally indict all politicians. But since the business of politics is the business of lesser evils a little equivocation is called for.

I would love to hear more about Space Policy.. So if Hobbs, or anyone else for that matter, can explain the perspectives to a layman go right ahead.
I know that a lot of our current technology can be traced back to the moonlanding. Do we know anything about what's at stake in our time? And to stay on topic; what has Obama done/not done, and does the avarage american feel that this is relevant at all?

EDIT: I recently read an article about NASA starting a research project with 3D-printing food. The goal of the experiment is to print a pizza from different kinds of powder. Apparently this is one of the major challenges with a manned Mars landing. I cant help but thinking about the perspectives if this turns out to be possible..

US foreign standing has improved substantially in DK since Obama got elected. It actually shifted from a relationship of disgust to a balanced receptiveness, at least.

I disagree.

Guatanamo is still open, more and more drones mistakenly murder Pakistani civilians. The drone part of US foreign policy is expanding not contracting, my friend has Pakistani relatives and the words they use is "hate" for America.

Than if you're a Briton you have Obama meddling in our European relations, his tacit approval of Argentinean sabre rattling and his churchill bust hatred.

The only thing this President has changed is his pigmentation.

You missed the "in DK"? Denmark doesn't give a damn about the Falklands.

Hence "if you're a briton" to start that part...

Duuhhrrrr....

Honestly, I don't think many people in the Netherlands care about The Drones.

I want to specifically address these two very important parts of your OP, but I got here after a few people (including yourself) had made some points I would have made, so I'll quote them first...

Basically, I agree with you, but I also agree with the "apologists" (in quotes 'cause I'm about to agree with them) above:

He's not been awesome. But, here's my point: he's been better than the alternatives. We had 2 choices, basically: Obama or McCain; Obama or Romney. I think it's important that you look at the alternative. Would either choice, either time, have been better?

That's what matters. I'm often disappointed in Obama, on a number of issues, but the fact remains: would the alternative have been better? On every issue that matters to you, would the alternative have been better?

That's why I support him, despite my frequent disappointments. Would McCain/Palin have done things differently? Probably. Would they be better? Would Romney/Ryan have done things differently? Probably. Would they be better?

Yeah, lesser of two evils is a bad choice to be presented with. But, to be honest, I think of it more as tarnished good vs. actual evil. We'd probably be at war with Iran. We wouldn't even have the Affordable Care Act, as flawed as it is. Billionaires would be paying less taxes, not ever so slightly more. Do you think McCain/Romney would have implemented Lilly Ledbetter? Who would they have appointed instead of Sotomayor & Kagan? Would either one have ended the Iraq War and/or be willing to end Afghanistan?

Obama's not great. I don't suggest anyone be a fanboy. But compared to the alternative? Don't lose Hope.

This is also a key point. Neither McCain nor Romney were at all acceptable as presidents. And for their utter incompence you need look no further than their VP choices.

Guantanamo and drone strikes definitely give the States a bad name in any country. Obviously.
So your claim is that US foreign standing has not improved substantially in DK since Obama got elected, because of Guantanomo and drone strikes. You don't think the issues of Bush's presidency outweigh those?

I can guarantee you that in the Netherlands they do.

Drones, I have only seen anybody who actually cared here. I mean sometimes there is in the news a typical "drone bombing kills innocent children" or something, but it happens so few times... and Guantanamo is a shame indeed, but hey Obama tried his best with Obamacare so we like him and all. Besides, he's not Bush. That earns him a few points more in my books.

I've been to The Netherlands and while I can't speak for the natives, I didn't do my straightest thinking there to put it mildly.

I'm going to need better evidence please.
I can only tell you what I experience with regard to our media and political talking points personally and in talk shows. Bush was massively unpopular, Obama is massively popular. Iraq has had a much more negative influence than maintaining Guantanomo and drone strikes. And creating Guantanomo has had a much more negative impact than maintaining it. Then there's the way perception of Bush vs Obama stacks up. Which again is massively in favour of Obama.

There is definitely criticism, but compared with his predecessor it has improved greatly. To me, experiencing it day by day it's evident. I can't produce polls (which I don't trust anyway) so take it or leave it.

But if you disagree, as Quackers does, I'd still like to know the motivation.

Lol. I don't disagree as such, I'm just saying by the time I'd finished my stint in Amsterdam I'd probably have claimed Obama was actually a Lithuanian antelope disguised as a spanner, I'd had such a crazy fortnight.

I'm just taking the piss saying that I don't place a great deal of stead in the opinions of the locals either if they are having half as much fun.

his churchill bust hatred.

What's this now?

I vaguely recall something about a bust (in the white house? in the oval office?) being moved, but I didn't pay attention. Can you elaborate? And explain what the problem is?

Just curious, I know it's off topic.

What's this now?

I vaguely recall something about a bust (in the white house? in the oval office?) being moved, but I didn't pay attention. Can you elaborate? And explain what the problem is?

Just curious, I know it's off topic.

In the history of blowing things entirely out of proportion, this one gets at least an honorable mention.

Quackers said:
Guantanamo and drone strikes definitely give the States a bad name in any country. Obviously.

Drones are a massively overhyped issue. The only reason you think it's a problem is because the media has successfully sensationalized it.

That said, I don't think we can be too critical of Obama's not wanting the bust of a man who was, avowedly, quite racist.

Top Bottom