D&D 3.5 Play-by-post: discussion (and possibly recruitment)

Well, I'm sorry NWAG but you can't just have your way when making a logically made character. Your agreement of playing in a specific setting is already subjecting yourself to "arbitrary restrictions," and these "arbitrary restrictions" are in place to make the game play like a game of D&D and not GTA.

Setting is not an arbitrary restriction because it is a world the character is in. They can still follow their basic nature within that world (running into consequences of course, but still following their nature).

I've edited my previous post, and reposting here. Can somebody do me a favor and tell me anything still wrong? I used a character-creation program originally, so I assumed it would not be too inaccurate.

EDIT: Made some more alterations for equipment.

Player: Neverwonagame3
Name: Wiu Joi
Race: Human
Class: Sorceror Level 1
Hit Points: 8
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Religion: Boccob (God of Magic)

Looks: Tends to be standing with a consistently tall and straight posture, with a good-looking face (high charisma). He has a good manner, but as far as looks goes his weakness is that his hands are for some reason very hairy.
Height: 4'12
Weight: 122 lb
Familiar: Snake

Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 11 (+0)
Constitution: 14 (+2)
Intelligence: 13 (+1)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 16 (+3)

Money: 0

Base Attack Bonus: 0
Fortitude Save: 0
Will Save: 2
Reflex Save: 0

AC: 0
(No armour or shield equipped- just peasant's clothing)

Skills:
Bluff: 4
Concentration: 4
Profession (magical advisor): 4
Spellcraft: 4

Feats:
-Toughness
-Toughness

Spells:
EDIT: Oops. Choosing:

1st Level:
-Summon Monster
-Disguise Person

0th Level:
-Ray of Frost
-Daze
-Ghost Sound
Languages:
-Common, Orc

Equipment:
-3 barrels (potential to hide in)
-23 rations
-1 peasant's outfit
-20 feed per day
-1 pony
-1 wagon
AC is 10, not 0.

EDIT: You have 12 hit points, not 8. 4 (hit die) + 2 (Con bonus) + 3 (Toughness) + 3 (Toughness) = 12.

O.K. Sorry about that.

Player: Neverwonagame3
Name: Wiu Joi
Race: Human
Class: Sorceror Level 1
Hit Points: 12
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Religion: Boccob (God of Magic)

Looks: Tends to be standing with a consistently tall and straight posture, with a good-looking face (high charisma). He has a good manner, but as far as looks goes his weakness is that his hands are for some reason very hairy.
Height: 4'12
Weight: 122 lb
Familiar: Snake

Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 11 (+0)
Constitution: 14 (+2)
Intelligence: 13 (+1)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 16 (+3)

Money: 0

Base Attack Bonus: 0
Fortitude Save: 0
Will Save: 2
Reflex Save: 0

AC: 10
(No armour or shield equipped- just peasant's clothing)

Skills:
Bluff: 4
Concentration: 4
Profession (magical advisor): 4
Spellcraft: 4

Feats:
-Toughness
-Toughness

Spells:
EDIT: Oops. Choosing:

1st Level:
-Summon Monster
-Disguise Person

0th Level:
-Ray of Frost
-Daze
-Ghost Sound
Languages:
-Common, Orc

Equipment:
-3 barrels (potential to hide in)
-23 rations
-1 peasant's outfit
-20 feed per day
-1 pony
-1 wagon

Did you buy a spell component pouch?

Expressing deep interest

Edit: soo... what I only need to do is create a character and send it to one of the DMs?
(My excel is not working, it will be fixed soon however)

Why is the limit on 4-6 people? With a forum game it will be much easier to keep track of everyone, and as things go slower it allows the DM(s) to spend more time on individual people. Anyways if you are starting imeadiatly I might join later(if there is space) because as I said I won't have much time before the 3rd of july. Also unlike Tasslehoff i belive the most important people who are willing to devote time and not so much that they know all the rules in and out.

oyzar: It actually goes slower the more people are involved (partly because often, you're waiting on one person's move or response - not only in combat either).

So guys, let's use this thread for general D&D PbP recruitment and discussion, and then individual games can post their own threads to play in.

SO:

I have changed my mind (again). I will not be playing in flyingchicken's game. I will DM a second game, so anyone who wants to play but can't fit into that game can play in mine.

Spoiler the vibe :
My game will be very beginner-friendly, meaning knowing how to RP is more important than knowing the game rules; but that's not to say that more advanced/experienced guys and girls can't play too. Start at ECL 4 - that means level 4 (if you're not using non-standard races, which we won't be), including the associated starting cash: 5400 delicious gold pieces. You can start with anything your money can buy, including intelligent magic items if you so wish - but make it realistic. No experienced adventurer is going to run around with a crazy magic sword and nothing else.

I want everyone who is to play in the game to post in this thread only the following: character race, class, and a quick summary ("A six-foot-nine beast of a human paladin with a heart of gold." "A brooding elf bard who wields a repeating crossbow." etc), so that other players know more or less what the party is like. Then, PM me a prose description of the character (appearance, background, personality, etc etc), and if you know how to create the character sheet, that too. When I create the game thread, I will introduce everyone to the party characters in the first post.

You're welcome to make use of material from other Wizards of the Coast sourcebooks than the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide - just ask me first.

We will use an honour system for die rolls. That means that, if you need to roll something, you do it yourself, and report the results in honest fashion. Use real dice, online die-rollers - whatever you like. However, I will make most rolls.

Should we have combat, you will have 24 hours to post. If you don't, we will either assume you delay initiative, or I will choose an action for you.

I will cap the game at five players, so the first five to send me prose character descriptions get the spots.

EDIT: more details.
Spoiler :
I'm using a variant version of Toughness. You gain an additional hit point at every level, including retroactively. You also gain an additional +2 hit points when you take this feat. However, you can only take it once.

For abilities: point buy (28 points). This means you can use 16 14 12 12 10 10, arranged however you want; or you can buy points (up to 14 costs a point; 15-16 costs two points; 17-18 costs three points). No score can be higher than 18. Remember that, being 4th level, you get one point assigned to any ability score of your choosing.

I sent my response ;)

(All living creatures shall fear me :mwaha: (not))

Why is the limit on 4-6 people? With a forum game it will be much easier to keep track of everyone, and as things go slower it allows the DM(s) to spend more time on individual people. Anyways if you are starting imeadiatly I might join later(if there is space) because as I said I won't have much time before the 3rd of july. Also unlike Tasslehoff i belive the most important people who are willing to devote time and not so much that they know all the rules in and out.

It's not a question of knowing the rules in and out, it's a question of knowing the basics of the game and being able and willing to look up how their abilities work. In my game, many players didn't bother to understand their stats, abilities, and it really harmed the game.

I'll be joining both D&D games. BTW henrebotha, why does DMing rule out playing one?

I'll be joining both D&D games. BTW henrebotha, why does DMing rule out playing one?
Too much effort. :lol:

Send me your character vibe. Yo.

Seon is playing a sardonic, withdrawn half-elf, an agile swordsman who wields twin swords.

Working on my character concept, but how much setting influence can we have? I'm currently thinking of somebody who backed one side in a civil war and fled after defeat.

That's cool, go for it. :) You're welcome to discuss it with me in more detail via PM.

Let me go read up on it for five minutes and I'll have an answer for you. :)

(Though I must say, I have a personal issue with non-core classes. Prestige classes I understand, because those are meant to be colourful and unique; but I feel the core eleven classes and the non-player classes [adept, expert, etc] represent pretty much any character you could want to play.)

Yeah, it's cool, you can play a warlock.

Oob can I be swordmage then? :p

If you want to be a swordsman/spellcaster, you can, but I don't know of a prestige class that you can be at 4th level that will combine swordplay and magic, so you'll just have to play fighter/sorceror or fighter/wizard.

I think I'll play the second as well, if I can. I'll send in character info in the morning. Note: I might change my first games character to the second games so I can play it as I originally intended, and make a different first game character.

Since two seperate threads are effectively going on in this one, making two points:

-flyingchicken, permission to modifiy my equipment to include Summon Monster I spell components?

-Decided to make a Level 4 Sorceror, as without the advantage of Charm Person and Geass spells it is unlikely my character could raise an effective rebellion.

Top Bottom