NyNES: Might of the Pen

Nylan, I'm confused about how to write my story. The way I understand it, James was hung up to attract rescuers, and then the rescuers were then incapacitated and placed in a dark room- along with (seeing as Jiefin is there) the surviving defeated?

James was hung up to attract the two rescuers who know of his peril. Sybrus, Jiefin, and Icekommander were temporarily incapacitated and taken to an unknown location (which you get to pick, as well as why, although "to see you fight your way out" is a good start). The two "schemes" are separate.

Okay, my story is finished, but should I take more time to improve it further, or post it now?

Okay, my story is finished, but should I take more time to improve it further, or post it now?

Your call! I'll be happy to read it either way. If you're satisfied, I don't see why not, but extra time is never a bad thing.

Deadline rapidly approaching, everyone :king:

Completely off-topic, but Iggy, would your current status perhaps be a reference to the courageous Spaceman?

On a more serious note... I hate to do this, but I don't think I can make the deadline. I don't really have anyone to blame but myself - I wasn't paying attention to time, and suddenly realized I can't do it tonight, and I'm booked from 6:45 Saturday through midnight Sunday. Soz, all.

Thus, I come prostrate, begging the mighty Moderator for a teensy extension. Please. Maybe. Hopefully. I weep in my efforts to appease.

this nes is awesome. if there is anyway i could join or you want to make another one could you pm me? great concept with the story battling.

On a more serious note... I hate to do this, but I don't think I can make the deadline. I don't really have anyone to blame but myself - I wasn't paying attention to time, and suddenly realized I can't do it tonight, and I'm booked from 6:45 Saturday through midnight Sunday. Soz, all.

Thus, I come prostrate, begging the mighty Moderator for a teensy extension. Please. Maybe. Hopefully. I weep in my efforts to appease.

I have spoken with alex and it seems he may be able to hit close to the mark, so I will allow some leeway. Thank you for alerting me in advance of the difficulties.

Nice.

this nes is awesome. if there is anyway i could join or you want to make another one could you pm me? great concept with the story battling.

You're more than welcome to write from the point of view of someone watching the events unfold, but I'm afraid we can't accept any new players this late in the game. If I do run another, however, I will be absolutely sure to let you know. My highest thanks for the compliments, these players have done a great job :)

Would you be able to run another of these? I was under the impression that you were sequestering yourself from the internet for your time in Mexico.

Would you be able to run another of these? I was under the impression that you were sequestering yourself from the internet for your time in Mexico.

Well I have until late October before I leave, so we shall see. It would, of course, require strict pacing.

Not a single story is up with 3 hours to go.

Wait, the deadline's in 3 hours? I was planning to post my final edit before going to bed tonight (8-ish hours). I suppose I could post it sooner. :)

Yeah I thought we had a bit more time as well. But my story will still be up in about three hours, five tops.

He Fought the Encroaching Ice

Sybrus froze- only slightly more figuratively than literally. He instinctively knew the identity of the frigid object beside him. He would inch away, until he was far enough away to quietly stand-

“Not- so- fast, Steel-Man.” spoke Icekommander’s hollow, booming voice as cold fingers closed around Sybrus’ mechanical left foot. The cyborg felt no pain, but a brutal stiffness set into his leg. With a grunt, he spun his body around, living foot crashing heavily into his enemy’s head. The grip loosened for a split second, and Sybrus leapt free. He tripped backwards over something as he landed, crashing into a wall and eliciting a grunt of pain from a deep, thick voice- Jiefin, perhaps. He had no time to consider. Sybrus made another blind leap, colliding with a door. His hand raced to the handle and twisted- it was locked! The hissing sound of frosty wind emanated from somewhere behind him, along with the sliding sound of ice against ice as a blade manifested itself in the frozen man’s hand.

Sybrus spun about, slipping silently to the left to avoid giving his position away to the ears of Icekommander. He slid his hand across the wall- cold metal as far as he could feel. He wondered if his enemy, who he could hear stalking around in the enclosed space, could sense his heat.

Sense! Of course! Instantly picking up on Sybrus’ thoughts, his mechanical mind sprung into action. A sharp pain coursed through his head as the second intelligence hijacked his visual centers and began displaying its own sensory readings. Scans of the room revealed several comatose bodies- infrared showed them to still be warm. Sybrus swung his head around, in an attempt to look around, the imported images imperfectly syncing with his actions. All he needed to see, however, was the great, heatless void approaching him. He crept backwards, looking again to see Icekommander continuing his advance. On an instinct, Sybrus looked upwards- the roof was low- and familiar. Compressing downwards then leaping off of his digitigrade left leg, Sybrus crashed through the flimsy roof tiles, and scrambled into the thin space. Shimmying through the wiring, he moved over the door, and kicked out a tile, flipping downwards to the floor with an awkward grace. He looked back at the door, realizing an aching, maddening discomfort in his head as he calmed down. With the sudden mental pain of having a knife roughly pulled out of a wound, the visuals provided by his mechanical portion disconnected. Sybrus gave a brief cry of pain and disorientation before his eyes reasserted themselves. Opening up to blinding light, he staggered against a wall and slumped down, until the sharp headache and dizziness faded away. His eyes, now used to what was actually dim light, instantly recognized the hallway- it was one of the service tunnels under Carnivale, near the former administration complex. Sybrus knew this place better than any other on the island- his ‘home’ was a locker room perhaps two minutes distant, the computer terminals were just down the hall...

But what to do with Icekommander? He hadn’t beaten him by simply leaving him in the room, the man was still inside.

A cracking noise drew Sybrus’ attention back to the door. An advancing layer of frost was spreading over the aged wood. He squinted as several cracks began to open ever wider, realizing only at the last second his danger. Sybrus leapt backward as the brittle, weakened door burst from a blow from behind. A large, blunt piece struck his living arm, eliciting a pained shout. Sybrus whipped out the cylinder from his pocket, flicking it out to its full length and assuming a combat pose. Calmly, Icekommander stepped out of the empty doorframe. For the first time, Sybrus took a long look at him. The man was tall and strong, holding a shimmering glacial blue blade and flanked by two frost-fringed imps. While his initial appearance suggested a young man, the way he carried himself- mock-regal, but still with a strange dignity, refuted such an impression. And the man’s eyes- they were the eyes of someone ancient beyond years, but not yet tired- deep blue chasms, within which could have hidden centuries of experience.

Sybrus stepped backward, not leaving his defensive stance, as Icekommander advanced, as cool and collected as his namesake.

“Sybrus Brayne.” boomed Icekommander.

“Present and speaking.” responded Sybrus, a touch of a grin bordering his mouth.

“I have heard much about you on this island- they say that you are something of a gentleman.”

Sybrus shrugged, noncommittally, his mechanical arm clicking with agitation.

“So, are you a knight, a warrior who will not lower himself to killing his disarmed opponent? Or are you a coward, mechanical man? Did your guts leave you along with the rest of your body, are you afraid to spill blood, afraid to end that which cannot be recovered?”

“It’s a preference- I’ve never had the need to kill anyone here who I couldn’t just as easily knock out.”

“Well, that’s hardly going to work now- I can be incapacitated no more easily than that steel insect on your arm could rest.”

Sybrus noted that his mechanical half was continuing its frantic clicking and twitching, acting entirely of its own accord.

“Well then, I’ll just have to be creative.”

“Good. I have high expectations from you.”

“You don’t say?” responded Sybrus, suddenly swinging his staff into Icekommander’s head, the bladed tip cutting in deeply. Icekommander blinked, then grinned, his eyes burning with a cold fire.

“I do say.”

With that, Icekommander ripped the staff out of his head, twisting it around as Sybrus struggled to prevent the man from ripping the weapon out of his grip. As the two figures fought a tug-o-war for the staff, the two imps leapt at the cyborg. Instinctively, Sybrus kicked out at the first beast with his living foot. The creature- a tiny biped with an oversized, round jaw and a row of spikes down its back, made a stab at his foot before being deflected and skittering down the hall. The second ice-imp, thin and spiderlike, scuttled towards Sybrus before hurling itself at his leg. He jumped out of the way, simultaneously tugging his staff out of Icekommander’s grip, cutting of several of the iceman’s fingers, which almost immediately began to regenerate. Sybrus kicked at the second imp, his clawed mechanical foot closing around the creature and constricting. Taking advantage of the cyborg’s distraction, Icekommander swung his sword down towards Sybrus, who desperately rose his staff to parry. The frozen sword rested on his shoulder, cold seeming to radiate from it. Sybrus pushed it back, taking another two backwards steps, crushing the imp in his claw-foot as he did so. He jumped back on one foot, shaking the shards out of the other, as Icekommander began to advance once again.

“Is creative your word for running away, Brayne?”

“Well,” grinned Sybrus as he parried another blow from the sword, “I do my best work when I’m on the run.”

“Then you’ll need to be faster.”

With that, Icekommander’s attacks stepped up in speed. His heavy, steady blows transformed into a storm of strikes, glassy shards of ice scattering with each assault. Sybrus continued to meet the sword at every swing, wincing as the minute shards cut into his flesh. For a second, he lost control of his body as the mechanical brain once again took over, twitching his arm into a rapid spin, deflecting an icicle which had been hurled by the first imp, who had apparently recovered and caught up with the fight. Icekommander seized the opportunity and struck during his enemy’s distraction. Sybrus ducked, the cruel blade carving a streak in the flesh of his right arm. Sybrus’ organic half was tiring from the repeated, forceful blows- he couldn’t keep up the toe to toe battle for much longer. Sybrus looked up for a split second to regain his bearings. He didn’t have to fight for much longer either. Feinting to the left, he then dodged rightwards, rolling into an open door and sprinting down the hallway, rushing around a corner and out of sight. Icekommander broke his steady advance and ran after his quarry, the surviving imp close behind. He raced past the corner, to see- a room. There was a great deal of machinery in it, and ductwork along the roof and walls. He flicked his arm, and a new imp materialized, replacing its predecessor, who was still partially lodged in Sybrus’ foot.

“Find him.” Icekommander scanned the roof and-

Sybrus leapt down from his position high on a wall, crushing the newly-created imp underfoot and cleaving the other in half with his bladed staff.

“Why do you even use them?” he asked, before leaping back up into the ceiling’s ductwork. Icekommander growled with irritation.

“You’re less of an adversary than I had hoped for. You know can’t win by running away, Brayne!”

Sybrus slipped through the tightly-packed maze in the ceiling, seeking his destination.

“Maybe not, but you can’t win by shouting empty threats. I thought you were a hunter.”

The temperature throughout the room seemed to fall, as the taunted Icekommander followed the trail of noise and dislodged dust through the room, carving a path in the wall out of annoyance. Suddenly, the forward movement in the roof stopped, replaced by the sound of Sybrus pounding at a barrier, then trying to push himself backwards.

“Found a dead end?” Icekommander lifted his sword against the roof. Frost spread from its tip, freezing everything in contact with the metal, including Sybrus’ living flesh. He winced in pain, and continued pounding against a metal panel above him until it gave away, allowing him to lithely slip through. A few seconds later, he emerged from another gap in the roof, at the end of a dimly lit, grated chamber at the end of the room. Icekommander spun his sword around in his hand, continuing to drag it against the roof, spreading ice around the doorway. He advanced into the chamber, as the ice closed in on Sybrus precarious perch on the wall. As he advanced, he spoke, once again in his deep, calm voice.

“Yes, Sybrus Brayne, I am indeed a hunter. I have played with you, as a cat would with a mouse, and the time for batting-around has concluded.

With a lunge, Sybrus threw himself at Icekommander while his sword was away from his body. The frozen man instantly lowered his weapon, allowing Sybrus’ clawling arm to seize the roof and swing overhead. Spinning out of the chamber, he pounded at a jury-rigged control panel attached around the edge of the entry portal. A great metal door crashed down over the entrance, with only a small, round glass window to see through. Icekommander’s furious blue eyes rose to the window as he placed his hand against the door, beginning to freeze it. Sybrus paused for a second, then flipped a switch. Throughout the chamber, jets of fire burst from the grates as the furnace activated. Sybrus stood back for a second, then peered in, watching Icekommander’s face shift into an angered snarl as his work to freeze the door open was rapidly undone. After a few seconds, the figure ceased his attempts, and simply stood in the raging inferno. His expression began to shift- Sybrus was unsure whether it was a grin, or his melting flesh. Icekommander held up his hands at the level of his head, as if to show Sybrus what he had done, as his peripheries started to lose definition. His fingers began to drip and sizzle, then melt. Some slowly shrank, others fell of entirely. His head, still grinning, mouthed several unheard words as the lips began to steam off. His hands were now barely-defined, shrunken stubs, his face a cartoonish sculpture. As the icy flesh gave away, the back of the cranium collapsing and the jaw falling off, only the two stump arms and vivid blue eyes remained in place, piercing into Sybrus’ soul, until at last even they surrendered to the heat, the arms breaking off and falling into the flames, the left eye falling out, the right remaining grotesquely balanced on the melting cheekbone for a few final seconds, ending its existence with a lonesome glare. The figure collapsed, all remaining peripheries melting and boiling off into the superheated air.

Sybrus turned away for a few seconds, then looked again. Nothing remained, except for a small ball of dark ice, impervious to the tremendous heat. The cyborg gathered a haphazard collection of containers and cloth rags from around the cluttered room, before returning. He turned off the furnace, waited a few seconds, then opened the door. A harsh wave of dry heat struck him, but he ignored it, reaching out to throw a rough cloth over the small sphere. Pausing a few more seconds, Sybrus reached in with his staff, deftly flipping it around, impaling the rag and lifting its contents. Despite the separation from his hand, the wrapped sphere was still frigid beyond belief. Gingerly, he dropped the ice into a jar, packed it with more rags, then sealed the lid tightly. He then placed the jar into a thick metal container, packed it in, then sealed its locking bolts, wrapping tape around the seal. He paused for a moment, staring at the motionless box. It was cold, but now bearable. He picked it up- it was just light enough to be carried with ease. Hoisting the cold box over his shoulder, Sybrus headed purposefully out of the room.

As he walked towards the observation tower, he considered his ‘conversation’ with Icekommander. The man was a hunter, without a doubt, and Sybrus was by no means an aggressor. However, he could not be said to be an exclusive defensive improviser either- deactivated heating systems do not often rewire themselves.

Sybrus’ mind, however, was already drifting elsewhere. He wondered if life remained in the small entrapped sphere, he pondered again the circumstances that had brought him to Carnivale, and perhaps for the first time realized just how close his journey was coming to its conclusion.

Yeah I thought we had a bit more time as well. But my story will still be up in about three hours, five tops.

We have to wait for alex (and the radiosilent fc, for that matter), so don't rush if it will compromise your story.

Very well then. But it will still come tonight. *Salutes Iggy* Very well done my good sir. Excellent portrayle of my character if I do say so myself.

@Ny: Yeah, sorry, didn't quite make it for Monday - but on the other hand, it's still Monday somewhere in the States...

TURN THREE SUBMISSION: The Everyman's Solution, Take Two

Spoiler :
Kyle couldn't see himself very well - the hall of mirrors was now defunct, after all - but he was sure he looked like hell. The black t-shirt was now patched with even darker bloodstains. One leg of his jeans was ripped off at the knee. He had a limp from his bruised thigh and a shortness of breath from the broken - bruised? - ribs. Bent glasses, various empty sheaths and holsters, and untied shoes.

His outer appearence matched well with how his mental state was. A high dose of adrenaline, the newfound comfort of nicotine, the various fatigue poisons, and the stress from the constant threat of his immediate end - those he'd been prepared for when he showed up to this freak show. No, it was the questions that wore at his inner being.

There were a lot of questions that he had, but he found that only two of them really registered to his conscious anymore. Being a competitive sort, the questions both revolved around winning. The second, less important one was whether he still wanted to win.

The first? What he'd have to do in order to win.

He managed the distance to the OP in three minutes, giving him plenty of time to scout the ground. Nearly a full minute later, the Splotch burst out of a building across the street, and rushed to the door. There was a rather ackward pause, then both men gave nods to the other - Kyle jerked his head upward, Splotch preferred to angle down - and Kyle, as a gentleman, held the door. As an . .. .. .. .. .. .. ., he left one of his last two sticks of dynomite just outside it, along with a homemade detonator. Garage remotes had quite a remarkable range.

Kyle followed the other combatant up the various stairs, and stepped onto the upper platform just as the friendly red timer on it hit a slightly ominous thirteen seconds. It stopped.

Kyle looked at the tied up individual, who gave yet another nod - also upwards - and a friendly (if hung-over) hello. "Hi," he said. "I'm James."

James, the poor schmuck, was tied to a pole that extended out from the main platform. Over twenty feet in length, it had a release system halfway along it that, once activated, would allow gravity to gleefully pull James toward a meeting with the pavement below.

During Kyle's examinations, the Splotch was doing some kind of obvious pregame, cracking joints and streaching... oddly. He looked up. "Ready?"

"For what? Our grand combat? Mano y mano, never say die, grand hero versus manevolent villian?" Kyle got out a cigarette and lit it. Today was as good a day as any to start the habit. "The way I see it, we can get around to that in a bit." He calmly turned away from the other man, and looked past James out toward the rest of carnival. There were no obvious signs of the other battle, although the wind carried some bloody-sounding noises.

"Hey there, James. No, Mr. Splotch, what I kind of wanted to do first was think about why we're here in the first place. And not about the fights; no, I want to know why we're both up here on this tower, watching this jerk - and by the way, Hi, James, I'm Kyle - this jerk dangle five stories above the ground."

The Spotch was grumbling to himself. Kyle wasn't paying a whole lot of attention, but it sounded like he was arguing with someone. A silent someone; God forbid another thing that that damned armor was with the hero. Not that it mattered; Kyle wasn't talking for the Splotch's benefit, nor for James'.

"Now, you're a hero. If this was a proper heroic story, this would be a test of some kind. Probably a moral thing, some kind of impossible choice, or maybe just a twisted joke." Kyle took a subtle step to his left, and glanced right. He smiled.

"And, following that thought, if you're a hero... I'm the villian then, right?" Kyle stepped to his right once more, and turned fully to the other man. The Splotch, who seemed to have decided that it was now the time to get to fighting, rose his fists. "Yes, yes, the damned villian with the master plots, doomed to lose. Well, I don't see myself as a villian. I'm more of a disinterested observer, one that just happens to have become an active participant. Not that it makes any difference to you; you're about to become busy otherwise."

Kyle once more stepped back, off the platform, and the friendly red light of the counter ticked off the final two seconds. The other eleven had passed during the conversation, as Kyle tested his theory about the... literalness of the trap. There was a friendly beep, then a friendly squeal of metal, and suddenly poor James was accelerating at roughly 9.8 meters per second downward.

The Splotch's face was quite the study, as the hero realized that this dirtbag was, indeed, playing the part of the villian he'd talked about. Like any good hero, he followed the innocent man down off the tower. Now, physics would probably dictate that a) it was impossible for the Splotch, no matter how aerodynamic, to catch up with the falling James, and b) that even if he did, and even assuming hte Splotch's inky body was a decent shock absorber, the stop at the end of the fall should still cause damage to poor James' body.

But, hell, the Sploch is a superhero. Sure as hell, he caught up to the tied man before impact. Unfortunately for both of them, Kyle didn't wait to see if the second hypothesis was correct; he pressed the button, and poor James became pieces of poor James rather quickly. The tower shook, but remained more-or-less upright and intact.

Kyle took out his shotgun, checked the rounds, and cautiously climbed down. The door at the bottom of the OP was now more like a large window, and through it was a sight that would be odd in any other place but here.

Small patches of liquid were glomming, schlipping, fooping, and barting towards a larger, almost man-sized glob just outside. Kyle watched, interested, as a face began to be recognizeable. He then shot it right between the proto-eyes, and suddenly the entire upper third of the inky body spread out across the street once more. Only, inevitably, to start their path back together again.

Kyle sighed.

"You know, that's a neat trick. On the other hand, as an engineer, I've discovered that the proper use of force can overcome nearly any obstacle." He holstered the shottie. "For instance: while I accept that, yes, you are pretty much invulnerable by normal standards, I also have to think that if I blow you into small enough pieces, your overall coherancy won't be high enough to allow those pieces to move and reunite. In other, simpler words: dynomite solves problems."

It was his last stick. It made yet another neat sound as it was shoved into the soon-to-be remains of the Splotch, and twenty seconds later, it made an even neater one as the Splotch repainted the immediate area. In some unfortunate cases, he painted over areas James had already covered.

Kyle had his answer to the first question.

As he left the OP, he gave the finger to the intercom inside the door. He then turned toweard the street, gave a half-hearted salute, and said, "Sorry, James. I hope the fall was fun, anyway.'

It's still monday here!

Spoiler Round Three Submission :

Someone was going to pay. Obviously whoever had set up this tournament had set up more than just fighting. Icekommander didn’t sign up to be bundled up and taken off to a darkened room for his next fight. Doing that to those you don’t know the full capacities of. And there would be trouble, oh yes. But he first had to deal with the rest of the competitors. When they conked him on the head, he stopped more from surprise than from the force of the blow. Quickly a large bagged was stuffed over his body, and then after some argument a blanket was also wrapped around him. Hoping to be lead to the creator of this deranged festival Icekommander stayed quiet. But now here he was waiting for one of these two other people in the room to respond.

He could take both of them he was sure. But simply attacking one of them might not be the best choice, better to wait and see who rouses first. Their bodies large moisture content drew him, but both had anomalies about them, that marked them different from the rest of their feeble kind. Then the smaller one twitched. As he slowly came to, the larger one also began stirring restlessly. Icekommander made a survey of the room, it had a trap door up they were dropped down through to get here. It was solid metal, but the doubted that would pose a serious problem to any so far in the competition. As a hand brushed against him and was suddenly drawn back, he felt a surge of information. This Sybrus was the subject of many tests. Having known little of a soft life, he had amassed enough experience to make him a serious opponent. A worthy opponent.

Icekommander stepped back. He slowly began reducing the tempter of their little room. If only he’d though of it sooner, froze both in their sleep. They would have died of hypothermia before waking. But he could ponder that later. Stepping back he realized that the larger man was not fully in control of his own actions. It would be some time until he rose. But now it was time to deal with this other competitor. He flexed his hand and drew his sword out of thin air. Time to finish the fight.

Sybrus swore as some last minute instinct made him jinx to the right. After he’d come to, he’d encountered that strange cold material backing up and stumbled to the other side of the room. As the temperature got colder he figured it was some new twist to a battle between him and Jiefin. But this sword proved otherwise. He peered out into the darkness. His machine half recognized that there was a faint outline in the shape of a man. It was just slightly glowing a faint blue.

As he threw himself out of the way of another sword thrust, Sybrus began searching for some exit. As he desperately scuttled around the room, he thought he saw a faint outline on the roof. Figuring it had to have some significance, he ran towards it, ducked under another thrust and extended his staff. He swung upwards with all his might, and he felt something metallic bend and give way. Suddenly it burst open, as the hinges were ripped right off the door. Sunlight flooded into the room, blinding all it’s occupants. Seeking a more open space, Sybrus clamoured up, praying desperately there wasn’t a trap on the other side.

Staggering in the light, Icekommander’s grin froze on his face. He could still sense his opponent as proper vision slowly returned. CRACK. Evidently his opponent could still sense him as well. Indeed, this Sybrus’s mechanical half was unaffected by such trivial details as blinding sunlight. It instantly adjusted, and took over from Sybrus’s human body. The crack of Ice on Steel was a coldly familiar one that brought a smile to his face. Advancing, he gestured as his two familiars appeared by his side. He heard whistles as they loosed their ice bolts.

His vision finally returned and he was presented by a surprising sight, Sybrus had shattered the ice bolts, and their small shards pelting him and his familiars. Sybrus also looked faintly surprised, and quickly disgruntled as he realized his deflection tactics would not work against ice that would shatter on impact. As two more bolts shot towards him, Icekommander gestured to a spot behind Sybrus, and pulled towards himself. Ice formed behind Sybrus, and began moving towards him at an alarming rate. Sybrus, shattering the first of the familiars’ ice bolts, say the gesture, looked behind and threw himself out of the way. Avoiding the coup de grace, the ice rocketed past Sybrus and flew off past both combatants, where it promptly melted. Forgotten however, was the smaller icebolt, missing it’s intended target from Sybrus frantic dodge. It slammed into Sybrus’s mechanical shoulder, shattering once again. Touching his hand to his face, Sybrus felt blood begin to inch its way out of several shrapnel wounds.

“We make an interesting match up, wouldn’t you say Sybrus Brayne? Your mechanical half balances out my inhuman parts, and considering your likeness was made out of mine, your human half balances out the rest of me. Mostly.” Icekommander grinned and swung his sword. Brayne parried, and lopped off the edge of sword with his staff blade. Sybrus smiled, waiting for the blade to fall off the hilt. It didn’t.

“Well I wouldn’t say that. I’d also say your human parts leave much to be desired.” Sybrus was still watching the blade.

“And how do you figure that?”

“You have no compassion, no emotion. You might as well be a machine for all human thoughts are nonexistent.”

Icekommander smiled grimly. “Much like you, I’ve had a hard school. My human thoughts aren’t so much nonexistent, so much as ground away. I held back from killing once.” Icekommander stepped forward.

“Really? I find that hard to believe.” Sybrus almost seemed to be stalling for time.

“Indeed I did” What was that that Sybrus’s eyes just darted to? “ Three days later I was fighting a different rival. The person I saved appeared in the nick of time to turn the battle. For my opponent”

Sybrus didn’t respond, but held his staff at the ready. He slowly backed up. Icekommander smiled. Sybrus was partly right. Largely his human side did leave a lot to be desired. But he was wrong in that it left something to be desired. It lent him strength, trying to save your opponent was another weakness to be exploited. “ I never make the same mistake twice. That is why I have no more rivals. And why there will soon be no more…”

Slam! Jiefin picked up a steel bar somewhere, and it rocketed into Icekommander’s side like an oncoming train. Icekommander felt his side cave in, and was lifted up, and thrown twenty feet to the side. He bounced and landed on his feet. “We aren’t out of this competition yet.” Jiefin shouted at the same time his armour boomed. :You are a threat to his safety:

“Never made that mistake before my dear fellow,” Sybrus grinned. Icekommander threw his sword. It spun forward in a deadly arc. A large SCREECH emerged as an unstoppable force met an immoveable object. The sword dug into the armour, and was stuck there. Meanwhile Sybrus stepped two steps forward to strike a killing blow.

“Tricky Sybrus Brayne, very tricky. But cunning and instincts are no match for thousands of years of experience no matter how cunning you are.” As Sybrus’s staff swung down Icekommander brought up his arms in an x shape. The staff’s blade bit into Icekommanders arm. And much to Sybrus’s surprise, it stayed there. Jiefin watched impassively, waiting for a striking moment, as Icekommander began to vibrate his arms a dozen times a second. With shockwaves shuddering through his body, Sybrus managed to yank the staff free, and stumbled backwards, as Icekommander released his frosty grip on it. A steel bar smashed down where Sybrus was standing moments before, saved by the force of his own pulling.

“Experience has nothing on Brawn” Jiefin boomed as he readied the metal bar once again. Sybrus shook his head as his mechanical part recovered from the brutal shaking it received.

“You don’t say.” Icekommander gave a bark of laughter. The bar whizzed down once again and smashed into the ice. Without flinching, Icekommander reformed, with the bar imbedded in his icy flesh. “You really ought to try it some time. Sybrus knows most of the tricks in the book. You are merely unpredictable. That makes you a nuisance. Finally, I wrote the book. I have influencing fighting technique from before the time of the Romans. Any idea what that makes me?”

The wicked frozen grin returned to Icekommander’s face. Suddenly the whole metal bar froze in Jiefin’s hands. Yanking his hands back, Jiefin stepped back. He was to late; frost began spreading up his arm. Where it encountered the mystical armour, it encroached much more slowly, as if fighting a battle, and it spots it disappeared before reappearing. Icekommander looked around, Sybrus was gone. Icekommander could track him down later. Time to finish the battle. Icekommander stepped forward and pulled his mystical sword out of Jiefin’s armour. He glanced around. They were near the Ferris wheel again. Part of General Germanicus’s gear was still visible at the top. Icekommander smiled, and used the ice on Jiefin to lift him up and throw him into the giant wheel. With a few careful icy blasts, the wheel toppled and fell on the man, still engaged in a battle for heat, as he fought off the ice. If Jiefin was getting up, it wouldn’t be for a long time. That armour would probably save him, but body heat was a precious resource in humans. And that was why experience triumphed. Now to deal with Sybrus Brayne.

Sybrus panted in exhaustion. He thanked god there were only three opponents left, four if you counted Jiefin. He frowned, he had no idea if the man was still actually in the competition, or another loose end that crazed voice left bouncing around to keep things more interesting. Problem for another day, time to find something to deal with Icekommander. There, an old food booth stood. The sign read Mini Doughnuts. Sybrus could find oil in there, if he could light it on Icekommander, he could hopefully melt the man. He shuddered; he never imagined it was possible for such an odd collection of souls were in the world. Let alone, collection of souls that could kill him.

There! An old lighter from somewhere, it mattered not. Grabbing a pail of oil and the lighter, Sybrus began for the drop of doom. Perhaps it was still working, and he could spot the Iceman from the top. Well that was unlikely, but he could scale the pole a ways, even with the bucket. He tucked the lighter in a pocket and continued walking.

Off in the distance he heard a loud smash, followed by the sound of something collapsing and hitting the ground hard. Wincing, Sybrus continued his lop. Not a lot could survive that crash. Sighing, Sybrus realized that both of his opponents could survive such a crash. Maybe not with flying colours, but they could survive. Not a pleasant thought.

When he got to the Drop of Doom, he began flipping switches at the control booth. Nothing changed with the ride, but music began flowing from the controls “It’s starts with one thing…” In the end by Linkin Park. How Ironic. Especially considering Icekommander found him.

There, Sybrus Brayne. Obviously having made good use of his time, with a bucket full of some liquid, and music blaring out of the ride booth. “ Very good Sybrus Brayne. You ran away, and managed to get yourself a bucket. Now I think I must be missing something here. Maybe you’re not as good as I though, missing your best chance to take me hmmm.”

“Why Icekommander” Sybrus grinned “You loose your faith to quickly” Given just a moments warning by the grin, Icekommander stepped to the side as cooking oil washed over him. Most of it splashed off his shield, but by it’s very disappearing nature, much of the liquid was deflected up, only to come right back down. Sybrus pulled out the lighter, lit it, and threw it at the cooking oil puddle at Icekommanders feet in one smooth motion. Lighting the oil before it landed, Icekommander went up in flames.

“ARGGGGGGGGGGG” Icekommander screamed in agony. He was physically unable to feel pain, but fire created a very similar symptom in him. Staggering, Icekommander backed out of the flames and felt Sybrus staff slamming into him, once twice, three times. Feeling his internal shields beginning to fail and his energy get sucked away, Icekommander jumped back out of the fire, and levitated his outmost layer of ice off of him self. A sheet of flame was lifted off of him, and shattered, sparkling with heat on the ground.

“You will pay for that one Brayne!” Icekommander shouted. Disappointed, but ultimately unsurprised, Brayne readied his staff. Icekommander still held the steel pipe he had taken from Jiefin. Sybrus felt physically exhausted. His tricks had failed him, and this was the end. Icekommander exchanged one blow, two. But his opponent didn’t seem quite as strong as he had at the beginning of the fight, his fighting edge was gone. Letting his mechanical side take over, Sybrus felt a ray of hope.

Glaring at his opponent, Icekommander feinted and ducked a staff swipe, readying himself; he stepped forward and caught the staff directly in the chest. He grunted, but swung his fist in a cruel arc, smashing into the human side of Sybrus’s head. The half man half machine tottered, and fell. Icekommander stood over him, readying the final stroke.

But the triumph had a bitter taste to it. He remembered how many times he had clawed back from the jaws of defeat back before he became king. In the background the music continued. “I tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, it doesn’t even matter” That decided him. Perhaps it was a mistake, but Icekommander didn’t think so. Unlike his rivals who felt little in the way of the soft human emotions, Sybrus would respect his defeat. Perhaps he would seek another fight, but a betrayal it wouldn’t be. With that, he hoisted the man onto his shoulder, and began his search for the men who ran this thing. He wouldn’t spare them. And he would start the search where this began, that small random hole that they had bundled, him Sybrus Brayne and Jiefin. And from there, he would take his revenge. Look at the man on his shoulder, Icekommander wondered what the man thought about the whole carnival. That however, was a problem for another day.

fc has been allowed a tiny smidgen of time, and once his entry is in we'll be ready to judge (though I do always favor the timely). Needless to say, you've all taken your story writing to a new, higher level this round. It will be very hard to select the winners.

That's a good thing.

Top Bottom