Shoshone ''hut picking'' : your top choices ?

Baron2

Warlord
I have a big weakness for my part to upgrading the scout itself, as the resulting unit is akin in firepower, for the first 100 turns at least, to an Alpha Centauri Ogre....

Culture, and when my city is 2 or bigger I choose population.
Other than that I usually try to get faith.

What about a free technology? That's probably the next best thing after culture

Having a unit that can reliably kill barbarians in two turns can be really useful.

I usually choose culture first, then the unit upgrade. After that I choose population or tech, depending on whether I finished my current research or not. By then faith is available and I choose that. If I find another ruin it's time for some more bowmen.

I go for faith, unless already en route to an early pantheon.
Next, if I think I'll find more ruins, I'll take culture to pop my first social policy.
Or, I'll pick population if I need more food or production (depends on start location).
Fourth, technology (or second if I don't think I'll find many ruins).
Form there, I'll take whatever they give me, looking out for technologies and population.

By the way - choosing population can really help build that second scout, assuming you think there's more ruins out there for you to get.

My first pick is always faith, to get that first pantheon. Then, I'll select culture, science and then population.

you have to wait until Turn 20+ for faith (at least on emperor).....and by that time I've had almost as many huts as i'm ever going to find. Not sure how you guys are picking faith first. My choices depend on the environment. If I have a lot of techs for my worker to handle (cows, marble, spices for example) tech really helps that along. But If I have salt/gold and no jungle, Population/cultural/bowman seems best.

I always upgrade first, because that lets me be more aggressive. The only exception is when I am planning to play a religion heavy game and want to grab a pantheon first.

After upgrade, I pick population then technology.

Weapons upgrade first--love those comp-bowmen. Then culture or faith (the latter if I have a starting position that cries out for a particular pantheon--like when I had 3 wine and an incense). I tend not to take technology because the low-level ones are so easy to research, but if I found an ancient ruin a bit later in the game, I'd probably take tech over population.

Pop first, every single time. Nothing boosts your early game like a second tile getting worked for free.

After that, grab culture and get going on your choice of policy!

First: culture, especially if very early.
2nd: pop
3rd: faith if available already
4th: upgrade
5th: tech or more culture
6th: faith again
7th: pop
8th: upgrade ( separate pathfinder)

There is nothing like getting 20 culture early to either get you closer to ur first free settler or 3cpt from tradition. I like liberty more with Shoshone as you get plenty of tiles anyway. If you are working a three food tile your next citizen is only five turns away, hold off on early pop.

Upgrade is nice but in very early game you are just zipping Along to find ruins no time to stop and hunt barbs, and pathinder is sturdier than CB.

As soon as faith is available get it to scure pantheon and don't waste BO on shrine.

Upgrade is nice but in very early game you are just zipping Along to find ruins no time to stop and hunt barbs, and pathinder is sturdier than CB

Pathfinders are sturdier than CBs? I guess I shouldn't have upgraded so quickly! For me it was that and population, since you can't work your extra land without it.

:c5culture: -> unit upgrade on Deity. Hard to cycle enough ruins to upgrade the second Pathfinder without a very early upgrade, but unlocking the first policy on turn 5 is a must.

Take the Settler on Settler difficulty, of course.

:c5citizen: is best taken after you've already grown to size 2. With good dirt that yields an extra :c5production: per turn early on. Even with lousy dirt, you should still yield an extra 2 :c5gold: to go with your :c5science:.

So this is my preference for difficulties 6/8 and 7/8 but I haven't tested it on Diety:

1. Culture (get a lightning fast start down the social policy road by taking the culture and choosing "Tradition")

2. City Growth/Technology (I usually take city growth 2nd, but sometimes 3rd if I'm trying to time it to happen directly after the city grows naturally, it's also nice to time the technology boost to happen after you have finished one otherwise you risk not getting the full benefit)

3. Faith/Military Upgrade (if you are trying to get a religion then go for faith if available, otherwise the resulting composite bowman is a beast, especially if they also have the altitude training)

* Playing on a "Terra" map is interesting for the Shoshone if you keep a few Pathfinders around for later in the game because there will be lots of remaining huts on the undiscovered continents.

Top Bottom