Double Holy City

budweiser

King of the Beers
I didn't think this was included in Civ V, but I just conquered a Holy City and chose to make a puppet. A few turns later I spawned my own GP and walked him over to the city. Sure enough I was able to found a second religion in that city.

*checks Calendar*

It's not April 1st, so I'll bite.

How can the game code handle the same city being 'Holy city' for 2 religions???

[EDIT: Bud uploaded the SS just before I posted, so my cynicism has now been vanquished, though I don't understand how they could code that possibility, and Settlers on top of mountains, but not get Multiplayer to work properly.]

Catholocism, founded by Venice is unenhanced. Obviously so is Protestantism which I founded. Can they both now be enhanced?

You can enhance your religion in your holy city that already has a religion, but you cannot enhance both religions -- just your own religion.

Since a religion can only be enhanced by a GP in that religion's holy city, and only in a holy city that the enhancer controls, you would have to enhance your religion and then lose (or gift) that city to the other religion's founder and see if they can enhance -- I suspect they can. They can also buy an inquisitor to stamp out your holy city, so probably not a great plan.

You can enhance your religion in your holy city that already has a religion, but you cannot enhance both religions -- just your own religion.

Since a religion can only be enhanced by a GP in that religion's holy city, and only in a holy city that the enhancer controls, you would have to enhance your religion and then lose (or gift) that city to the other religion's founder and see if they can enhance -- I suspect they can. They can also buy an inquisitor to stamp out your holy city, so probably not a great plan.

The game above is not a good candidate because its a puppet right now.

What if somehow I enhanced my religion. Would I be able to purchase a Great Prophet in a Catholic city and assuming I converted Venice back to Catholocism, would the Catholic GP enhance it?

I've lost track of what religion you are. You can only spawn (either natural spawn or purchase) GPs of your religion.

Browd, are you saying he couldn't purchase a GP later if he annexed the 2nd holy city?

I would think he could, just not sure what religion that GP would be able to spread/enhance.

I'm trying to think back to my old Marathon games, where capturing multiple holy cities is common…..just can't recall if I ever bothered with trying to faith buy a GP.

Any prophet generated or bought will be of your religion if you founded one even if bought in a city following a different religion or in the holy city of a different religion.

try and capture the other civ's GP in a DOW and use it to enhance that religion, you might be able to get 2 enhanced religions

Interesting idea. Assuming the captured GP has at least 4 spreads left, I'm pretty sure it can be used to enhance your religion, in your holy city, but I've never had occasion to try enhancing in a captured holy city for another, unenhanced religion.

I suspect the enhance option in that situation would not be available, but if anyone does test this, please report back. perhaps an easy way to test would be to capture the holy city with an unenhanced religion and send your GP there -- can your GP enhance the other religion?

Even if you did enhance it, you would probably only benefit from the follower belief.

Interesting idea. Assuming the captured GP has at least 4 spreads left, I'm pretty sure it can be used to enhance your religion, in your holy city, but I've never had occasion to try enhancing in a captured holy city for another, unenhanced religion.

that's where the mechanics can be interesting, because I thought GPs are the same as missionaries in that they're always associated with a religion (excluding the case where you found a religion with the captured GP) so when you enhance with a captured prophet in the captured holy city, you'd be enhancing that religion instead of your own.

as a side note, I wonder what religion the missionaries and faith-bought GPs would be in a double holy city, hope someone can test it on MP or something.

Assuming the captured GP has at least 4 spreads left, I'm pretty sure it can be used to enhance your religion, in your holy city

Absolutely it can, I have had the good fortune to do this in a few times!

Even if you did enhance it, you would probably only benefit from the follower belief.

Agreed. Capturing a Holy City only yields follower benefits, and enhancing would not change that.

as a side note, I wonder what religion the missionaries and faith-bought GPs would be in a double holy city, hope someone can test it on MP or something.

Missionaries (and inquisitors) are always of the majority religion. Spawned GPr are always of the religion you founded, even when spawned in cities with a majority foreign religion.

Any prophet generated or bought will be of your religion if you founded one even if bought in a city following a different religion or in the holy city of a different religion.

Generated, yes, but you will only be able to faith-purchase GPr in a city that has your religion as the majority.

Top Bottom