Assyria discussion

I do find it amusing that no one even seems to consider that the siege tower might replace Catapult. :D

Heh, I think its the strongest possibility, yes. But i'm gonna be the first to shoot a wild guess: siege tower as an axeman replacement!

I do find it amusing that no one even seems to consider that the siege tower might replace Catapult. :D

This is because Assyria is an Ancient civ and it doesn't make much sense for them to get their UU in the Classical era.

Then again, that didn't stop the Huns from doing the opposite.

The pax demo I watched just said that Assyria's unique ability is being able to build a royal library in every city. I guess he meant it as a building but he said Unique Ability. I re watched that one part a dozen times to make sure I heard him right.

It wouldn't really make any sense, though. "Ability" is a general word that can encompass all attributes including units, buildings, etc.

ETA: I listened to it and heard, "Assyria is able to build one of these libraries in each of their cities, that's their unique building." I think he's choking on the word, but building and 'bility sound very similar.

The pax demo I watched just said that Assyria's unique ability is being able to build a royal library in every city. I guess he meant it as a building but he said Unique Ability. I re watched that one part a dozen times to make sure I heard him right.

That doesnt make any sense to me. Your UA is that you can build your UB in every city? :crazyeye:

It wouldn't really make any sense, though. "Ability" is a general word that can encompass all attributes including units, buildings, etc.

ETA: I listened to it and heard, "Assyria is able to build one of these libraries in each of their cities, that's their unique building." I think he's choking on the word, but building and 'bility sound very similar.

That is why I was confused. It wouldn't make any sense otherwise
I do not know anything about Assyria's library, but for anyone who does what would the bonuses be? I think gold can be ruled out due to China's paper.

Canal somebody upload (or link me to) the days q&a session to Youtube since my iPad doesn't have Adobe Flash Player and therefore I can't watch it on Twitch?

That is why I was confused. It wouldn't make any sense otherwise
I do not know anything about Assyria's library, but for anyone who does what would the bonuses be? I think gold can be ruled out due to China's paper.

The Library of Ashurbanipal was basically a precursor to the Great Library of Alexandria (even said to have inspired Alexander). It collected cuneiform tablets from all over Mesopotamia. Some of it was acquired by force.

My guess is either a cultural bonus or great work slots. Maybe Assyria will even have the ability to steal other great works and place them in these Royal Libraries. But it's too early to tell.

I hope Assyria isn't just a boring rush warfare civ. I have hope that since their UB is a library they might not be. I hope they have an ability that benefits people who go to war but increases other parts of the civ like how some people have said they should steal great works or city pop

I have a feeling they'll become my favourite civ to play as if they are science orientated. I feel the same about them as I felt about Carthage at GnK. Still, if they end up being oriented towards rushing, meh.

All in all, I'm liking their stats so far.

I think the thing that's most appealing about Assyria at the moment is that they appear to be an aggressive science civ. all the science civs to date are more turtlish or in the case of the Mayans, expansive. Assyria looks to be a warmonger for science.

Tack on a few cultural points along with beakers for the Royal Library so we could use the legalism trick thingy for a quick 4-city+national college start...

That would be mean! Imagine a turn 50 4 cities + NC start! A big gesture toward minmaxers though, I don't know if that would really fit the game style in general, and the AI would never pull this off.

I think the thing that's most appealing about Assyria at the moment is that they appear to be an aggressive science civ. all the science civs to date are more turtlish or in the case of the Mayans, expansive. Assyria looks to be a warmonger for science.

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case too. It'll be fun.

This is because Assyria is an Ancient civ and it doesn't make much sense for them to get their UU in the Classical era.
In the real world, yes. In the context of the game, Assyria certainly had mathematics, iron working, and horseback riding.

Top Bottom