The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game # 3 - Persia

DingleBirdy

Chieftain
The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game #3

Welcome to The Deity Challenge Lineup. This is a biweekly event with games being posted every other Friday. All games in this series will be set to DEITY difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change with each challenge, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. There is an informal spreadsheet of previous challenge finishers that you can find at the bottom of this post.

DCL Game #3
You - Persia
Total Civilizations - 8
Total City States -16
Map – Continents
Settings – Quick movement and quick combat(turn them back on if you would like). Everything else is set to default.
Game Version - 1.0.3.144
Downloadable Content – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebruchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map pack are intentionally excluded.

Starting Location

The save can be found at the bottom of this post.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play deity games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Why no vc's? And what is the point if this isn't competitive?
Having freedom to do whatever suits you best, whatever suits the map best, freedom to experiment and even fool around is, probably, one the main appeals of these games. We have two restrictive types of games. Why would we need another speed race?

I obviously don't want to forbid people from proposing (deity challenges) but if at least one was aimed to regroup more people that would be great.

The Deity challenge series is not about winning as fast as possible imo, its just about people playing the same start and telling the story of their game, unlike for example HOF and GOTM.

If you have any more suggestions, or questions, please post them at the New Deity Challenge Series **Suggestion thread**

Future Games
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to DeityChallengeLineup@gmail.com

Schedule
Game #1 - June 20th as The Zulu
Game #2 - July 4th as America
Game #3 - July 18th as Persia
Game #4 - August 1st
Game #5 - August 15th

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.

DCL Finishers Spreadsheet

Attachments

• DCL #3 Persia.Civ5Save
    711.2 KB · Views: 612
This game was submitted by a civfanatics user, but the email address doesn't appear related to any screen names I recognize. Let me know who you are and I'll give you a mention in the original post.

continents again...
The struggle to find a coastline/less trading partners early/increased chance of aggression.

Srsly I hate continents :lol: I prefer Pangaea or if it's a water map, it's one where I am completely isolated. This game here looks like something Petra-ish.

continents again...
The struggle to find a coastline/less trading partners early/increased chance of aggression.

Srsly I hate continents :lol: I prefer Pangaea or if it's a water map, it's one where I am completely isolated. This game here looks like something Petra-ish.

Haha... I play pangaea almost exclusively. I had a Sweden pangaea map all set to go, but somebody emailed me a save. I'm trying to encourage community participation<---hint hint:lol:

Haha... I play pangaea almost exclusively. I had a Sweden pangaea map all set to go, but somebody emailed me a save. I'm trying to encourage community participation<---hint hint:lol:

Aw man, I wish it was Sweden. Most fun HoF game I had was a DV with Sweden on Lakes and only 3 cities. Too bad I missed a t278 DV by 1 vote! Had fun war with Harun though to fill out the last 20 turns for a t300 DV :)

Doesn't matter anyway, I'm off for vacation in a few days so have fun!

I love this orginized non-pretentious, no VC challenge lineups were we all enjoy the same map and share experiences.

Very good initiative!! :goodjob:

Since I'm more of a "role player" myself I have settled on Immortal and even though I enjoy a diety game once in a while I would prefer to have threads with emperor/immortal games.

I'm up for managing but before I put any effort into it I'd like to know if theres a need for it? Is all civ-adictive players pure diety? :crazyeye:

Hm, again something I have never played. Are these dudes good at anything else than domination?

I still haven't found time to play previous one so I though I'll at least start this one is a timely fashion - so I did. I settled & saved on T0 but then I found another spare minute so I'm up to T25 and the game is practically over. Well, not exactly but one can hope that the others will fall without much of an intervention.

Unlike the others I prefer pretty much any round map over pangaea but then again I have serious quarrels with the map scripts in general. And at least this start is salt-free, much healthier that way.

Spoiler :

Settled on the spot but on hindsight the hill/river/mountain & Uluru two turns away looked oh, so tempting so settling capital there would've been an interesting option had I seen Uluru on T0. Anyway, it'll be the place for city #2 unless somebody beats me to it. starting Liberty without a culture ruin is just crap - early expansion my ass when Hiawatha is settling his 6th city by the time the free settler kicks in. Luckily I haven't seen him around this time.

Anyway, borrowed a worker (probably a very industrious one) from the Japs which seemed to make Oda somewhat angry with me, one might even say he's a very hostile individual and hence refused to lend any more of his citizens - damn cheapskate.
Other than that I've met Dido & Suleiman so some wars are in the horizon and hopefully I don't have to buy all of them.
The dirt looks good and there's plenty of it so I might build quite a few cities of my own the option being that Ottomans will come into my face while Dido takes all the CSs and I'm in an endless status quoish battle with Oda while the rest, especially if this is 4-4 map, will all runaway from us.

I don't mind the continents map, but it might be nice to get a coastal start on a continents map. Sweden would have been pretty fun because I believe there is a misconception about their overall strength. It would be fun to see the expert deity players show what Sweden is all about.

Spoiler :
To the game. I took the Uluru bait and settled right next to the mountain. I didn't realize it put me right next to Japan for quite some time because I scouted north then east with my warrior, then straight south with my scout. It was like turn 40 something before I found Japans borders. There is a lot of room to back fill the east which is kind of nice not to be surrounded this time.

Anyway, as I was scouting with my warrior I found a map ruin that showed the Great Barrier Reef within working distance(maybe 15 tiles from cap). When I finally picked up Uluru I decided to take the natural wonders pantheon and brought my first settler two tiles from GBR. So far I am pumping out faith at a pretty awesome rate.

Another issue with settling near Uluru is that you are four tiles from Samarkand. That was fine by me as they were the obvious choice for an xp farm. Immortals don't die and the citystate kept going after them and left the archers alone. I planted a citadel right in front of Samarkand and that actually kills the units inside the city. I decided not to upgrade the archers to composites because the cs refused to attack them. It meant that I was able to attack the cs much longer than normal and gained way more xp. By turn 97, which is when I researched machinery, I had two logistics archers and some more on the way possibly. It's getting harder to attack the cs because it is basically drained of defense. The disappointing part of all this was that I have no money to upgrade them for quite a while because I keep paying people to fight.

Looking at the leaders list I see that everyone on my continent is ranked in the bottom four, which means there is some major catchup to play. Japan has the great wall and Samurais already built, so they are my first target. I was able to drop a citadel on them to get in range. So much for our friendly relations. With my current money situation I am still 10-20 turns from attacking them.

I built the pyramids right away, then grabbed the Oracle in one of other cities. I'll try for Machu, but I'll have to hard build. I finished liberty and took a gs at turn 83 I believe.

This is a fun map. I&#8217;m going for a wide Freedom/Commerce science victory &#8211; I have an interesting build I want to try, so hopefully that&#8217;ll motivate me to actually finish this time. Here&#8217;s a picture of my empire at turn 101 and some details on how I got there:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Deciding where to settle was an interesting choice. I knew I wanted to get on one of the silvers, but it wasn&#8217;t clear which one, and I didn&#8217;t want to spend more than one turn moving. My warrior&#8217;s moves had revealed a mountain to the east, and that was the tiebreaker &#8211; the silver on the left would give me four tiles between me and the mountain, so I settled there in order to preserve the possibility of putting another city on the west side of the mountain.

I felt like it paid off pretty well when I scouted Uluru. (I can only imagine what this game would&#8217;ve been like if I wandered my starting settler more&#8230;) In any case, seeing Uluru led me to build a Settler at Pop2. For Pantheon I took Religious Idols, which has been pretty strong. I hadn&#8217;t scouted GBR yet, so One With Nature wasn&#8217;t an option. I might prefer Religious Idols anyway. Religion got me Tithe and Mosques. I would&#8217;ve gotten Pagodas if my Prophet had bothered to spawn a turn earlier&#8230;

Opening build order in capital was: Scout &#8211; Monument &#8211; Settler &#8211; Caravan &#8211; Worker &#8211; Settler

Opening tech order was: Mining &#8211; Animal Husbandry &#8211; Archery &#8211; Masonry &#8211; Pottery &#8211; Calendar &#8211; Writing &#8211; Philosophy &#8211; Trapping &#8211; Bronze Working &#8211; Drama & Poetry &#8211; Theology

Getting Masonry that early was a mistake. My pregame plan involved building the Pyramids super early, but I decided that building a Settler at Pop2 had slowed me down too much and I needed to scrap that plan. Unfortunately I didn&#8217;t realize this until after I finished Masonry&#8230; it cost me a couple turns of unhappiness due to delaying Calendar. I beelined Theology because I wanted to get to Medieval Era to unlock Commerce (more on Commerce below).

I built Oracle in my capital while Pasargadae worked on the National College. National College just finished last turn, which I feel isn&#8217;t too terribly late.

For social policies, I went Tradtion opener &#8211;> Libery to Collective Rule > Legalism > Monarchy > Commerce Opener > Mercenary Army

I&#8217;m only three turns away from opening Mercantilism, which is just an amazing social policy. It&#8217;s possible that I&#8217;ll complete Commerce before opening Rationalism, but we&#8217;ll see how it goes. My general game plan is to set myself up with a ton of gold and happiness, buy all the buildings, and then grow a ton of cities super fast with Hospitals + Medical Labs to maximize peak science and blast through the tech tree with massive Great Scientists at end game. Space Procurements with Commerce will basically let me get all the spaceship parts free instantly. This means that I can save more scientists for actual peak science, rather than bulbing early to give myself time to build a couple parts like you would with Order. I expect to spam out a bunch of Trading Posts late game and spend the last 50+ turns just building science everywhere.

Miscellaneous details: I just bribed Oda to DOW Dido. I actually think I have enough army to defend against him, but I don&#8217;t want to lose my trades and trade routes. Losing those means that being at war would cost even more gold than bribing him, so it seemed like an obvious decision&#8230; I would like to generate a Great Engineer and a Great General before opening Industrialism in order to insta-build Big Ben and possibly connect Coal for quick Factories and early Ideology choice. We&#8217;ll see if I manage to get either. Skipping Pyramids was definitely a blow to the Engineer plan&#8230; Suleiman got blocked pretty hard. Partially a function of Japan taking Samarkand super early... Persepolis Susa, Ecbatana, and Tarsus are all settled directly on Silver. I look forward to building a lot Mints this game :) ... I got two ruins: a map and barb camps. Thanks a lot... Japan has Temple of Artmeis. I'll probably try to take that at Artillery. It should be absolutely insane with the late-game I want to play.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 1.01.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 1.01.44 PM.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 4,088
I love this orginized non-pretentious, no VC challenge lineups were we all enjoy the same map and share experiences.

Since I'm more of a "role player" myself I have settled on Immortal and even though I enjoy a diety game once in a while I would prefer to have threads with emperor/immortal games.

I'm up for managing but before I put any effort into it I'd like to know if theres a need for it? Is all civ-adictive players pure diety? :crazyeye:
The posters tend to be deity. Pilgrim, etc. But most of the lurkers are definitely not. I'd be up for immortal challenges

Go on with it, just schedule it to be on different weeks than this series :) There will be interest for it for sure.

Every other week. Alternate. Deity them immortal. I'm an emporer player. But itl help me learn

I'm mostly an immortal player myself, and at worst, if nobody wants to run an immortal series, someone could post a save every couple of weeks. I don't want to run anything, but I'm willing to post some saves.

@Manpanzee

I hope you finish this one because it will be interesting to see how your early game plays out in the late game. Kudos for detailing your build/tech order and social policies. I need to remind myself to write that stuff down. The early game is just so busy that I usually forget. Looking forward to more.

I think there are probably a lot more immortal/emperor players than there are deity, so like like dragonxxx said, there is interest, but post them opposite Fridays of this series so more people will be inclined to play. The more of these structured community games the better.

to t100

Spoiler :

I've gone Liberty and Lib/Trad hybrid the past two games, so this time it will be straight Tradition. (If I'd known how strong this start was I might have tried Peity.)

Strong start. I don't really think there is a wrong move, but I chose the silver hill. Early exploration shows Uluru and close Japan -> build a settler at pop 3 to go and grab that spot. It's behind a mountain and provides good protection against Japanese aggression :)

Chose Religious Idols and stumbled into a faith ruin -> turn 58 religion :lol: I don't really know what to do with a religion on Deity, but Tithe and Pagodas are usually good right?

Bad luck:

- Barbs came at an inopportune time to pillage a silver mine and kill a Japanese caravan.
- Japan declared war on (and quickly conquered) my Worker farm, so I've had to slow build some. No XP farm either probably.

Good luck:

- Finished Trad pre turn 80.
- Won two early culture races for CS states!
- Oracle opened up commerce.

My land:

I support having an additional Emperor/Immortal challenge series. I've been meaning to get into this series since the first week, but I'm still wary of Deity. I've been saving the files to try out later, but I can't even imagine when will I get on to trying them.

I don't get why people are founding their cities on the northwest and almost entirely desert part of the continent (etc. Olodune's Ectabana) - yes, you get great barrier reef, truffles, and some 4food tiles, but 90% are unworkable desert/2food water. Unless you pump it full of trade routes (but no other coastal city) it won't grow past size 10. Why there?

I don't have pics at different stages or a big writeup this time.

Spoiler :
Game notes

-I captured Kyoto, Istanbul, and Carthage by turn 188. I just let Wellington capture the last Carthaginian city.
-War with Japan lasted from t112-154. He kept spamming Samurai, but he upgraded my xbows to madmen.
-I was able to snag Machu on turn 130ish. I guess nobody wanted it.
-First Ottoman city was taken with xbows, and the second two were taken with gatling guns.
-I lost all three of my super upgraded immortal pikes trying to capture Istanbul. Apparently they have a hard time being useful between civil service and metallurgy.
-Utique had been captured by the Ottomans, so I took that city as well. It gave me a front porch view into Carthage.
-Suluiman gave me 165gpt to stop kicking his ass.
-I paid everyone on the other continent to declare on Dido. While she was distracted I took her capital.
-I adopted an ideology first and chose autocracy. The second decider was Alex and he also took Autocracy. As of turn 191 we are the only ideologies.
-Alex has the Polynesian capital. I never met Kamalama, so when I finally do decide to attack Alex it will probably be a few nukes.
-Still don't have artillery and I somehow forgot to research public schools, which was stupid, but Alex has it and I have a spy in his city.
-I'm building the PT right now because I'm the only rationalism adopter. That won't be done til after turn 200.

Going forward

I've got open borders with Alex, which means he will let me go attack Poland from his turf. I kinda need to get artillery before I even consider going to the other continent. That is still 12 turns away. I hate waiting in these types of games. Alex is willing to DOW anyone for 2gpt and open borders, so I have that going for me. We will be life long friends him and I. Here are some pics.

Edit: I just realized from looking at these pics that Japan was taken over by a cs. Huh...

I don't get why people are founding their cities on the northwest and almost entirely desert part of the continent (etc. Olodune's Ectabana) - yes, you get great barrier reef, truffles, and some 4food tiles, but 90% are unworkable desert/2food water. Unless you pump it full of trade routes (but no other coastal city) it won't grow past size 10. Why there?
GBR is good early because of science. If you can get that early it will tend to snowball a little bit.

Top Bottom