DEITY CHALLENGE - aiming for sub 200T victory

It made sense in that a lot of people would open liberty to get the settler and then go full tradition.

The downside is that it nerfed the tree for anyone who wanted to use it exclusively.

Yeah, tommynt. Need a new vid soon :) First time in a while I've learned something from a youtubevid!

5 scout opening - someone should write an article about it :)

One that isn't a reload of the previous one would be great. Should check what you upload at least lol

I've just finished my second attempt to sub 200T science victory and my first science game with freedom ideology.

Made some mistakes (too early bulbs) but definitely in proper game (friendly neigbours) freedom is a good choice.

OK third time lucky :) (if I only find time and desire)

Attachments

• T207.jpg
    T207.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 472
I recently rolled a map that gave me my quickest SV (around t245), but it is ideal in a lot of ways. I'm pretty sure I saved the start file and could share it here to see how fast some of you could do it.

I'll give some brief details of the map in a spoiler below and if anyone is interested I'll post it tomorrow.

Spoiler :
I called this map Inca Island, because, well, it's an Inca map and you are on your own island. That's the negative part as you have to get a trireme out early to meet civs, but they are close enough for early contact and having all ocean trade routes makes up for the slight detour, plus you don't have to spend any time on defense (well, at least until late).

The island is big enough for 5-6 full cities, has a ton of terrace farm spots (several with 4-5 food), several small rivers at great locations and a plenty of resources. The best part is that GWB is within reach of 1st expo.

That's probably enough info to give you a taste, but after playing it, I remember thinking that someone really good at this game might be able to set records on this map.

Again, let me know and I'll post the start file tomorrow.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Dutch yet. After all, if you roll a good wheat/floodplain start, the Polder offers a ton of growth potential; more so than terrace farms unless there's a lot of mountains next to the tile. Their coastal start bias also allows for food cargo ships to supplement.

Polders don't kick in until Guilds, so you have to tear down your farms and replant with Polders. If you're saving marshland until Guilds you're losing growth potential. Floodplains are fine, but marsh starts suck. Compare that to the Inca, who get huge food and production from their observatory cities, the Dutch don't compare. The fastest wins will probably be Babylon, Maya, Poland, Inca, Spain or Aztec or Shoshone. IMHO.

Polders don't kick in until Guilds, so you have to tear down your farms and replant with Polders. If you're saving marshland until Guilds you're losing growth potential. Floodplains are fine, but marsh starts suck. Compare that to the Inca, who get huge food and production from their observatory cities, the Dutch don't compare. The fastest wins will probably be Babylon, Maya, Poland, Inca, Spain or Aztec or Shoshone. IMHO.

You don't have Korea there I see. Any reason you think they are slower? I would have put them in too

Tommy, your Incan video is awesome. Will you be posting part four anytime soon?

You don't have Korea there I see. Any reason you think they are slower? I would have put them in too

Oops. That was an omission. Korea belongs in there. However, I will say, I don't love them as much on Deity. Their UA (IMHO) is best for wide science, (the total extra beakers is fixed per city) and Deity + wide is no bueno. But, if we were discussing a settler or chieftain map, and an 8-10 city science victory... the extra beakers is a bigger boost. Not to say Korea isn't awesome at fast science on every level. :)

How many citizens should you unassign in the end when you are converting production to research? Does it matter if one or two citizens die?

How many citizens should you unassign in the end when you are converting production to research? Does it matter if one or two citizens die?

That is quite simple, test it. Adjust and see what your BPT is after each adjustment. You don't even have to go to the next turn, it shows you right there the moment you adjust your workers. Losing population is not something you want, as once you lose the pop, you lose science. If you want to push it, you can build a settler, which prevents population loss.

He said when building research, that means he isn't building a settler. Seeing as you only have to do this in the 8 turns before you bulb, as long as your food isn't so horribly negative that you're going to starve in 8 turns, go for it. However, you're actually better off spamming trading posts and then working them, since an unemployed citizen produces 0.25 beakers while one working a trade post produces 1.

That is quite simple, test it. Adjust and see what your BPT is after each adjustment. You don't even have to go to the next turn, it shows you right there the moment you adjust your workers. Losing population is not something you want, as once you lose the pop, you lose science. If you want to push it, you can build a settler, which prevents population loss.

What is the maximum amount of negative food you can have so that a citizen doesn't die? I'm looking on improving my SV time so I want to know how I can maximize the beakers earned from converting production to research.

What is the maximum amount of negative food you can have so that a citizen doesn't die? I'm looking on improving my SV time so I want to know how I can maximize the beakers earned from converting production to research.

Depends on current population and food store. Let's say at 40 population you need 260 food to grow. If you're at 240 stored food, you can starve at -30 food for 8 turns before you lose a population. However, I'd argue this is a pointless venture.

4 unemployed citizens generate 4 hammers, which generates what, 1 beaker? You'd be better off converting your farms to trading posts. Which is also a bad idea. :p

Has anyone tried going fora SV on a huge map? The techs cost more, but there is much more room to expand and the tech multiplier for extra cities is smaller. India might have the advantage here, since they could easily expand to a dozen very large cities without too many happiness issues.

I'm not sure whether liberty would beat out tradition in this situation. You would need a very large capital to beat liberty's happiness when you have 10 cities. Another thing I'm considering is when to build NC, either on 3 cities early or after expanding fully. I've been playing with a ToA rush using liberty, followed by a rapid NC on 2-3 cities using purchased libraries and then settler spam. I'm not sure it will beat small map tradition, but it has potential.

Lastly, I noticed that temple of Artemis is easily attainable with the free liberty worker, and while it slows early science it might pay off by turn 200.

Has anyone tried going fora SV on a huge map? The techs cost more, but there is much more room to expand and the tech multiplier for extra cities is smaller. India might have the advantage here, since they could easily expand to a dozen very large cities without too many happiness issues.

I'm not sure whether liberty would beat out tradition in this situation. You would need a very large capital to beat liberty's happiness when you have 10 cities. Another thing I'm considering is when to build NC, either on 3 cities early or after expanding fully. I've been playing with a ToA rush using liberty, followed by a rapid NC on 2-3 cities using purchased libraries and then settler spam. I'm not sure it will beat small map tradition, but it has potential.

Lastly, I noticed that temple of Artemis is easily attainable with the free liberty worker, and while it slows early science it might pay off by turn 200.

The problem is you don't have time. Turn 200 comes so fast the ROI time isn't there. This is why Spain has a good shot at this. Getting your cities up 15-20 turns earlier is more than a 10% bonus because of the non-linear mechanics.

I am convinced someone can do this, you just have to have the right map.

Top Bottom