Religion in BNW

avrilFan

Chieftain
In my Venice game, the AI Egypt found religion before me and then spread over the world. c.15turns later i also found Catholism. But everyone else followed Egypt's Islam, so i feel they hate me although i didn't engage them. Does religion play an important role in this expansion? And consequences of being spread and how i can defend it?

Having a different religion doesn't mean any negative diplo modifiers as far as I know. Trying to spread your religion with missionaries or prophets to someone who already has a native religion will make them angry though.

The easiest way to avoid getting the enemy religion is by city placement. Don't settle within 10 tiles of your neighbour if you think he will found his religion before you do. After you have found your religion you can start settling within their sphere of influence, as long as you calculate the religious pressures and are sure that you will have more pressure on those cities.

Having a different religion removes one of the percentage modifiers for tourism, if I'm not mistaken.

Having a different religion removes one of the percentage modifiers for tourism, if I'm not mistaken.

I just saw this mouseover in the tourism screen. What constitutes the other civs' main religion? A majority of cities or followers with that religion?

Yes if they are a converted civ (no religion of their own).

I'm 90% certain that the bonus also works against civs who have their own religion, as long as the majority of their cities follow your religion.

For example, in late game, you can send a prophet into their lands, convert 4 cities and if that civ has 7 or less cities, you get the bonus.

Top Bottom