Cannot belive i just lost this + a question

nemesis464

Chieftain
So I was happily going towards my culture victory with the Aztecs, and only had one/two more turns to get influential over the last CIV (Songhai).

I was at war with the Songhai because they didn't like my religion + ideology and I began to see more and more 'X has completed Y spaceship part' popping up along the side.

I couldn't hurry along the tourism vs Songhai because as we were at war with me, so no open borders/trade routes. And they wouldn't accept peace, despite me tearing through a few of their cities.

Eventually they made peace. One. Turn. Too. Late...and the next turn Sweden won the science victory!

EDIT: Not sure why It says falling. I was always rising before the victory.

Now the question: Is there a reason why cultural is much harder than the other conditions to win? I could have easily won scientific or diplomatic 100+ turns ago, but cultural seems to take forever.

On the other hand, someone else said on another thread that cultural is actually the easiest condition to win :confused:; he said you often stumble into it while going after something else.

Which is just what happened to me in my last game. As Portugal, I was going for science, but realized that I probably wouldn't be able to do it by 2050 (even though I was leading in every category). So I switched to diplomatic, which was a sure victory - and then won by culture nine turns before the world leader vote.

On the other hand, someone else said on another thread that cultural is actually the easiest condition to win :confused:; he said you often stumble into it while going after something else.

Personally, I find culture incredibly easy in vanilla and G&K, however in BNW it is a lot more difficult.

Science is always the easiest, IMO.

Personally, I find culture incredibly easy in vanilla and G&K, however in BNW it is a lot more difficult.

Science is always the easiest, IMO.

In the Portugal game I mentioned, I was not on track to launch the spaceship by 2050, even though I was far ahead of everyone else technologically (and in every other category). Perhaps by min-maxing everything over the remaining 25 turns, I could have launched on the final turn. I would also have won the score victory anyway, come to think of it.

The main reason for that, I think, is that Research Agreements can now only be done with friends. There was a severe lack of RAs in that game. That is why everyone was more behind than they would have been otherwise. Being new to BNW, I am still trying to work out how to get the science victory in BNW in a timely manner, when so many RAs are required and RAs are linked to DoFs.

Which is just what happened to me in my last game. As Portugal, I was going for science, but realized that I probably wouldn't be able to do it by 2050 (even though I was leading in every category). So I switched to diplomatic, which was a sure victory - and then won by culture nine turns before the world leader vote.

I presume this wasn't on BNW?

You would hardly have any tourism if you weren't going for a culture victory, so it'd be almost impossible to win that way.

In the Portugal game I mentioned, I was not on track to launch the spaceship by 2050, even though I was far ahead of everyone else technologically (and in every other category). Perhaps by min-maxing everything over the remaining 25 turns, I could have launched on the final turn. I would also have won the score victory anyway, come to think of it.

The main reason for that, I think, is that Research Agreements can now only be done with friends. There was a severe lack of RAs in that game. That is why everyone was more behind than they would have been otherwise. Being new to BNW, I am still trying to work out how to get the science victory in BNW in a timely manner, when so many RAs are required and RAs are linked to DoFs.

What difficulty do you play on btw? I find it pretty easy to get the spaceship and tons of science, and I never sign RA's

I presume this wasn't on BNW?

You would hardly have any tourism if you weren't going for a culture victory, so it'd be almost impossible to win that way.

It was BNW; I said I was Portugal. ;)

Good question though, I'm glad you pointed that out.

Earlier in the game, I noticed that Persia was running away strongly for the culture victory. His capital had 10+ wonders, including most of the cultural ones, and a ton of Great Works. So I conquered Persia. And...that's what did it.

EDIT: It was Prince, Standard speed and Standard size map. It'd be interesting to know how you do it without RAs. Oh, and I did have tons of science, over 2000 per turn in the Information Era I think. Still barely enough to research all those late-game techs in a timely manner. However, I teched both Globalization and the Internet. Without researching those, I think I definitely could have launched the spaceship before 2050.

It was BNW; I said I was Portugal. ;)

EDIT: It was Prince, Standard speed and Standard size map. It'd be interesting to know how you do it without RAs. Oh, and I did have tons of science, over 2000 per turn in the Information Era I think. However, I teched both Globalization and the Internet. Without researching those, I think I definitely could have launched the spaceship before 2050.

Ah, fair enough, didn't realise you would capture a capital!

I'm not sure what's up with the science then. In my screenshot above, I have a fairly low science because I didn't focus it, but still could have finished the rocket ages ago.

Really not sure then, sorry :(

Ah, fair enough, didn't realise you would capture a capital!

I'm not sure what's up with the science then. In my screenshot above, I have a fairly low science because I didn't focus it, but still could have finished the rocket ages ago.

Really not sure then, sorry :(

Oh, you're right. What were your settings, btw? In the screenshot it says the year is 2076? I always play on standard everything as much as possible so I'm not familiar with the other game speeds and game modes.

Technologies cost more science depending on how many cities you have, so if you puppeted Persia's cities, that could've been a factor.

Umm, I was on quick I think (I'm not sure how it scales- I assumed it was the same values, just stuff done at a shorter time). Difficulty was on 7... think that's immortal?

I've left the turn max. off by mistake as well. I came straight from playing a PlayEurope mod, and wanted to win by domination, which would be nigh-impossible with the max. turns on ;)

EDIT: In regards to the above post, I had 2 cities all game, so that might be why I could have got easier techs for the rocket.

Technologies cost more science depending on how many cities you have, so if you puppeted Persia's cities, that could've been a factor.

Yeah, I thought of that. But that added technology cost for every city, was that present in BNW at release, or was it only added in the fall patch?

Yeah, I thought of that. But that added technology cost for every city, was that present in BNW at release, or was it only added in the fall patch?

I think it was in vanilla, actually.

It was added in BNW to nerf runaway city diarrhea AIs

You lost the lead? It happens. Better luck next time. It is not like I've lost the lead before.

Couldn't you musician bomb him? I works during wars as well. What ideology did yoU take?

Couldn't you musician bomb him? I works during wars as well. What ideology did yoU take?

Freedom I think, which was a bad choice looking back.

I would have done the musician bomb, but I'd bought so many with faith already, I couldn't afford another for ages.

Top Bottom