Culture Overview Dissidents

Plint

Chieftain
Hi, does anyone know what screen I should be viewing to figure out why my civilization (Celts) are not happy with my Ideology? I’m confused as to why Venice has the same Order ideology as I do and they are content. I've attached an image, but not sure how much this will help. I appreciate the guidance, thanks!

Attachments

• 2014-02-22_00001.jpg
    2014-02-22_00001.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 263
Looks like the Shoshone are going for a culture victory. How influential are they with you? If you have open borders or they are close and have trade routes their influence on you will be more. This is the source of your unhappiness according to the popup. I was next to the Aztecs one game and caused their citizens to go into revolution because of my tourism output.

The Shoshone (Autocracy) have one point of influence on you, which means they are one influence category (unknown, exotic, popular, etc.) over you as compared to you over them (not surprising, since they are generating the most tourism). To confirm, go to the last screen and check your influence over them, and then check their influence over you. That screen will also show what tourism he has vs. you and you vs. him. Note that tourism back and forth can be modified by various in-game tools, so you can't just look at his 70 base tourism and your 49 base tourism. For example, if you sold him open borders and he has a trade route running to you and a diplomat in your capital, he will have at least +59% tourism modifiers vs. you (+25% from borders, +25% from trade route, +25% from diplomat and -34% from differing ideology). On the other hand, if you have no modifiers and no diplomat in his capital, you will be at -34% modifier (different ideology). That combo would mean he would be sending you 111 tourism and you would be sending him only 32 tourism, which, obviously, is not likely to close the gap any time soon.

Best defense is a two-pronged approach -- generate more culture to prevent him from gaining further ground and generate more tourism (and tourism modifiers) over him to get to parity (e.g., if he is exotic on you but you are unknown to him, more culture will help keep him at exotic over you and more tourism will help you get to exotic on him).

Alright, I think I’m getting a better understanding. So when I look at the Influence by Player and select the Shoshone, is the 19744 culture what they are pushing out to me to create the Exotic level of culture? (Please see attached image)

Attachments

• 2014-02-22_00002.jpg
    2014-02-22_00002.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 97
This doesn't look too bad. He has no positive tourism modifiers vs. you, so his base tourism is haircut by 34% due to different ideology, making his net tourism vs. you 46 tourism per turn, which is then accumulated in a bucket (the white bar) and compared to your accumulated culture since the beginning of the game (the purple bar, which for you is currently 19,744 culture).

If you look at the flip side (your tourism vs. his culture), it will say you are "unknown" to him. If you mouse hover over the Shoshone's icon on the left-hand side of the screen, it will tell you what percentage influence you have. It will probably be in the high single digits (say, 7%), which puts you in easy striking distance of getting exotic on him. Unless he hates you, you can buy open borders from him for 2 gpt (a great investment). That, and a diplomat in his capital, will get your positive modifiers to +16% (+50% - 34%). If you can get a trade route to him (he may be too far away), you can get that to +41%.

Awesome, the breakout above helps a lot! Originally, hovering over the icons gave way more information than I could comprehend. Slowly but surely things are clearing up. Thanks again for the support!

Note that this is a case that really shows why you should build the 3 guilds even if you aren't going for Cultural victory. Getting to exotic is easy even with only a few great works.

Top Bottom