Work in progess and Previews

one word: eye candy. (well, that's two words, but you get my drift!)

Hows this? I think its a huge improvement, from the last preview.

Attachments

• vvvv.jpg
    vvvv.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 202

I wanted to put the three “complete” versions I’ve seen side by side, so my impressions wouldn’t be based on comparing faulty memories. The Leftmost is from your RoA LH thread. The Center is your first posted here, and on the Right is the most recent version you’ve posted.

R: I really like the facial sculpting you’ve done. Combined with the pose (head tilt) I think it gives her a quite Indian look. The way the strands of pearls criss-cross and showing the edge of her sari over her shoulder really add to the life of this image.

Personally I would like to see you go back to the headdress you used in the previous images (both L & C). I feel it would better match the pattern on the sari. Her bindi in L also is more suitable for an era one formal occasion, IMHO.

Since she was originally to be a Tamil/Dravidian queen, for my taste the skin tone in L is closer to what she would have had. Her eyes ought to be large and emphasized, to match classical Indian ideals, and that skin tone also helped to accomplish that.

I truly believe this is one of, if not the, most outstanding female LHs I’ve seen. And it’s not done yet.

Well, off the top of my head, Indira Gandhi was Prime Minister of India from the mid 60s to mid 70s. She counts as India's first female prime minister to date and left profound effects on her nation during her office. She is probably the important female in India's history.

As to an actual female queen, Rani Lakshmibai comes to mind. She is so to say the Joan d'Arc of India, also resisiting British rule as Joan did. However, she ruled a northern kingdom of India.

Keladi Chennamma on the otherhand ruled in one of the southern Indian provinces (Karnatak to be exact). She fought off the Mughal invasion successfully and actually led her troops personally into battle. I think she's the best candidate for your leaderhead since she is described as having been very beautiful and matches your leaderheads look pretty good, ruled in southern India (although not Ceylon, it's the closest of the three), and was a great warrior queen.

And the revamped look you did to the face looks really good. Much more like an actual Indian woman. :goodjob:

Her head looks rather small compared to her body in the modern pic.

Wow! These are really great, especialy the Ceaser. As for the Indian one the head defenitely needs to be bigger, I like the little necklace excellent detail:goodjob:

Any chance of a Cleopatra sometime?:mischief:

I want to have her be the head for India. Do you know any important Indian Queens?
The other suggestions all seem to be from industrial/modern era. And she looks nothing like Indira Ghandi. So...

To quote prior conversations about her in other threads:
Taprobane/Vijaya, to quote a PM i sent Shirou a while back "for Sri Lanka I would pick Kuveni. An indigenous queen, it was only by her cooperation and marriage that Prince Vijaya was able to take over and Indianize the island. After he took an Indian second wife she and many of her people rebelled and fought a guerilla war from the jungle. Because she is so early in history, no good images of her exist, but a Tamil looking female would be appropriate."
Shirou is working on a LH that would work well for any Dravidian civ .

I think I might name the Southern Indian civ 'Tamil', rather than a specific kingdom - I'll explain the details in the civpedia. I've seen Shiro's LH, it's fantastic, I would love to include it in the scenario.
... Or are there any Tamil queen names that I could use that you know of?
She's Kuveni, queen of Lanka circa 500 BCE, prior to conquest by Indian invaders.
It's important for those new to the discussion to understand what Shirou already knows: that asking for an Indian queen is about as specific as asking for a European queen (the geographic extent and cultural diversity are similar). But the C3C standard set has India as one civ. Since the modern borders of India are only defined as they are now as fallout of the British Raj, Kuveni would count as Indian, unless someone cares to make a Lankan civ.

Or...
@ Blue Monkey- I would like to have 3 Indian heads, but I want to use that female Indian head, where can she go?
Tamils were matrilineal if not always matriarchal. So Cholas out of the choices listed in the last page or two.
Kuveni sounds OK, though if you can find any queens closer to 300 BCE they would be better. I'm happy that I can finally get a female LH into the scenario.

I have 4 Indian civs - Taxilas (leader Ambhi), Pauravas (leader Porus), Maurya (leader Chandragupta Maurya) and soon the Tamils.
Trolling the web the only other name I can find is Manikilli, a Chola princess mentioned only as the mother of a Chera (Kerala) King. And she's a little late (1-2 century CE). This is frustrating because I find references to how matriarchal the Tamils were before the Classical era (1st-5th CE), but no names.

The other suggestions all seem to be from industrial/modern era. And she looks nothing like Indira Ghandi. So...

To quote prior conversations about her in other threads:

It's important for those new to the discussion to understand what Shirou already knows: that asking for an Indian queen is about as specific as asking for a European queen (the geographic extent and cultural diversity are similar). But the C3C standard set has India as one civ. Since the modern borders of India are only defined as they are now as fallout of the British Raj, Kuveni would count as Indian, unless someone cares to make a Lankan civ.

Or...Originally Posted by Blue Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroKobbure
@ Blue Monkey- I would like to have 3 Indian heads, but I want to use that female Indian head, where can she go?

Tamils were matrilineal if not always matriarchal. So Cholas out of the choices listed in the last page or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroro
Kuveni sounds OK, though if you can find any queens closer to 300 BCE they would be better. I'm happy that I can finally get a female LH into the scenario.

I have 4 Indian civs - Taxilas (leader Ambhi), Pauravas (leader Porus), Maurya (leader Chandragupta Maurya) and soon the Tamils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monkey
Trolling the web the only other name I can find is Manikilli, a Chola princess mentioned only as the mother of a Chera (Kerala) King. And she's a little late (1-2 century CE). This is frustrating because I find references to how matriarchal the Tamils were before the Classical era (1st-5th CE), but no names.

What Blue said......

On my world map I can only have 31 civs. And so I had to make India one civ, So I would want her to be a queen of India, and base the city list and starting point from the kingdom she ruled. On my map Sri Lanka is barbarian. And even today Sri Lanka and India are two different countries.

But if i cannot find anything I could just make her an ambassador from India, or choose any Queen name of India from a Wikipedia search.
But if possible I would like to find an important queen or princess from India that she can be.

Most historical Maharanis that ruled in their own right are more regional than national in repute. Tarabai is a typical example who might make a good choice, if you want someone both strictly Indian (which would let out any queens that were Mughal or descended from the Islamic invaders) and historical. The two mentioned by Gen. Rommel are of the same ilk.

If you're willing to look at queens as much legendary as historical (like the Cleopatra of the popular imagination), Sita (from the Ramayana), or less so Draupadi (from the Mahabharata), are important cultural and ethical role models throughout India up 'til today. As icon conscious as traditional Indians are, an alternate history (like any game of civ) with a "Maharani Sita" as leader would be very plausible, and similar to having Joan of Arc as a French leader, as Gen Rommel also pointed out.

I think I need better backgrounds
Personally I like the first era background. I think it's suitable for any Indian LH.

Possibilities for the first or second era are Meenakshi Temple in Madurai (in Tamil Nadu), another good image; or, the Shore Temple at Mahabalipuram ( a pilgrimage site in southern India; or, the Ghats in Varanasi (Benares), the place in the holiest city in India where the faithful bathe in the Ganges.

Try the Gateway of India in Mumbai (Bombay) for Industrial era (the style is called Indo-Gothic,basically a South Asian Victorian style).

Modern Era: The Bombay Stock Exchange ( another look). For something ultra-modern take a look at the Le Corbusier public buildings for Chandigarh (ignore that the site's in German, just click on any link that looks like a building or government office - the Assembly Hall is one of my favorites).

There are many other images of these sites you can find on the web.

Personally I like the first era background. I think it's suitable for any Indian LH.

Possibilities for the first or second era are Meenakshi Temple in Madurai (in Tamil Nadu), another good image; or, the Shore Temple at Mahabalipuram ( a pilgrimage site in southern India; or, the Ghats in Varanasi (Benares), the place in the holiest city in India where the faithful bathe in the Ganges.

Try the Gateway of India in Mumbai (Bombay) for Industrial era (the style is called Indo-Gothic,basically a South Asian Victorian style).

Modern Era: The Bombay Stock Exchange ( another look). For something ultra-modern take a look at the Le Corbusier public buildings for Chandigarh (ignore that the site's in German, just click on any link that looks like a building or government office - the Assembly Hall is one of my favorites).

There are many other images of these sites you can find on the web.

I would suggest using the ideas Blue Monkey osted. As he said, the first era looks fine. Of the other pics posted, I'd use the Meenakshi Temple for the medieval era, the Gateway of India for the industrial age, and the definitely the Bombay Stock Exchange for modern (nothing better represents the massive economic rise of India currently).

Top Bottom