The Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Question Thread II!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benny Hill music can make a lot of things that aren't that funny pretty funny, so I wouldn't say pathetic.

Well, if they were naked women, a la Soldier of Fortune, then maybe... But killing scientists to benny hill is always funny.

Is it true that the majority of Switzerland wants to join the EU? Do you think it will happen?

Also how important is the Church of England in the UK? I guess my question is, does the Church of England only really influence England or the entire UK?

Also how important is the Church of England in the UK? I guess my question is, does the Church of England only really influence England or the entire UK?

Generally the CoE is of no importance whatsoever, but it is a little more complex than that.

The CoE was always a fudge to protect the state from the power of the church* while still providing someone to preside at wedding and tell soldiers god is on their side and so forth. Which it basically continues to do, along with its now central role of providing most of the "thought for the day" segments on Radio 4's Today show.

* As in general was European secularism. In the US the seperation of Church and State was (arguably) more to protect the church from the state.

Generally the CoE is of no importance whatsoever, but it is a little more complex than that.

Not true. There are members of the House of Lords that are members only because they are priests in the Church of England.

Not true. There are members of the House of Lords that are members only because they are priests in the Church of England.

Who generally dont vote. The Chief Rabbi was a Lord, a few from the Church of Ireland, some Welsh and Scottish ministers too. Catholics have been offered places, but wont swear the oath.

This is the oddity of the whole thing. Clergy sitting in the upper chamber who almost never mention God, have little real power and are part of an essentially secular society. In the US there is the constitutional seperation between church and state yet ironically the church has far more real political power.

If someone planned on being a history teacher or an English teacher or something like that, how much math would they need to take? Is calculus really necessary?

Honestly, even if you aren't naturally good at math, intro calculus courses shouldn't be too hard, provided you put the necessary effort into the class, it's stuff like abstract algebra or advanced vector calculus that gets tricky.

No idea about actual course requirments for your area though, they depend on location, if you're curious, probably your best bet is contacting the school/department in question.

What is the proper spelling of the word "cockamaemy"? Sounds like cock-a-may-me, and means silly, strange, possibly complicated or confusing. I say it all the time and once heard it used like this:

"Hey what are you doing over there?"

"I'm trying to install this cockamaemy bike thing."

cockamamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom