The Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Question Thread II!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wants to ask: Is that the truth that most videos on Youtube are good for Obama and bad for McCain. If it is the truth, then why?

Obama is more popular among young people, and YouTube is most popular among young people.

I've never really understood British politics and the whole "Prime Minister" and Parliament thing...

This is not by any means truly accurate, but it is a decent way for an American to comprehend it.

Get rid of the executive branch (the President, veep, etc) entirely. The Speaker of the House would be the Prime Minister and leader of the nation. Their leader is the head of the party in control of their lower chamber of Congress (Parliament). It can lead to slightly less stable forms of government when compared to the Presidential system, but doesn't seem to suffer from the potential of power abuse that Presidential systems can.

Why are so many of the gas-processing thingies out in the Gulf of Mexico? Why don't they do that on land, where hurricanes won't screw 'em up so badly?

Question

The phrase "the horsehockey end of the stick" implys that sticks where one end was covered in poop were suficiently common to create their own idiom. While I can see why on occasion there would be a stick with one end covered in poop, why was such an occurance common enough to generate it's own phrase. What was the purpose that required enough horsehockey sticks that the concept entered the common consiousness?

I believe this, and the "wrong end of the stick" originated with the Romans who used sticks with sponges or just sticks to wipe their arses.
If you took it by the wrong end...

Question: This forum has the button to add that spoiler box thing. If you were going to do it somewhere else on a blog/website, what are the html tags for it?

What's the "other white meat"?
I hear it from alot of American sources, and imagine it's something quite yankee specific.

Question: This forum has the button to add that spoiler box thing. If you were going to do it somewhere else on a blog/website, what are the html tags for it?
there's no dedicated HTML-Tag for that. This site solves it by using javascript to hide/display the 'spoilered' part. More or less like that:

HTML:
<div>
    <b>Spoiler</b>:  
    <input type="button" value="Show" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = '';        this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Show'; }">
</div>
<div>
    <div style="display: none;">
        test
    </div>
</div>

Could one of you please answer my question? Also, Why would more Protestants move to states like Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas when the first settlers, many of whom were Protestant, settled in the East?

Could one of you please answer my question? Also, Why would more Protestants move to states like Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas when the first settlers, many of whom were Protestant, settled in the East?

I would assume that many of the people going to America right at the start wanted to essentially continue a similar life but owning their own farm. EG if you are a younger son and will not inherit the farm and there is no feasable way for you to earn enough money to buy a farm you go to America where there is free land. As the land around the NE got fuller the free (gratis) land got further away in the states you list. Then the prospective farmer would need significant funds to continue their journey. The prodistants were more likely to have funds left when they got off the boat.

To simplify it an Irish catholic more likely (very broadly speaking) to be poorer than an English Prodistant. Their motivations may also be slightly different vis the ratio of escaping persecution v economic migration. Also there could be a difference of asparation in terms of the benefits of agrarian life where the prodistant sees such a life as one that could be for him very profitable where the catholic may see it as synomous with exploitation.

people didnt settle there because of religion, but ethnicity and availability of CHEAP land. Minnesota (and Manitoba in Canada) have very high populations (proportionally) of Scandinavians, and Scandinavians are mostly protestants.

as well, I think it would be like Canada and the prairies, when they wanted people to move they offered tons of land for a low price to settle there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom