The Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Question Thread II!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the significance, if any exists, of this internet picture thing:

Spoiler :

I sat here for 5 minutes trying to think of an answer. I'm afraid none exists. :(

I think it is a picture of Spiderman asking how to shoot web.

I think it is a picture of Spiderman asking how to shoot web.

I figured, but there are millions of variations. It's an internet thing, much like SHOOP DA WHOOP and LOL WUT, but I have no idea what it is or why it's supposed to be funny, besides the fact that it says "shot" where it should say "shoot".

you are from singapore right? Maybe you should get a mouth-surgery first before you can pronounce a proper "r"? :confused:

(and for those who think i'm flaming, such surgeries exist and are well-known in south korea)

I can pronouce a R, despite the, irregularities in the speech of "my" countrymen.
Whats that got to do with a French accent?

And how do you pronouce this?

'Il est merveilleux'

And is "Bienvenue" pronouced Bi-ner-venue or something else?

Bienvenue is

Bi (like the letter B) en (letter N) venoo (the word venue but with an oo at the end, not a you sound)

for bee/en/ven/oo

alternatively

bee/on/ven/oo

Worcester is pronounced "Wurster." It's the English pronounciation.

Leicester is pronounced "Lester."

Likewise, anything ending in "shire" is pronounced like the word "sure," so Lincolnshire is pronounced "Link-un-shurr."

Worcester - "Wurhstuh", or "Wor-sess-tuh" when we are making fun of the Americans.

Leicester - "Lestuh", or "Lay-sess-tuh" when we are making fun of the Americans.

Lincolnshire - "Lin-cuhn-sheer", or "Lin-col-nee-shy-ur" when we are making fun of the Americans.

Sacra Blu
Sacre bleu, it means "Holy Blue", I think it's similar to the way English people use "Holy Crap" or "Holy Cow", it doesn't have to mean anything for an English-speaking person, it's just an expression. Could be a bit of a "parody" of Frenchness, too, I think. Then again, I'm not very good in French.

Zut Allourz

I have no idea what that might be. :)

What are the meanings of these French expressions:

Sacra Blu

Zut Allourz

Both of those are based on English phonetic spelling since I have no idea how to spell them in French.

They are quite nonsensical.

Sacré Bleu is kinda like "By Jove!" or "Goodness!", an exclamation of surprise somewhat.

Zut allors is kinda like "Damn" or "Blast", more of a very mild curse. Serves a more infantile perpose than "merde!"

What is the significance, if any exists, of this internet picture thing:

Spoiler :

From the beginning of Spiderman's creation by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1962 the two have included occasional grammatical mistakes in their comic productions, as they see that the average youth needs their grammar skills improved. In fact, Ditko remarked in 1971:

"Even when I was a young boy of perhaps 8 or 9 I was aware of a distinct lack of grammatical skill in my school. Even the teachers would insert unnecessary apostrophe's and, put in random commas. At this time my career as a comic artist was blossoming and I figured that I could get my message of educating children of my age at the time."

I hope that has answered your question. :)

I hope that has answered your question. :)

It did indeed! I suppose in todays world of spellcheckers and whatnot, this picture is somewhat of an annomaly, which would lead to it's spread around the net.

Thanks! :)

Would spellcheckers find anything wrong with that sentence? After all, "shot" is a valid word, only used in a wrong context... :)

How exactly do the House and Senate work? How is the Speaker determined? How are committee heads determined? How do they decide which committees even exist and who's on which one? Can you be on more than one committee at a time?

It's pretty embarrassing I don't know this :blush:.

What are the meanings of these French expressions:

Sacra Blu

Zut Allourz

Both of those are based on English phonetic spelling since I have no idea how to spell them in French.

They are quite nonsensical.

Sacré Bleu is kinda like "By Jove!" or "Goodness!", an exclamation of surprise somewhat.

Zut allors is kinda like "Damn" or "Blast", more of a very mild curse. Serves a more infantile perpose than "merde!"

First one is actually sacrebleu - there is no accent even in French. It comes from sacré bleu indeed, but usage has concatenated and deaccentuated it. Sacré means holy, and bleu means blue, a reference to "blue blood", or the nobility. Another curse based on the same idea is palsembleu, which comes from "Par le sang bleu", or "by the blue blood!".
Note that sacrebleu has not been used in France since the early 19th-century, despite what American cartoon characters would have you believe :)

the second one is "zut alors", and as Noncon said, a very mild curse. I would translate it as "well, shoot!". It has also fallen out of use.

As a general rule, depiction of France or French people in the American media is 60 years out of date :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom