Blue Marble V4.0 Gold

I just wanted to chime in against brightening the colors. I think it looks pretty amazing as-is.

On a rare nod to concurrence... I agree with JustATourist.

It looks very nice, but on-the-whole seems like the entire world is in twighlight-mode.

It is rare indeed.

I didn't want to write it that directly, but twighlight is exactly my feeling, too. Like you don't play on earth anymore but on a dark hostil planet.

Probably it is because I played with v3.0 (and earlier versions) quite much, I am used to it and the new terrain seems just foreign. Like I wrote, the water is really better than before, but on land more realistic is not allways better, too.

Hmm, what do you other guys think? Are there people who like the new lighting (like me), or is it general consensus that the terrain is too dark now? I would be willing to make the terrain somewhat brighter again, but not that then will come complaints from other people?

Is it possible to add a brighter version and to make it selectable in the installer, whether the user want to use the brighter or the current terrain? Or perhaps I should better ask, if it too much trouble. After all it is your mod and we should be quite at the peanut gallery. ;)

Hmm, I think I will start working on a somewhat brighter version then, as there seems to be a noticeable demand. I should have something for you to download until next weekend. Just for double checking technical problems: In v4 I did not change the brightness of deserts, hills and mountains, so hopefully you do not have a problem with this terrain? Perhaps you have a screenshot of what you perceive as "Twilight Zone"? If I am correct it should be enough to brighten up the grass and perhaps the plains also a tiny bit, back into the direction of v3. And then probably ocean a bit too, so that the stronger contrast then is not getting to heavy.

Perhaps you have a screenshot of what you perceive as "Twilight Zone"? If I am correct it should be enough to brighten up the grass and perhaps the plains also a tiny bit, back into the direction of v3. And then probably ocean a bit too, so that the stronger contrast then is not getting to heavy.
I don't know about a picture, but I'm talking the literal translation of twilight.

Twilight:

1a. The diffused light from the sky during the early evening or early morning when the sun is below the horizon and its light is refracted by the earth's atmosphere.
1b. The time of the day when the sun is just below the horizon, especially the period between sunset and dark.

2. Dim or diffused illumination.

To me... this version/set of graphics for the world seems as-if you're playing at the crack of dawn or dusk... it does not seem to be lit by daylight, but rather that dim lighting of when the sun is just below the horizon.

As-if all your battles and movement are done at the crack of dawn in the morning, or late in the evening just after the sun dips below the skyline.

Installation is being a hassle. Where should I be directing the file to install?.. (I downloaded Civ4 through Steam.)

Where should I be directing the file to install?.. (I downloaded Civ4 through Steam.)

Sorry, as the download page says, BlueMarble only supports the CD/DVD-versions. Steam uses a different installation scheme, and because I do not own the Steam version, I cannot test and support it and BlueMarble will not recognize this version.

This could help you:
1. Try placing CivBlueMarble.exe into the Civ4 home directory (where you did install it) before running the installer.
2. BlueMarble looks for a "Civilization4.exe" in the Civ4 home directory. If such a file does not exist in your Steam version then create it in your Civ4 home directory (copy from your Steam installation)
3. To check if the addons "Warlords" and "Beyond the Sword" are installed, BlueMarble will look for
"Civ4Warlords.exe" in the Civ4-subdirectory "Warlords.exe"
"Civ4BeyondSword.exe" in the Civ4-subdirectory "Beyond the Sword"
If you do have the addons installed but not in these subdirectories (possibly Steam installs into own directories, not subdirectories of Civ4) try creating these subdirectories and copy the EXEs into it.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but the Steam version seems to be a very special one. It also requires other patches than the CD/DVD original.

V4.20 has been posted.
As requested here, it brings a somewhat sunnier grassland again. There also are minor corrections for the text color selectbox of the installer and an incorrect overlap pattern of some terrain details. Thanks for your feedback!

There is no need to uninstall an old BlueMarble version before installing this new one.

It's much better now. :) Of course it is still a little bit unused, but it's really better. Thanks for brighten the grass. :)

You are welcome. But hmmm, I wonder if there are different results on different hardware. Based on your feedback and my personal taste I tried for hours to find a new compromise for V4.20, but you still seem to perceive it a bit too dark while for my taste it's now already a bit too bright. Such different experience we did not have with V3, so I wonder about the reasons.

If someone who still thinks even 4.20 is too dark would like to support me, he could reinstall V3, take a screenshot, then install V4.20 and take a screenshot of the same scene, then show me where V4.20 would be too dark compared to V3. Apart from the Sea and the Tundra, where this affect is desired for more realism, there shouldn't be much difference anymore since V4.20.

You are welcome. But hmmm, I wonder if there are different results on different hardware. Based on your feedback and my personal taste I tried for hours to find a new compromise for V4.20, but you still seem to perceive it a bit too dark while for my taste it's now already a bit too bright. Such different experience we did not have with V3, so I wonder about the reasons.

If someone who still thinks even 4.20 is too dark would like to support me, he could reinstall V3, take a screenshot, then install V4.20 and take a screenshot of the same scene, then show me where V4.20 would be too dark compared to V3. Apart from the Sea and the Tundra, where this affect is desired for more realism, there shouldn't be much difference anymore since V4.20.

I don't know, if it has to do with hardware. For example if I would give more brightness into my monitor, the interface and pedia would become brighter too, and it would become definitively too bright. And if I look at your screenshots, I think it is the same that I see ingame.

I really think it is a matter of what you prefer and what you are used to. I have played with v3.0 from a long time, and I am used to it. I think if I play a complete game or two with v4.0 I will get used to it too. I think the terrain is really all right now. The water is much better for example. And I like the new background screens for example while the game is loading very much.

Don't think too much about it anymore. :)

Thanks for the great mod! I've been using Blue Marble for about a year (since v3 I believe) and recently reinstalled my BTS game. So I just downloaded and installed v4.20 and it looks even better than it did before! Many thanks and keep up the good work!

I also bought my copy of the game BTS from STEAM so it was a little tricky getting it to install properly. But, thanks to your response to Psycho_Ivan's post, I was able to get it working. These are the steps I used:

1. I downloaded "CivBlueMarble.zip" and unziped it on my desktop.

2. Moved the file "CivBlueMarble.exe" to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword"

3. Since there was no file called "Civilization4.exe", I created a blank text file and named it "Civilization4.exe" in the "sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword" folder

4. Ran "CIvBlueMarble.exe" and it worked like a champ!

I'm not sure if "BlueMarble.exe" has to actually be in this same folder or not, but us STEAM users definitely have to add the blank text file named "Civilization4.exe" to the "sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword" folder.

Hope this helps! And thanks to ColdFever for this great addition to the game!

I find it just nice on my laptop, but on my desktop (still CRT monitor) it is way, way too dark.
Can you tell me which terrain you find too dark? As you will find the in readme of v4.20 above, this version already has been brightened up since v4.00. On my color-calibrated LCD it now already appears a bit too bright now. If your CRT still shows it too dark, I would suggest downloading v3.00 from the BlueMarble homepage. That version has a different color scheme that is brighter and hopefully could work better for you.

Can you tell me which terrain you find too dark?

I think it's just 4.0, will try the latest one

The thing is if it's bright enough for my CRT, its going to be way too bright and washed out for the laptop. I already know this. I don't think you can do a version that's going to be right for everyone.

Hey Coldefever, just to drop in and say what a great mod this one is, great job.

Also, if someone is wondering, what i did to get this working with the BAT mod (i only tested with that mod, so it's only necessary if you're using one with custom terrains) is i copied the custom assets/art/terrain folder into the mod's corresponding folder. That was enough to get it working. Bear in mind though, i'm no modder, nor exeperienced on this, this was just an experiment i wanted to share.

Thanks for the great mod! I've been using Blue Marble for about a year (since v3 I believe) and recently reinstalled my BTS game. So I just downloaded and installed v4.20 and it looks even better than it did before! Many thanks and keep up the good work!

I also bought my copy of the game BTS from STEAM so it was a little tricky getting it to install properly. But, thanks to your response to Psycho_Ivan's post, I was able to get it working. These are the steps I used:

1. I downloaded "CivBlueMarble.zip" and unziped it on my desktop.

2. Moved the file "CivBlueMarble.exe" to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword"

3. Since there was no file called "Civilization4.exe", I created a blank text file and named it "Civilization4.exe" in the "sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword" folder

4. Ran "CIvBlueMarble.exe" and it worked like a champ!

I'm not sure if "BlueMarble.exe" has to actually be in this same folder or not, but us STEAM users definitely have to add the blank text file named "Civilization4.exe" to the "sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword" folder.

Hope this helps! And thanks to ColdFever for this great addition to the game!

It's installing fine now- thank you very much for the help. ;)

I've tried 4.2, but I find I enjoy 3.0 more. I didn't like the gold color of the menus, and I didn't like how dark everything was made.

I suppose I like how the blue of 3.0 blends with the blue of the water, the clouds in the background of the screens...etc.

Top Bottom