faster civ,a lot faster

alexess

Chieftain
greetings
i play civ on a laptop hp div6, way beyond the min required from the game and like most of players am pissed off from long wait between turns. i tried everything suggested everywhere to no avail; eventually i found a way to reduce waiting time A LOT as i m about to show:)
playing civ on a laptop may sound crazy but it has a good point to it in understanding why things slow down the way they do and WHEN that happens.in my case it is GPU getting too hot. nothing to do with number of turns you played(which should make sense...)
i ll give you some numbers.
on turn 150, normal map,standard CS,hot GPU( that means you can touch the left bottom corner of the laptop for some 5 seconds and no more),wait between turn:over 1 minute.
same scenario,cold GPU turn 250/300, wait between turns......SEVEN SECONDS!:eek:
sometimes i put an ice bag on the upper left corner(the ones that don't leak water,mind you) and i can play a lot more before i need to let the GPU rest;usually 10 min with the ice bag on it will let me turn a 5 hrs boring game into a 2 and a half experience.
i hope this can help some of you guys to get a better experience of the game.
am going to try a large map,just to see how it goes and let you know

I do something similar with my mid-range desktop.. I have one small exterior fan pulling hot air out of the back of the case, and another small fan blowing cooooooold air (buffered by a large blue ice cube) into the main intake vent. I also tend to turn the AC in my house down a bit on nights when I know I'll be pulling a marathon.

The result: much fewer heat-related artifacts and a CPU that's cooler by about 10 degrees. I give the computer a ten-minute break every three hours or so, and I'm now able to have 12-hour marathon games easily.

I love really long games, and hate having to start over in the middle, so my serious games tend to be ones that test my hardware. But this has been a very good temporary solution.. until I can buy a new rig this Autumn..

What's your CPU speed? (mine is pretty terrible at 2.6 GHz). If you can cool your CPU down you can see if you can overclock to get faster turn times.

What's your CPU speed? (mine is pretty terrible at 2.6 GHz). If you can cool your CPU down you can see if you can overclock to get faster turn times.

@2.4,worse than yours it seems,but there's sort of a hp built in overboost that when conditions are met takes it to @2.8 (when sysyem is cold).
and no, i can't get system to stay cool,just slow increasing heat down so no oc for me;given div6 TERRIBLE DESIGN to clean fans (one has to COMPLETELY disassemble the damn thing to reach the fan) i think i'll sell this and get a better designed one.

Top Bottom