[Suggestion] Withdrawing from the World Congress

mrtauntaun

Chieftain
Hello everybody. I am enjoying BNW quite a bit, and I am finding Diplomacy and Culture a lot more fun to play. I rather like the role of Liberator for captured city states, but I digress.

I submit there should be an option to withdraw from the World Congress. There is no real world precedent for forcing a nation to be a member of a global organization. There are numerous incentives and harsh penalties for abstaining, but you can do so at your own peril. We saw this quite a bit with the UNs predecessor, the League of Nations.

Pros :thumbsup: and Cons :thumbsdown: if you withdraw:

- :thumbsup:: You are no longer affected by the WCs resolutions
- :thumbsup:: Items banned by the WC are now more valuable (black market/contraband). Perhaps additional +2 :c5happy:? Able to trade w/o diplomatic penalty?
- :thumbsup:: Diplomatic bonus with other non-WC civs
- :thumbsdown:: Unable to rise above Friend with any City State
- :thumbsdown:: Massive diplomatic penalty with all major WC members/civs
- :thumbsdown:: Can only be readmitted if all members vote it so (a special election like when changing hosts)
- :thumbsdown:: Permanent -1 delegate count (if readmitted) for each time you have withdrawn. Minimum 0 delegates.
- :thumbsdown:: (minor) +:c5unhappy: if there are more WC civs than non WC civs.
- :thumbsdown:: If the WC does not have >1 or 2? members, it is dissolved.

I would also like to see a resolution to be able to dissolve the World Congress, which would require a 2/3rd or 3/4ths majority to pass. And, conversely, the possibility to recreate it with a similar majority.

Thoughts? Again, loving BNW, just looking for some ways to make it better. Looking forward to your feedback.

Hmm, I was immediately against the idea because I liked how resolutions were forced on people, but I think I could see it working in a much simpler way.

* You are no longer affected by WC's resolutions.
* Diplomatic penalty with WC civs (no bonus with non-WC civs)
* Harsh influence decay with all city states
* No readmission... EVER!

So basically leaving the WC is simply a "screw you all, I'm taking over everything by conquest anyway!" action.

* Diplomatic penalty with WC civs (no bonus with non-WC civs)
* Harsh influence decay with all city states

I like these suggestions. It would simplify a couple of my suggestions. But I do thing readmission should be possible. Who knows, perhaps there was a coup in your country, or a revolution? Perhaps you changed ideology? Maybe that should be a requirement for part of readmission.

Different ideology civs could form their own organizations. Think NATO and Warsaw Pact. Obviously it's not the UN, but communist states could team up. Same for democratic civs. Fascists would be alone (or very very few friends) and would be crushed by communist states.

This topic seems to come up often. Personally, I think that people who ask for the ability to leave the WC are people who want to eat their cake and have it too, so they wouldn't appreciate a good, un-exploitable system. For instance, the OP actually wants to have advantages from leaving, beyond being immune to resolutions.

The system proposed by Cymsdale above seems mostly ok, but I think some WC resolutions should apply to nations that leave. At least embargoes, which the WC nations would be highly incentivized to enact against nations that left the WC (just like in real life).

I'd say:
*You are immune to WC resolutions, apart from embargoes
*Declarations of Friendship and Embassies of WC nations are immediately withdrawn
*You are immediately and automatically denounced by all WC nations
*You receive a special diplomatic penalty with all WC nations
*3x influence decay with City States
*The WC can still vote for a diplomatic winner
*No readmission
*There should be a system that ensures AIs are highly, highly likely to remain in the WC no matter what

But then, nobody would leave the WC :). Basically, you would if you have no friends anyway, no CS influence, no chance at attaining anything in the WC, an embargo already enacted against you and something extra, like a standing army tax killing you. That would happen very rarely, if ever.

That's pretty much what I am saying. The embargo would stay in place, as the WC Civs would still be bound by it. Automatic denoucement may be overly harsh, but I can see that happening anyway with such a large diplomatic penalty. This should be a rare occurrence, but I think it should still be a mechanic. It bothers me that you are forced to be a member of this council and abide by it's rules. If I think the WC is hurting my people more than helping them, it's a good leaders responsibility to leave.

Automatic denoucnement doesn't seem right to me. Denouncement would organically follow from a big relations hit, but a nation should never be forced to denounce.

This topic seems to come up often. Personally, I think that people who ask for the ability to leave the WC are people who want to eat their cake and have it too, so they wouldn't appreciate a good, un-exploitable system.

Because CiV aint full of them and we want at least one right? (see below) :lol: /sarcasm

I was quite vocal for an ability to allow to leave the council (with penalties ofc) and still am. But as of right now in single player the AI can do NOTHING in the council. For the AI the council effectively is in place to make its job harder on winning. It cant vote effectively, it cant rig city states any more and will only try to buy a couple of cities during the count down for leader elections. It wont even try to promote its own dominant (number of civs following it) ideology as a world one.

As it is this a MP only feature and while it needs a bail out mechanic in single player it needs a complete overhaul not just a leave me alone option.

Cake has nothing to do with it. I just like options. And there is no such thing as a mandatory global organization.

Top Bottom