Is there any way to change victory conditions mid-game?

Lochlann

Warlord
(By fiddling with the .xml files, or other files, I mean. Obviously not from within the game.)

I'm about halfway through my first BNW game, and I'm finding that I'm drawing close to a Cultural victory without meaning to. (Only on Prince level; nothing to write home about.) It's a huge/marathon game, and I've got quite a bit of time invested in it; I'd like to disable the VC in order to see it through. Without resorting to the post-victory "Just one more turn..." option, I mean, which somehow always kills it for me.

Is there any way to do this?

what? I think the victory conditions are hard-coded. Just sell all your culture and tourism building and trade all artwork away

You can continue to play if you acheive victory.
Yeah, but that just feels...empty, somehow. I've tried it many a time. Somehow knowing that the "real" game is over cheapens the experience, and I'm never able to sustain such playthroughs. It's all in my head, of course, I know. Need for external validation of experience and all that. heh.

Glassmage said:
what? I think the victory conditions are hard-coded. Just sell all your culture and tourism building and trade all artwork away
Well, you can pick and choose victory conditions when you first set up the game, so whatever hard-coding exists only kicks in after a particular game is launched. They may well be unchangeable midstream, though. Anyone know for sure?

As for purposefully cutting my civ's culture, sure that would work, but that isn't really in the spirit of "playing it through". I'd like to keep giving it my all, across the board, just without having the (formal) game end at what seems to me an arbitrarily defined point. Like, with vanilla and G&K, you can dominate in culture all you want without being forced to win; it was up to you to decide to build the Utopia Project. Ditto with the science victory: it's up to you when you finally want to launch the ship. You aren't forced into anything by the game. Had I known that this element of the Cultural Victory would be changed, I would have disabled the VC at the beginning, the way I do with Time and Diplomacy victories.

Yeah, that's what I'm picking up. From the lack of definite replies one way or the other as much as anything. Ah well.

It's difficult to say at this point.

Normally if you are doing well, you are usually doing well on most fronts. In that regard, you should be able to switch from one to the other.

If you aren't doing well in any front, then this is of course less likely.

EDIT: Still way to early to say.

Normally if you are doing well, you are usually doing well on most fronts. In that regard, you should be able to switch from one to the other.
True, but not all fronts are the same. You can be doing extremely well in Domination and Science, for instance, but simply choose not to end the game--conquer that last capital, add that last spaceship part--until you've accomplished everything you want to accomplish. There's no need to "switch from" aspects of that victory condition, dismantling your army or knocking down your science buildings; you just choose not to pull the trigger. Not so with BNC's new culture system. Once you hit Influential with all of the civs, boom it's over. (Or so I assume.)

I'm looking for the same as the OP, without luck so far.
On top of that, AI taxes us of diplo penalty for "you are winning".

Top Bottom