Kruelgor's Huge Earth

You´re right. As Egypt I got 1 Horse and 1 Iron, meaning I could upgrade 1 Warrior to Swordsmen and 1 Chariot Archer to Knight, but no more... :(

As far as the map goes, it has been noted before but especially Northern Africa is way off. It almost appears as a straight line, which, if you look at any map of it, it´s not.

More in detail:

- Nortwest Africa is missing the Atlas Mts. (which stretch from "Morocco" southwest down to the coast through what is now completely flat desert)
- the land directly to the south of "Morocco" and "Tunisia" isn´t flat desert, but hilly and mountainous terrain; there should also be Horse (Numidian cavalry) and Ivory (Hannibal´s elephants)
- from "Tunisia" to the East there´s first a small bend south and eastward (Little Syrte); the coast then runs gradually south towards another bend southward (Great Syrte); also this should be Plains rather than Desert on the coast as it is now*
- Cyrenaica shouldn´t consist of 2 Oases, but of Plains and inland (southward), Hills and Forest (it was a forested region in ancient times, not like today)
- from Cyrenaica again the coast goes gradually south until it reaches the Nile delta (which is a slight bend northward, but to the south of the Great Syrte); again this coast should be Plains rather than Desert*
- also the isle of Crete could easily be stretched to 2 tiles (instead of 1).

* There several towns on the coast between "Tunisia" and the Nile delta, like Sabratha, Leptis Magna, Ptolemais and Cyrene.

Finally, since you have the stretched out North Africa, it´d be easy to insert the Sinai Desert between the Nile and Israel.

In Southern Africa the Namib Desert is missing (directly above "South Africa"); instead there´s a forested area.
Gems 4SE-1SW of Delhi (Kollur Mine, you have heard of Hope Diamond right?)
Gems 4E of Persepolis (Afghani Lapis Lazuli)
Gold 4SW-3SE of Delhi which is 1NW Ivory (Kolar gold fields, mined over seven thousand years)
Iron in Southern Eastern India, wootz steel
Cotton in India (indigenous plant)
Iron in SW India (truly massive deposits)
India needs cows!

Just focusing on South Asia ATM

PS could you post the file online

Is anyone else completely unable to download through the in-game mod browser? I go to Browse -> Online, and regardless of if I click a category or do a search, it fails to return any results.

Cotton in India (indigenous plant)

Thanks for all your info there. Some resources have, of course, been modified for balancing purposes. Also, just because a resource may exist in a nation, it's output may not be enough to justify including it in the game. For example, India's trade export for cotton is ranked #33 in the world at a mere 50,000 bales compared to say the United State's 12,000,000 bales http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/agr_cot_exp-agriculture-cotton-exports Of course, there are a few other factors involved but for simplicity purposes the map is more based on trade export data and lesser weight given for actual x-y resource latitude/longitude location.

Because cotton nowadays is for a large part replaced by other (mostly synthetic) fabrics, which in turn can be attributed to the industrial revolution and mass production; but traditionally, and over a long period of time in history, India (and for instance Egypt), was a substantial exporter of cotton.

Anywho, export has little bearing on the availability of a resource in a certain region. It should be available first; whether who whoever controls it, decides to trade it, is another matter. If it´s not there in the first place, you can´t trade it - which is what you´re doing by not placing a resource where it should be present.

Because cotton nowadays is for a large part replaced by other (mostly synthetic) fabrics, which in turn can be attributed to the industrial revolution and mass production; but traditionally, and over a long period of time in history, India (and for instance Egypt), was a substantial exporter of cotton.

This is true, it's also true for diamond production. In my research I discovered that synthetic diamond production is huge in many places particularly in Israel, so in that case I had to be careful looking at world data.

In the end, it's a game, not a 100% accurate simulator.

Right. I considered it.

If there's lots of more people who want horses there I can add them.

If you're going for realism you should definitely add horses to the American midwest. The Comanche in particular had a culture that was strongly integrated with the wild horse population and were very skilled horseback riders. I don't know what is and isn't possible with the mod engine, but you might give barbarian camps in the mid/southwest access to horsemen to balance out adding the resource and to represent those tribes.

If you're going for realism you should definitely add horses to the American midwest. The Comanche in particular had a culture that was strongly integrated with the wild horse population and were very skilled horseback riders. I don't know what is and isn't possible with the mod engine, but you might give barbarian camps in the mid/southwest access to horsemen to balance out adding the resource and to represent those tribes.

Realism is always a primary factor, but gameplay is a bit more of a concern.

Also, just so you know the horse is not native to North America. They were brought there by the Europeans. Wild horses came from the Spaniards.

I may go ahead and add horses there since I have cattle there :) We'll see.

Search keyword "kruelgor" and it should come up for you.

Yeah, it doesn't matter what I type in -- the "searching" icon appears, stays for about 15 seconds, then nothing returns. If I click on a preset category on the left, with nothing in the search box, it still returns nothing. It's like it's unable to contact the database. Has been like this since the game launched... :/

Realism is always a primary factor, but gameplay is a bit more of a concern.

Also, just so you know the horse is not native to North America. They were brought there by the Europeans. Wild horses came from the Spaniards.

I may go ahead and add horses there since I have cattle there :) We'll see.

Yeah I know, I should have said Feral Horses =p

Still though, there were large populations of them around the time the first American settlers would have been fighting with local natives. Which isn't exactly 5000 bc, but that's neither here nor there <<

Yeah, it doesn't matter what I type in -- the "searching" icon appears, stays for about 15 seconds, then nothing returns. If I click on a preset category on the left, with nothing in the search box, it still returns nothing. It's like it's unable to contact the database. Has been like this since the game launched... :/

You know what? I actually have this problem too. I hope they fix it in the next patch. The only time search results appear for me is on the very first time I try it. Then the screen goes blank.

I'll post manual download files later tonight when I get home from work.

You know what? I actually have this problem too. I hope they fix it in the next patch. The only time search results appear for me is on the very first time I try it. Then the screen goes blank.

I'll post manual download files later tonight when I get home from work.

Oh good because i'm having the same issue and have just been doing manual downloads, I was very sad when I didn't see one for your mod.

Okay, the files have been zipped into a .rar file and attached to the first post.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, if mod creators are wondering why they're not getting much feedback/downloads, it wouldn't surprise if it's because a big chunk of the Civ 5 playerbase that tries mods are actually unable to browse them.

Thanks for all your info there. Some resources have, of course, been modified for balancing purposes. Also, just because a resource may exist in a nation, it's output may not be enough to justify including it in the game. For example, India's trade export for cotton is ranked #33 in the world at a mere 50,000 bales compared to say the United State's 12,000,000 bales http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/agr_cot_exp-agriculture-cotton-exports Of course, there are a few other factors involved but for simplicity purposes the map is more based on trade export data and lesser weight given for actual x-y resource latitude/longitude location.
That's only recently, India was the world largest producer for hundreds nay thousands of years
This is true, it's also true for diamond production. In my research I discovered that synthetic diamond production is huge in many places particularly in Israel, so in that case I had to be careful looking at world data.

In the end, it's a game, not a 100% accurate simulator.
India was basically the world's only diamond producer until about 120 years ago

That's only recently, India was the world largest producer for hundreds nay thousands of years

India was basically the world's only diamond producer until about 120 years ago

Of course. The world is constantly changing. Mines will be depleted and new ones will be discovered. Climates will change. Soil conditions will change. Nothing is as consistent as change.

Of course. The world is constantly changing. Mines will be depleted and new ones will be discovered. Climates will change. Soil conditions will change. Nothing is as consistent as change.

Then why not add it, surely 2500BC-1500AD counts for something

PS Diamonds were exclusively mined in India from 4th century BC the turn of the 20th century (until the 18th century they though diamond deposits only existed in India)

Then why not add it, surely 2500BC-1500AD counts for something

PS Diamonds were exclusively mined in India from 4th century BC the turn of the 20th century (until the 18th century they though diamond deposits only existed in India)

India has diamond deposits already in the current version (more than any other civilization), and so too will be the largest diamond producer until South Africa can be colonized. As a matter of fact, no other civilization but India starts with diamonds in the current version. It appears your wish has already been granted :)

edit: Songhai also starts with some diamonds in its region, but India starts with more.

India has diamond deposits already in the current version (more than any other civilization), and so too will be the largest diamond producer until South Africa can be colonized. As a matter of fact, no other civilization but India starts with diamonds in the current version. It appears your wish has already been granted :)

edit: Songhai also starts with some diamonds in its region, but India starts with more.

How do I sell diamonds to everyone if I only have two?

Top Bottom