Files for Playtesting

Pariah's Arda Maps

The famous Arda Mod for Civ4 has unfortunately not taken off as planned, and this is to my own personal disappointment really. I had loved to play that mod.

This is the closest thing we have right now. Some time ago I was promised the Arda mod Maps and I promised to make them live on. Here they are for inclusion in Fairy Tale. All credit goes to Pariah, who is the initial creator. The only thing I did with them was make the starting locations and nations random, so whenever you start a game, you get to choose any Fairy Tale Kingdom to play as. The maps display the entire world of JRR Tolkien, including Middle Earth.

Enjoy these. They are excellent and a lot of work obviously went into them! Make them live on. They are here for testing and will later be included in the Fairy Tale game officially.

Download

Wow, they are beautiful maps. I'd really love to play on those maps, however, unfortunately, my PC won't be able to handle those. I've been forced to abandon my game on FT's huge map due to things getting too slow.

I also couldn't continue the game played on map "Fairy Tale 2 Historical Start", which is smaller than FT's huge map, but apperantly, in the late game, all the civs has so many units that my PC just don't have enough memory, and crashed (couldn't even load the save game unless I start killing all my background applications).

Now, I am just playing smaller maps and random maps (Standard and Large) with around 10-12 civs. Sad to see I had to abandon my games; even sadder my PC is old :D. The only thing that is up-to-date is my gfx (ATI 4800HD), though I am sure it's probably already about to become out-dated in very short time. I am going to start looking around for new PC with better spec, so I can play better map, and of course get ready for Civ5 :D

I am really into doing maps right now, so I'll spend today in making a few really small maps of the Fairy Tale world for you. The series of maps I made recently were 80x70 tiles. I could try and pull the size down to 60x50 or something and also include fewer civs. Like seven.

Nah, you don't have to make special map just for me. I am planning to upgrade my pc anyway.

Though it's a bit strange, I played HoTK fine, which has map of 81x81, Pie's Ancient Europe (I think it has size similar to HoTK, may be bigger), or TAM, which has 128x64. All of them have numerous number of Civs too, but I've never had issue playing them (no crash or MAF). It's strange that I crash on FT. Maybe something is eating up my RAM in my PC...

This program might help you a bit:
Wikipedia on TuneUp Utilities

It costs though, and I you can not buy it, then I am afraid to say that torrent might be the only way.

That tool looks interesting, though I've done manual optimization for WinXP that I found in google. Unfortunately, I don't think I can buy it since I live in Indonesia (too much fraud attempt from my beloved country that a lot of credit card merchant flat out reject any CC issued here). Oh well, if I can't buy it, then I don't need it :D

I think I should just remove any of my web developement tools off my PC, and only keep them in my laptop. It's time for apache, iis, mysql, java jdk etc to migrate to my laptop.

60x55, 7 Civs Fairy Tale World Map

Really, it's no problem, Ono-Neko. The more maps I have in here, the merrier, and I'll publish most of these maps I'm making in a Bonus Map Pack later on as well. I have quite a few in there already.

This map is 60x55 tiles and depicts the Fairy Tale World. The Civs are The Collective, Principality, Namyr, Thorshammir, Arcana, Erezon and Krax, spread out over the world. Starting conditions are historical and game speed set to Marathon.

Download

Wow, nice map. You made it smaller but keep the whole map. Since you have a lot of landmass, I think it's safe to add 2-3 more civ in this map. The desert and rain forest is pretty empty. So, adding Yatenga, Angvina, or even Kraxantina in the map would occupy more land. This will be an exciting fully pack map. Thanks for all your hard work!

yes, yes. More civs is a good idea.

Another funny thing could be to create a smaller map of the easert area and making every civ start with equally number of units, one city and all starting tech. This map should be so small that the civs have no place to found any other cities, and No City Razing and Agressive Ai should be the options, Conquest the only victory-condition. This would create a game of war and destruction... muhahahaha :devil:

PS. Theit capital could be named with the name of the empire (Principalities Capital = Principality, Dal = Dal etc.)

That's actually quite an interesting idea. Thanks. I'll try it out!

Not really sure how it would work out though, with unit building and all, but it could be an interesting experiment, if nothing else.

In the latest map you provided in post #27, there are a lot of resources with bad placement. There are some resources are on the mountain tiles, as well, some seafood are placed on the shore.

Also, some area are so full of resources, especially food resources, it's kind of weird and interesting. I have to forgo work on those food resources, and make workshops or mines instead. The cities only need so much food anyway, and there's no need to let a city grows uncontrollably fast without much of hammers. Maybe cut down some of the food resources?

Yeah. That's what I get when I resize the maps. The resources are left, although the map is scaled. That is also why fish end up on the beach and there's an abundance of food in some places. I took most of it away, but it's a bit hard to spot sometimes; especially the fish on the shore. I will work on it.

Yep! I use two programs for maps. MapView is the most advanced. I have a small Java Application too, which makes resizing maps even easier, but I can't find it in the DB right now!

Edit: Found the Java-thingy. Here it is. This one is really recommended due to its ease of use.

Known World 50x55

I was playing VeBear's map of the Old World with the New World and Fairy Tale combined and thought the action was really good. I am therefore going to try and resize the maps of the Known World successively to see how it works out with as many civs as possible in as small an area as possible.

This is for playtesting now then. This map is 50x55 with 18 Fairy Tale kingdoms on it. The action should be pretty good, especially in the Peninsular Area, where all the big boys are gathered. I didn't see too many resources screwing up, but please report all Clams on the beach and trees swimming and stuff like that.

Put the map in the PrivateMaps folder, as usual.

Attachments

• KnownWorldSmall.zip
    17.3 KB · Views: 191
Glad you liked it :D
Can't wait to playtest :)

(two smileys in a so short text... jeez, I'm starting to write like some 14 years old girl)

EDIT:
A small comment on the resource placement. See attached picture for details.

Thanks for reporting. I'll fix it at the final version. I found a couple of clams on land and sheep in the water playing as Crystallin myself.

Top Bottom