Gauntlet Suggestions

I spent like 40 minutes rerolling starts to get a nice hilly desert with a mountain. That's not fun.

Yeah, I agree, it's not a lot of fun. I started to lose interest in the HoF when I realized how important choosing the right game settings, right opponents, and rerolls were. There's definately skill and brains involved in optimizing your settings, your opponents, your starting spot etc., but I just don't find it that interesting, or fun.
At least in Civ4 there was a utility available that would do the rerolls for you and present you with the best maps out of hundreds of rerolls. Maybe someone will develop that utility for Civ5 soon :)

Not everyone can play huge maps, so they are atm avoided in the gauntlets.
But if there is a demand for it, this can change.

While huge maps are avoided in gauntlets, they are required for VVV. There are several games where you can compete against in the G&K tables.

While huge maps are avoided in gauntlets, they are required for VVV. There are several games where you can compete against in the G&K tables.

I know, I was mainly curious about gauntlets. I think some huge maps could be fun.

Not a suggestion for an actual gauntlet, instead a suggestion for showing the results. The three medals get shown in the thread. You can see your own position out of all accepted games, but only up until the update is published. There's nowhere to see the final overall results, unless you try and reconstruct it yourself. Which is doable when everyone uses the same settings with the same civ, but not so much when a dozen different civs get played for one gauntlet. The list of gauntlets only links to the threads, and would also be good to see # of entries on that page, too.

Not a suggestion for an actual gauntlet, instead a suggestion for showing the results. The three medals get shown in the thread. You can see your own position out of all accepted games, but only up until the update is published. There's nowhere to see the final overall results, unless you try and reconstruct it yourself. Which is doable when everyone uses the same settings with the same civ, but not so much when a dozen different civs get played for one gauntlet. The list of gauntlets only links to the threads, and would also be good to see # of entries on that page, too.
If you are on the current gauntlet page, just select whichever gauntlet you want from the drop-down menu list, it shows the results for every gauntlet done :king:

Warlord, Quick, Science, Huge, Pangaea, Ancient Era Start, Austria vs. Arabia, Byzantium, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Korea, Polynesia, The Celts, The Iroquois, The Maya, The Netherlands (i.e. Wonder race TO THE MAX)

Given how popular one of the last gauntlets was with variable leader selection, as a culture victory that excluded some of the obvious choices, I suggest a large size, standard speed science victory on continents with Korea, Babylon, Arabia, Aztecs, Dutch, Polynesia, Siam, Maya, and Spain as opponents - pick your own civ - emperor difficulty.

Given how popular one of the last gauntlets was with variable leader selection, as a culture victory that excluded some of the obvious choices, I suggest a large size, standard speed science victory on continents with Korea, Babylon, Arabia, Aztecs, Dutch, Polynesia, Siam, Maya, and Spain as opponents - pick your own civ - emperor difficulty.
I like this idea! The only problem that I see is that Babylon, Korea, and Polynesia are all DLC civs. They are allowed for G&K + DLC play, but not required. If all three are required opponents, it may limit participation from people who own G&K but not the DLC packages.

I like this idea! The only problem that I see is that Babylon, Korea, and Polynesia are all DLC civs. They are allowed for G&K + DLC play, but not required. If all three are required opponents, it may limit participation from people who own G&K but not the DLC packages.

Not including them however somewhat defeats the point of his suggestion.

Here are some G&K suggestions:

Attila, huge, domination, pangea, quick, warlord
A nice massive race to have fun using the ram. The previous Attilla one was quite popular (counting multiple subs there was 33 entires) and this is that one but ramped up.

Attilla, diplomatic, quick, tiny islands, standard, highest score, emperor
Personally I like the "use a leader in a different way" ones, so attila on islands and having to play more peaceful than usual meets that.

Austria, science, standard, tilted axis, standard, highest score, king
We haven't done a tilted axis (least that I know of) and using Austria to buy CS's for extra science sounded fun.

Ethopia, OCC, domination, king, continents, standard; opps are: Alex, Attila, Bismark, Monte, Catherine, Dido, Harold
This is to really use Ethopia's ability and to make all the war more interesting the opps are warmongers or very strong UU's.

Spain, pangea, domination, prince, standard, large
I wanted one with spain, but all the victories except domination want a reroll until GBR. This one could be interesting because the UA will help but I don't think it will be a reroll fest.

Any leader, shuffle, science, emperor, standard, standard; opps must include: spain, korea, babylon
Shuffle plus shuffle for fun. I included the 3 opps to force people to not just use those 3.

Boudicca, arborea, chieftan, large, domination, epic
Was thinking of a holy warriors fight. Could go for really early religion and build lots of faith from the forests to buy a lot with the holy warriors belief.

Dido, diplomatic, tiny islands, standard, standard, emperor
This is to split the benefit of Dido, harbors would be helpful, the UU's less so.

William, lakes, diplomatic, small, quick, prince highest score
Poulders can make for gigantic cities which is something I enjoy seeing.

Harold, frontier, large, standard, king, domination; opps must include: alex, bismark, washington, monte, catherine, dido, wu, caesar, attila
This is a all out war while exploring the "frontier". This is one I would want always war on for.

My suggestions were a combination of fun sounding things with the leaders, filling tables, and suggesting some high score games (I know they aren't exceedingly popular, but I still enjoy them :D)

Sure. Question on what can be used for gauntlets: can the always war option be used?

Illegal

The following must not be checked.

Max Turns
Policy Saving
No Barbarians
No Esponiage
New Random Seed
Random Personalities

According to the rules, yes :)

Top Bottom