RFC: Easiest Historical Victory?

Swein Forkbeard

Nintendo Fan
Which civ has the easiest historical victory? I just won Egypt's historical victory on Viceroy.

How hard is each one? What's the hardest? The next easiest?

How hard is each one? What's the hardest? The next easiest?

I'd rate the Indian (found 5 bloody religions!), Inca (this is much harder than in Warlords with the presence of the nasty Portuguese carracks who settle Brazil easily) and Persian (the wonder one seems impossible) ones the hardest ones.
I would say the Viking one is second easiest. The trick that did it for me was to wait in Scandinavia until you have astronomy (beeline for that) and found a city in Vinland (Newfoundland). In the meanwhile you should build the colossus (if available it will be veery precious) and raid England before the English spawn. 5000 gold should be quite easy to get and so will the "sink 30 ships", you just bring frigates to the Pacific ocean and destroy the Khmer, Chinese and Japanese fleets, the rest will come :)

My favorite though, is playing the Khmer. I usually just settle Angkor, Hanoi and Jakarta and let those babies grow with beelining to calendar, switch to caste system and see those great artists pop out. The leaning tower is precious when playing them, I've found.

Japan is definitely the easiest. Even the AI can win if conditions are right. France and Portugal are next in line, but they do have some tricks involved. For France, it's settling that awesome production city in Germany, and for Portugal, it's culture bombing Lisbon to make sure the Spanish don't steal your production tiles. (I culture bombed it enough to completely block the Spanish from entering the Atlantic without open borders.) I haven't tried the Dutch yet, but it might be hard to beat Portugal in the map race.

Japan is definitely the easiest. Even the AI can win if conditions are right. France and Portugal are next in line, but they do have some tricks involved. For France, it's settling that awesome production city in Germany, and for Portugal, it's culture bombing Lisbon to make sure the Spanish don't steal your production tiles. (I culture bombed it enough to completely block the Spanish from entering the Atlantic without open borders.) I haven't tried the Dutch yet, but it might be hard to beat Portugal in the map race.

The Dutch HV is easier than the Portuguese HV. You start earlier to explore and you need to finish later. The spices thing is annoying, because the Khmer are always settling in Indonesia. Be the first to settle Australia is also very easy.

I am having a hard time as Babylonians.

In addition to the obvious problems with Persia when they spawn...

I keep losing out to researching Code of Laws, Writing, and Monarchy.

I have even cheated my way giving myself extra scientists and an academy but someone is beating me to them still!

Would you recommend Japan 600 BC or Japan 600 AD?

If you plan out what you're doing to make sure you've got the 1st objective (500 culture by turn 86), Egypt's a walk in the park. Get yourself the wonders and a great artist (you get Caste System from Stonehenge) and all you need to do is spam archers and stay alive.

Would you recommend Japan 600 BC or Japan 600 AD?

600 BC is the one I played on. (In the Warlords version, there is no 600 AD start.) I'd say go with 600 BC if you want to see old civs like India and play a longer game. The only reason you'd ever want to start later is if you want to skip the long autoplay.

"Rhye's And Fall Of Civilization" in "Beyond the Sword"

I want to have some of the stuff the developers of RFC smoke.

Seriosly, I am not a bad player (at least not THAT bad - I think good medium is realistic), but playing the medium difficulty Monarch is a bit hard. Viceroy is no fun because you can rush the entire techtree without resistance. But Monarch... instead of a decent raise, you have tripled (!) tech costs. OK, thats not the problem - its a nice game. But I have tried the Historical Victory for twenty hours (distributed to several days) on Monarch with different civs, and I have yet to succeed. One is easy, two is possible. But the third... I think if you script your entire game (lets see - turn 42 - I have to build this settler so the settler is in place in turn 60) it MAY BE possible to achieve it. There are a lot obstacles. (Is my stability ok? Am I beyond my historical borders? Is the pest coming, and do I have enough troops in my citys?*) You can't play your usual way, and thats good. Only growing is dull, but I think they have made a bit to much features that can hinder your growth.

Or am I wrong and I only use bad tactics?

Please state the difficulty you are winning HV in BTS: RFC, how long do you play RFC in hours and what do you achieve and with what civs and tactics.

* One of my first RFC-games: I had ONE military unit in all of my towns (the rest fending of babarians) and usually one and a half times health to unhealth. The plague came. I lost a unit in every town, and with no units present my entire empire stood up in civil war. Now, I always have two units in every town, so when the pest comes, the first unit dies and the second can take over for a while. Since then, no more civil wars following the pest.

Easiest Historical Victory?
Greece definitely. The only difficulty is racing India for the oracle and finishing the wonders in time. The only goals are a joke. Only thing is you have to kiss rome's butt to survive

Raven,

The UHVs aren't meant to be easy. Some of them (Persia) are effectively impossible on Monarch. I think one devotee got the Persian UHV, and it may have been on Viceroy, only after dozens and dozens of tries. In many cases, the UHVs are a lot harder than a standard type of victory.

Stick with it. The mod takes a lot of getting used to but is worth it in the end. Give Greece or England a try; those are easier than most of the rest.

I am having a hard time as Babylonians.

In addition to the obvious problems with Persia when they spawn...

I keep losing out to researching Code of Laws, Writing, and Monarchy.

I have even cheated my way giving myself extra scientists and an academy but someone is beating me to them still!

On Monarch or higher, right? I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had that trouble.

According to the wiki strategy guide, the problem is the Chinese bee-lining for Writing. I guessed it was the Chinese getting something first. And apparently there's always a pretty good chance the Babylonian player will lose that race.

Having just played the Mayans, I'd say they're pretty easy. The only difficult part is building that Temple before somebody in the Old World beats you to it. After that was done, I built up ungodly amounts of Archers and repelled the Conquerors (whom I later pacified with the Education tech--Yeah, it lost me my Power, but it payed off when I had perpetual peace the rest of the game).

Incidentally, it appears that city flips due to spawning and civil war don't count as "losing" a city for the UHV.

Germany is quite easy, too, when you know how it has to be done:
Start 600 AD.

The problem ist that you have to conquer AIs like mad to win and still lead in techs. :crazyeye:
Germany has great land, full of food. You will have to research with scientists.
The Parthenon stands in Athen, which ist very nice because you'll have to conquer Greece anyway.
There is no National Epic, you'll have to build the Leaning Tower. Make your Scientists settle down in any city you like, but dont forget to get Railroad quickly and build the Channel Tunnel in you super science city :)
Don't use Amsterdam, it always flips! :mad:
Russia will attack you one day. Don't conquer them, they cost too much. Conquer France, Italy and Netherlands first. England, Vikings and Russia should to be conquered with tanks between 1850-1940. Its not a big deal anymore by that time.
You will probably be the first to develop all technologies without problems, but if some other civ is a concurrence for that, just build the Internet.

Dont forget to beeline for Nationalism and adopt Occupation before you conquer France and Italy, otherwise you might get serious problems with your stability.
You will probably have to destroy the turks too. Their ability to assimilate cultur is really awful for anyone who shares a border with them! :mad:

I think the easiest are the Turks. I played in every difficulty levels and each time i succeeded. Their power of assimilation makes them to control important tiles and that gives them more growth and production. In an another forum i read that the Turks had to be moved to Turkmenistan because that makes it more realistic. I am so not down with that. That just doesn't make any sense. The Turks moved as nomads from central Asia to minor Asia (Anatolia), which is now Turkey. Just research Turkish history on wikipedia and you will all see.

I think the easiest are the Turks. I played in every difficulty levels and each time i succeeded. Their power of assimilation makes them to control important tiles and that gives them more growth and production. In an another forum i read that the Turks had to be moved to Turkmenistan because that makes it more realistic. I am so not down with that. That just doesn't make any sense. The Turks moved as nomads from central Asia to minor Asia (Anatolia), which is now Turkey. Just research Turkish history on wikipedia and you will all see.

as you did it, why don't you write the Turkish strategy guide?
http://wikirhye.wikidot.com/strategy-guides
I'm sure many would need it

Top Bottom