Is it possible to win the Next War Scenario?

Virulent

King
I was giving the Next War scenario (not the Epic game mod) a try a couple of days ago. For those who haven't played it yet there is an event which causes everybody to lose the game if too many nukes have been used. Because of that despite being able to walk over my opponents with my armies of giant death robots and extra large tanks, the AI loves to nuke each other to death leading to an game over.

So is there any possible way to win without having the AI causing everybody to lose? The AI isn't really keen on signing a nonproliferation treaty and I have a feeling that they would only agree to after they have enough nukes saved up to cause a game over.

Yea..the AI uses the nukes too much. I used 1 tact. nuke on Paris, and they launched 13 nukes at London. 3 nukes later, the world ended. :(

best thing you can do is build the UN as fast as possible then do the no nukes treaty. it should limit the # they have to an acceptable amount.

all I can say is mass airports and bring 10+ modern armor per turn to wherever your war front is. america is only 2 techs away from assault mechs.. make good use of them.

though on that note I changed the upper limit on those.. didn't like the fact that you can only play with 4. I was america and had to take baghdad from the greeks and it took me like 8 turns of constant bombardment from like 32 stealth bombers some mechs and modern armors to get rid of their 100+ unit stack.. it was great fun.

NaZ

You can win but it is extremely hard without losing to the core event. You must MM and rush a Great Engineer to build the New League of Nations asap. The only time I passed the non-proliferation treaty I hadn't build any ICBMS or tacticals and all the AIs voted yes.

However, on my other games when I had rushed build 5 ICMBs and has also rushed the UNS to pass asap the non-proliferation treaty, so I was the only one with nukes, the other AIs refused (only one accepted) to sign it.

I think this is the only flaw this scenario has, that, and that America Inc is completely unbalanced and the easiest faction to play with by far (they have Internet !, malls, the Pentagon etc...). They should fix the nuclear problem so that not everyone loses so fast after only ten nuclear explosions. The AI is really probe to use 3-4 tacticals at the beigining of every war.

An easy fix to consider would just be to turn nukes off in the scenario. Pop open the XML files and just make nukes unbuildable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Next War has an option in the options window that turns off that particular losing condition.

I think you may be wrong, I just got done looking and can't find it for the life of me.

Which really sucks since I REALLY want to turn that off.

It takes a while for the AIs to get enough nukes to be a threat, and SDI negates some of that. You can try to ban them, but they may not cooperate. But you should be able to get SDI before the AI has a lot of nukes. Tac Nukes are best deployed on subs or missile cruisers, so hunt down and kill every one of those (use spies and espionage) at the opening of the war. The AI won't shoot tac nukes unless they have a good target within range, so don't give them one.

Last, try to eliminate uranium sources. That is pretty hard to pull off, and obvious, but you only need to eliminate your prime target, not everyone.

Is The Lady less likely to use nukes? I haven't noticed any in my games.

This scenario is definitely winnable. I've done so several times at several different difficulty levels with several different civs. I haven't experienced the "egg crack" event yet. Usually I get the UN and ban nukes. As I've refined my strategies, popping a GE early on and getting the UN is usually a good way to ensure non-proliferation as the AI almost always votes for it.

This scenario is definitely winnable. I've done so several times at several different difficulty levels with several different civs. I haven't experienced the "egg crack" event yet. Usually I get the UN and ban nukes. As I've refined my strategies, popping a GE early on and getting the UN is usually a good way to ensure non-proliferation as the AI almost always votes for it.
I was abandoned by the latest patch.

Yea..the AI uses the nukes too much. I used 1 tact. nuke on Paris, and they launched 13 nukes at London. 3 nukes later, the world ended. :(

One time the AI blew itself to smithereens and the barbarians won. I didn't even fire a single nuke.

I imagine you can win this mod, but you might want to pass a Non Nuclear Proliferation resolution. Try getting a diplomatic victory.

I still like the scenario though.

I enjoyed this scenario I played at Monarch. My only problem is that I hav eto eradicate Civs which just launched a spaceship. I can do with one, the other is too far away, I have no chance, so will lose the game however I am way beyond anybody. And that is just when I reach the new sciences, purpose of the game!

Which file should I edit to change the winning conditions and be on Conquest only, so that I can enjoy the game without anybody winning too early?
And can I do that with my current game?

I would definitely love an answer. I am frustrated.

Top Bottom