[Speculation]Portugal

The Shield of the Kingdom of Portugal is the oldest symbol of our country. From what I know it has been in use since Afonso III's reign which started in 1248 and its design is deeply tied to the formation of the kingdom and the victories over the moors by Dom Afonso Henriques (Afonso I).

The five blue shields arranged in a cross pattern represent the five defeated moor kings by Dom Afonso Henriques due to the sacred blessing Jesus himself gave the king when he appeared before him, the white dots in each shield represent the five stigmas Jesus had when he was hung on the cross that each moor king also had (also, if you add up all the white dots and count the middle ones twice you get 30 which represent the 30 pieces of silver Judas was given to betray Jesus) and the castles represent the victories that led to the formation of the kingdom.

While the Armillary Sphere and the Cross of Christ have been used to represent the country/kingdom as well, ithey are not the oldest nor the most appropriate and well known.

Well, I think the cross, the sphere and the shield are three interesting candidates and all of them have simmilar chances of being the symbol. I would perfer the sphere in order to change a little bit the image of the civ.

I am glad that Brazil has been included, but I hope this won't exclude Portugal. I really want to see Portugal in the game, and not just because I have Portuguese ancestors... okay... well, I may be a little biased, but Portugal still deserves to be included. It has been a very influential player in world history.

I have a feeling Maria II will be the leader because the developers like to be politically correct and try to strike a balance between male and female leaders and so far we have 3 male leaders in BNW. I personally hope the leader is Prince Henry the Navigator or John II.

I think everyone would be very surprised if Portugal wasn't included in this expansion. BNW's new concepts like trade fit very well on the portuguese modus operandi. Portuguese not only established a trade based empire but also put in contact so many different cultures that never contacted before. Portuguese influence and culture in other world civilisations can be easily seen in this Smithsonian Institution exhibition in 2007: http://www.asia.si.edu/encompassingtheglobe/default.htm

By doing so, Portugal has made an actively contribution for the «formation of a modern view of the world», and thats one of the many reasons why it should be on the game.

Portugal should have come as a DLC IMO. Historically speaking.

By the way people, have you ever thought about the colony improvement (like a small city that provides acess to resources with less culture expansion, unhapiness...) and how awsom it would be if the improvement appeared in BNW?

Ñow, imagine that Feitoria is the replacement for that improvement... It would be heaven!

(Note: simmilar concept it's being developed by Rise and Fall of Empires Unofficial Expansion team,take a look)

Portugal should have come as a DLC IMO. Historically speaking.

Historically they existed online and could be downloaded? I never knew that :p

By the way people, have you ever thought about the colony improvement (like a small city that provides acess to resources with less culture expansion, unhapiness...) and how awsom it would be if the improvement appeared in BNW?

Well, I've suggested in the past an approach to that which uses Civ5 concepts rather than Civ4 or Civ3 concepts (this sounds a lot like Civ3's approach). My idea was to have a Colonist unit that appears in some Renaissance era tech that allows you to found puppet cities. It's a relatively simplistic approach but sometimes simple is better.

Historically they existed online and could be downloaded? I never knew that :p

Well, I've suggested in the past an approach to that which uses Civ5 concepts rather than Civ4 or Civ3 concepts (this sounds a lot like Civ3's approach). My idea was to have a Colonist unit that appears in some Renaissance era tech that allows you to found puppet cities. It's a relatively simplistic approach but sometimes simple is better.

1 - Haha xD you understood what I said. Portugal had a major importance in establishing the modern world (renaissance and after) and some civs that appeared in DLC were, in my oppinion, less important in Universal history (it's just an oppinion). When GaK was released I was like 80%shure that portugal would be present. Now i'm 100% shure.

2 - About he colonies: that's a nice work of the concept :) the only problem is that i would use a settler and have my city (even with + unahpiness, difficult culture, etc.)

What about Jinetes, Cassadores and Guerrioes?

Perhaps Caçadores as a 3rd unique. I think feitoria and nau are much more important.

I agree that there should be a 3rd UU/UB as 2 UUs/UBs is quite limited to cover an entire country for over 6,000 years of history.
So if Firaxis does hopefully add a 3rd UU/UB then I think Portugal's should be:
Feitora
Nau
Cassador

yap. My ideas too.
1-UU - Nau - early privateer with better movement to cargoships/embarkes units
2-UI - Feitoria - more gold and defense in costal tiles
3-UU - Caçador - Stronger riffleman (even stronger in foreign territory?)

Top Bottom