Moving back to the Dark Side

Jelster

Prince
So, I've just purchased a new laptop. What's so special about that you ask ? Well for the last 5 years I've been a dedicated Mac user, and whilst I love everything about the Mac, it's just too damn expensive. I've just got a Lenovo IdeaPad, I7 CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD & 2GB Video card for £650. That's about 1/3 the price of a similar MacBookPro.

Anyway, I digress.....

What I want to know is, what do I do with Civ 5. I know the new Windows 8 machine will perform better than my 5 year old iMac, so I'll want to move the game over to the new platform. Now I actually purchased the vanilla game via Amazon, but I have a load of DLC, including the latest Civ V Gold & Gods & Kings.

Will I be able to download steam, log in and just "go" ? or will there be any cost involved ?

Welcome back to the real world. Investors drool over Apple's 'significant price premium'. All those Starbucks-swilling hipsters paying hundreds of dollars for a brand :D
Moderator Action: Don't troll around.

You would prolly need to enter some steam security code (sent to your email) for using steam software on your new laptop, but other than that, its all good to go

Have fun mate :king:

Not sure how the Amazon purchase works. From a steam perspective anything that you own is tied to your account so you will get the same content on your pc as you do on your Mac.

Good luck on your conversion. I'm going on two years of using a Windows machine at work instead of a Unix variant for the past 15 years. First 6 months were....harsh.

But its great for games!

download steam
install steam
add the civ key to ur steam account, steam will then download civ 5, after thats downloaded u will be able to play
steam can be run in offline mode once u have it installed

im not sure about win 8. its made for tablets mostly so im not sure if u wil have anny issues with steam

download steam
install steam
add the civ key to ur steam account, steam will then download civ 5, after thats downloaded u will be able to play
steam can be run in offline mode once u have it installed

im not sure about win 8. its made for tablets mostly so im not sure if u wil have anny issues with steam

Running 8 on one machine, no issues here.

i think you can use your steam cloud slots for the mac saves and maybe even play them from your W8 pc.

If Civ V wasn't originally bought through the App Store, I don't think you even had to re-buy anything for Windows. I think it lets you play it on both platforms through Steam for one price.

If Civ V wasn't originally bought through the App Store, I don't think you even had to re-buy anything for Windows. I think it lets you play it on both platforms through Steam for one price.

I can confirm this. Bought Civ 5 once, can play it on my Mac or my PC.

which IdeaPad did you go with? I really need a new computer, but am kind of low on funds. Currently looking at the Y400 and it seems pretty good. Still can't afford it and it's probably going to jump up in price, but still looks nice.

So, as an update to my original post, and questions....

I got messed around by the dealer on the IdeaPad, so I ended up with a Toshiba of similar spec for similar money. The ideaPad I was looking at was the U410, but like I say, I got messed around by the vendor, and I'm still not confident that they have fixed the WiFi issues with both the U410 and the 310 anyway. The Tosh works great, and I now have 1600 x 900 on my 24" monitor, with lots of detail and it's wonderful !! I never realised that the leaders were animated !!!

For reference, I logged into Steam and downloaded everything. I have all my content and the game has been so much better now I have more power to play with. The iMac is now the Internet terminal in our kitchen :lol: Having just completed a nice new kitchen upgrade with a gloss white finish, the Apple looks like it was meant to be there !!

The Tosh on the other hand is sitting in pride of place on my desk in the lounge. And I've completed 2 games on it already.

Thanks for all the input guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom