Poland trad/lib opening discussion

Mixing Liberty and Tradition is generally a bad idea..
I pretty much stopped reading your post right there. We're discussing a certain strategy and how to improve upon it. Not whether you agree it's a "good idea" or not. By the way it's one of the strongest strategies in the game and is responsible for numerous early wins when playing Poland on Emp+.

I managed to keep things in check by using Genghis as an attack dog while building up my winged hussars. If Egypt attacks, they are getting rolled. Wow are those things OP.

I've tried Tradition/Liberty blends - not a fan. The problem is that both trees are aimed at helping you with early-game success

In my opinion civ is a game of snowballing effects. Getting something a turn earlier may mean getting it ten turns earlier later on. So early game success to me IS late game success. This is why purchasing universities is so strong. Get them techs faster which get other things faster. Etc. For me this is the foundation of NC arguments. How much infrastructure is it worth delaying the national college by? 3 cities? 4?

This strategy work well for domination games. You will eventually need to finish that right side of liberty to get the happiness.

Agreed, though some would argue to go down commerce right side rather than put 3 more policies into liberty. Im undecided on post-secularism policies. Id be interested to hear more opinions. Also how many policies people normally have 'spare' before ideologies hit and the freedom order debate.

In terms of domination this strategy does work well. It allows you to get NC out the way early and frees up hammers that might otherwise be spent on settlers if you normally go tradition. This extra build time it frees up can be spent on composites for a turn 80 rush of a capital, maybe even two. Then its time to turtle down until XBs, but with some nice promotions already tucked away, your in a nice position for your XB rush. Come dynamite youve got several armies heading in all directions.

In my opinion civ is a game of snowballing effects. Getting something a turn earlier may mean getting it ten turns earlier later on. So early game success to me IS late game success. This is why purchasing universities is so strong. Get them techs faster which get other things faster. Etc. For me this is the foundation of NC arguments. How much infrastructure is it worth delaying the national college by? 3 cities? 4?

Agreed, though some would argue to go down commerce right side rather than put 3 more policies into liberty. Im undecided on post-secularism policies. Id be interested to hear more opinions. Also how many policies people normally have 'spare' before ideologies hit and the freedom order debate.

In terms of domination this strategy does work well. It allows you to get NC out the way early and frees up hammers that might otherwise be spent on settlers if you normally go tradition. This extra build time it frees up can be spent on composites for a turn 80 rush of a capital, maybe even two. Then its time to turtle down until XBs, but with some nice promotions already tucked away, your in a nice position for your XB rush. Come dynamite youve got several armies heading in all directions.

no this is not really true, if you dont account for wonders, the turns you save in the end must be less than or equal to the turns faster you are to some benchmark.

Trad/Lib as Poland is extremely powerful. As Poland, those few early policies have to go somewhere before you get to Rationalism, and you're best served by maxing out both trees. You get early cities, free amphitheaters (with Tradition only, I find it of a crunch to get all my monuments/cities up before I take legalism), and strong growth.

no this is not really true, if you dont account for wonders, the turns you save in the end must be less than or equal to the turns faster you are to some benchmark.
His "benchmark" is the Immortal/Diety AI that he is playing against. That is who he needs to beat to certain techs/policies in order to be successful mid-late game. So no, you are incorrect. In order to "snowball" past the insane bonuses the AI gets he has to get those policies, units, tile improvement bonuses, trade routes, UUs, UBs, and GPs before the AI. This is high level play 101 man.

Top Bottom