Korea Scenario

You know I was thinking about this and my initial action is Dev Fail giving a way for a very easy Deity win but now that I think about it. It is an interesting way to play the game. It sounds like you will have to actively sabotage this Chinese to make them lose.

Which sounds like ummm difficult.

If anyone wants an easy deity win, try playing as Korea. It's almost impossible to lose. I just spent an hour trying for Taekwon-DOH! - and I failed. Set up on deity, did nothing but fortify all my units when they became available, and clicked 'next turn' 100 times. China had the highest score, which meant we won. Not sure what I can do to give Japan more points. Any ideas?

Haphaz seems to have the solution -- build lots of scouts to be chewed up for 50 points each to Japan:

Short version is China and Korea share victory conditions. As Japan can't take Beijing, it goes to score. You get 5k for Seoul and Beijing and 50 points for each unit killed. I made vast numbers of units (scouts) for Japan to kill and slowed its advance just enough to stop it getting into a meatgrinder in China where it's casualties far outweigh China's.

Well, I just tried this and failed three times in a row. Once (the first time, actually) it was pretty close -- only 200 or so points separated the China/Korea team & Japan; I thought I may pull it out (the loss, that is.:lol:). But, at each turn China's points are tallied before Japan's, so China came out enough ahead for our side to win.:band::gripe: Then I tried it again, twice (reloading my diety win from about turn 25 or so), and didn't even come close to losing. Damn!:aargh:

Well, I finally did it!:dance: I again followed the suggestion posted by Haphaz to build hundreds of scouts and let the Japanese chew them up & get 50 points a whack. I had tried before, reloading my winning diety game as Haphaz did, but it didn't work for me, mainly because I was pretty aggressive at the beginning of that game, with a good sized navy which intercepted the incoming Japanese, and racked up about 5000 combat points. This was too big a lead for Japan to overcome, although it came close. So this last time (my big win! -- er ... loss!) I started from scratch & built almost exclusively scouts. I kept only Pyongyang & the other two northern cities, and was able to turn out 1 scout each per turn. So I imagine I donated over 200 scouts to the Japanese cause -- over 10,000 points worth. When I finally won -- er ... lost -- the Japanese had about 5,000 points to spare.

One thing tht Haphaz didn't mention, that I found truly helpful: Keep throwing the scouts in the way of the invading Japanese, and they can't help themselves -- they just have to swat them aside. Therefore, they get 50 points for killing your scout, but they are also deprived at a shot at Pyongyang or one of your other cities. So in this case it seems that a good defense is to throw cannon fodder at the invaders.

Glad my experience helped wcbarney. 200 scouts! :)

It took me about 20 turns to realise what you say: the scouts actually slowed Japan down! It might be a valid tactic to survive an attack in some circumstances. Sun Tzu would probably raise an eyebrow though.

I do wonder if the designer of the achievement realised that they'd locked Korea into China's score. If this was a conscious decision it is somewhat evil genius-esque...

Got the Deity win without much trouble. Started out like MadDjinn's video except I decided to cut a road leading to Seoul at the expense of a farm. I can confirm that Japan has been granted special dispensation to stack attack Mockpo. Also, that the deity Chinese are completely and totally worthless as allies. Not only do they not arrive early, but around turn 30 I got DoWed by Manchu. With 3 Chinese longspear near 3 Manchu pikemen do you think the Chinese engaged them? No, they continued right on by them. Nonetheless the game was a bit more exciting.

Seoul got nearly surrounded about turn ten and should have fallen right before the first religious spawning. But Oda pillaged my wine and TP before attacking the city. :rolleyes: Needless to say, that sped up things. Sold iron to Manchu to be able to buy an emergency knight since 2 of my 4 were about to die since they had to screen Seoul to save it. (Couldn't buy until one died.) But the religious spawn drew off one attacker so a knight survived. By turn 30 I had a full court press and won at turn 38. Bought a late worker and had a couple others ready to chop/road to finish fast. Landscape around Seoul was still in flames.

I tried this out on immortal and funny things happened. The extra starting turtle can be useful. I never could get much use out of the starting xbow on any level. It gets in the way at Seoul and doesn't help at the port city. Daegu proved to be equally fruitless. This time I tried putting it at Jeonju and cut its road to the capitol. What's funny is that the port city didn't fall at turn 3. It held one turn longer. This, in turn, allowed Daegu to hold one turn longer. (1-turn scout) The element of time was shifting westward to Jeonju, the extra turtle and UA spawning point. Combined with aggressive building sales in useless cities and some iron to Manchu, I had 4 knights in play at turn 9. Jeonju had held, was about to fall, but the religious spawn was coming. The city was retaken with ease and the scenario won at turn 26. Note the loose Jap units in the pic: two muskets near turtles and the stray treb by Seoul.
Spoiler :

Edit: Had 2 workers to road etc. in war zone.

Attachments

• CivilizationV 2011-08-26 14-02-44-53.JPG
    CivilizationV 2011-08-26 14-02-44-53.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 1,709
Does Korea's score add with China's?
If Korea has 5000 and China has 12000 and Japan has 15000, who wins?

Does Korea's score add with China's?
If Korea has 5000 and China has 12000 and Japan has 15000, who wins?
Yes. The Korea (or China) wins 17000 to 15000.

Incidentally the AI gets 2 other cheats. Building units in puppets and rush-buying walls and castle in puppets in a single in-between-turn.

Got my deity win achievement just now - played as Korea and won with 61 turns remaining. Very happy with that result... now I just need to lose.

A particular highlight was watching my oh-so-helpful ally almost lose a city to barbs. :rolleyes:

Another cheat is the AI Japanese getting Caravels and ocean transport for their units.

I've done the scenario three times now and won each time, it's a fun scenario but as it's all about war, it's just to have a better strategy than the AI, which isn't that hard when you learn the tricks.

My first game was on emperor as Korea, victory on turn 38. The key here is to make a defensive stand at a good location, on emperor it's perfectly possible to make that stand at Seoul, I would guess on higher difficulties move it back to pyongyang (spelling?) where the riverline and a few good hills makes a good place for your ranged units. The other main thing is to control the sea, with your turtle ships it should be quite easy, you get some free ones every now and then and used in pairs they beat down anything coming your way and if japan can't get troops from their mainland, you can quite easily run them down. Atleast on emperor there's no use in waiting for chinese troops, imho the AI is more likely to place them in the wrong place and block your own troops.

Next I did the scenario with Japan on immortal which was a bit harder, going all the way to a time victory at turn 100. Beijing was almost impossible to get to and when I finally got a little break around turn 90 and looked to make it, those mongols to the north decided to declare on me so I had to pull back and protect what I had. Lesson learned here is that korea is easily beaten, China far more difficult, I made the mistake to only approach Beijing from the north, I'd guess hitting in the middle first, cutting their supply chain and approaching beijing from north and south is the only option if you want to make it fairly quickly. Rule of the sea is important, you'll need to get troops from your mainland safely, unfortunately you only have triremes at your
disposal, but use three in formation with naval promo and you can beat down turtleships and caravels.

Third game with the scenario was on Diety with china. Quite an easy game considering it's Diety. Victory at turn 58, which I believe could have been quicker but I played it safe and didn't rush things. Nothing much to it but to pump out troops and use them wisely and hope that the mongols to the north stay out of it long enough. In this game I rushed 3 chu-ku-no's to the front, keeping them safe while still being able to fire at the advancing japanese. Stopping the japanese advance at pyongyang so Korea still had the 3 northern cities. There I waited for a long time, holding the defensive line with my three chu-ku-no's, a cannon and two muskets, letting the
japanese hit my wall of death, earning valuable promotions, Nothing beats a chu-ku-no with +1 range and ability to fire over obstacles. While holding the line I mass produced caravels to rule the seas and effectively cutting of the japanese supply of troops from their mainland. When I finally launched the offensive I had a force of amphibious muskets and longswords hitting the southwestern coast of korea while my main force advanced from the north, with long range ranged units it was easy to clear the path for the muskets/longswords and keeping a few knights to
pillage any wajos on the way.

In all 3 games I filled the honor branch with the initial culture policies. It really is all you need for both happiness and money, defensive buildings in all cities and garrisson as needed to keep happiness at bay and there's plenty of enemies to kill for cash each round. Also, you do want the extra XP points for getting some real killer units. The rest of the policies as you please.

I haven't done any game with the forth faction which I call the mongols as I don't remember what they're called in this scenario but I would guess it might be a bit more difficult.

I've been playin' this scenario, won with Japan, China and Korea so I thought let's try with Manchuria.

Found it to be a pretty hard challenge. I've managed to get to the final turn being the civ with the highest score (capture Seoul, but never Beijing) but still lost. Does China and Korea join their score. Can anyone give me a hint or 2 to win with Manchuria?

Found it to be a pretty hard challenge. I've managed to get to the final turn being the civ with the highest score (capture Seoul, but never Beijing) but still lost. Does China and Korea join their score. Can anyone give me a hint or 2 to win with Manchuria?
Hint #1: There was an achievement that got removed. That one was for Manchu to take out all of China.
Hint #2: Start on China early and fast. (But I found it easy to snipe a city off Korea and use it as a base to level up. More XPs on city attacks: Pnanag or however it is spelled.)
Hint #3: Early Chines cities are coastal and pikes swim. Pray for no barb galleys.

Finally managed to conquer both Beijing and Seoul, and winning the game for Manchuria. Thanks for the tips iggymnrr.

... now I just need to lose.

You don't need to be playing the scenario to get the "Taekwon-DOH!" achievement. Just start a normal game playing as Korea, delete your starting Warrior and wander the settler around until they get capture by Barbs. Game over, achievement obtained.

You don't need to be playing the scenario to get the "Taekwon-DOH!" achievement. Just start a normal game playing as Korea, delete your starting Warrior and wander the settler around until they get capture by Barbs. Game over, achievement obtained.

Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Can anyone else verify that it's possible to get this achievement in a normal game? I tried twice - one game where I deleted my initial settler and got my warrior killed, and another where I got my warrior killed and my settler captured... no Taekwon-DOH.

whoward69 said:
Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Can anyone else verify that it's possible to get this achievement in a normal game? I tried twice - one game where I deleted my initial settler and got my warrior killed, and another where I got my warrior killed and my settler captured... no Taekwon-DOH.
I can't verify that it's possible to get this achievement in a normal game; I just hope that you cannot. This is supposed to be a scenario achievement, and it's kinda hard to get. What satisfaction would you possibly get by just cheating your way to the achievement -- this one or any other??

The Korean scenario was actually pretty easy if you play as China - even on Deity.

Just spam ChoKoNu until you stop the Japanese advance, then transition to cannon and musketman. You can pay off Manchuria to avoid war most of the game, if not just keep a cannon or two near the front 2 cities and you should be able to repel.

I started by taking my infantry out of the cities I knew I was going to lose on turn 2 and ordering them back to Pyongyang. Then I slowed them down enough with bombardment of my cities to get a bunch of ChoKoNu to the front line and absolutely ravage them with the x2 attack.

I can't verify that it's possible to get this achievement in a normal game; I just hope that you cannot. This is supposed to be a scenario achievement, and it's kinda hard to get. What satisfaction would you possibly get by just cheating your way to the achievement -- this one or any other??

FWIW I'm glad it's scenario-only as it makes no sense as an 'achievement' in a standard game. It's pretty funny that it's easier to win the scenario on deity than to lose. It's also somewhat amusing that your ally fails at helping you win, as well as 'sabotaging' a deliberate loss (hordes of suicide scouts aside).

As to the question of satisfaction... I play my games as I see fit, and for my own enjoyment. Losing doesn't tend to satisfy me, although I find a close game ending in narrow defeat more fun than a protracted foregone conclusion. If I wasn't so near to 176/176 achievements there's no way I'd even consider stringing a loss out over 100 turns.

Bringing this thread back up for a quick question: Is it possible to get both the Porcelain Tower and Himeji Castle as Korea on Deity? I find that even if I spend the first GE from Liberty on one and get the second one by turn 10, the other wonder's gone. (See MadDjinn's video for a similar situation.)

Top Bottom