Why cant i manually purchase a great prophet?

But it only works by buying the Great Prophet in the city. So can't be done early ^ sadly

Yes a great prophet bought in the city with the MoD will have 5 conversions available to it. I can personally vouch for this.

From what I've experienced, before Industrial, Great Prophets will have a chance to spawn in the holy city once you reach the minimum faith, which increases for each Great Prophet. Those Great Prophets will always be your religion, even if the holy city is another religion. Once you reach Industrial, you can only purchase Great Prophets in cities of your religion, and they no longer spawn automatically. If you lose all your cities to another religion in Industrial or later, you are pretty much doomed, unless your holy city can pressure itself back to your religion, and you instantly purchase an inquisitor to stop someone from converting it back, then use religious units to convert your other cities back.

This is false. You must be in the Industrial era to purchase Great People using faith.

Also, the Great Mosque of Djenne does not affect GPs, only missionaries. Also it doesn't give +speed, just +conversions.

You got it really wrong about mosque of djenne , it does affect GP giving them one extra free spread , free in the sense that once you use it , you can still build a holy site if you don t feel like using the four reminding spreads.

I use that all the time , I used to have a save that proves it but I just cleaned my save folder like 5 minutes ago :)

4. I've read the the Great Mosque does in fact work with Great Prophets, but I've never had a chance to test this. Does anyone have concrete proof either way?

I can confirm that after building the Great Mosque, my GPs gained an extra (free) spread. Also that they can be planted after that free spread (only).

Once you reach Industrial, you can only purchase Great Prophets in cities of your religion, and they no longer spawn automatically. If you lose all your cities to another religion in Industrial or later, you are pretty much doomed, unless your holy city can pressure itself back to your religion, and you instantly purchase an inquisitor to stop someone from converting it back, then use religious units to convert your other cities back.

Fortunately, the first part of the first sentence is incorrect as of April 2, 2013. I (playing Dutch on Immortal) had all my Buddhist cities converted to Islam by Egypt (they've been spawning prophets and missionaries like crazy the whole game), and they also converted enough surrounding cities (+42 Islam pressure) to overcome my Holy City +30 Buddhist pressure. I thought I would never gain my own full enhanced religion (I had Tithe, Mosques, and Pagodas chosen) back.
Then I noticed this discussion, and once I reached Industrial Era, decided to try purchasing a Great Prophet in a city following Islam. Low and behold, the Great Prophet was tagged as Dutch, so I was able to use it to convert my three cities back to Buddhism.
Having learned my lesson, I also purchased an Inquisitor right away in one of the cities I converted, and stationed it outside my Holy City.

Fortunately, the first part of the first sentence is incorrect as of April 2, 2013. I (playing Dutch on Immortal) had all my Buddhist cities converted to Islam by Egypt (they've been spawning prophets and missionaries like crazy the whole game), and they also converted enough surrounding cities (+42 Islam pressure) to overcome my Holy City +30 Buddhist pressure. I thought I would never gain my own full enhanced religion (I had Tithe, Mosques, and Pagodas chosen) back.
Then I noticed this discussion, and once I reached Industrial Era, decided to try purchasing a Great Prophet in a city following Islam. Low and behold, the Great Prophet was tagged as Dutch, so I was able to use it to convert my three cities back to Buddhism.
Having learned my lesson, I also purchased an Inquisitor right away in one of the cities I converted, and stationed it outside my Holy City.

Interesting. I thought once my religion was a minority in the city, any faith person I created would be of the other faith. I know its true for inquisitors as I have generated one with the intent to wipe out the dominant foreign religion, only to wipe my own out. I thought I did the same with a missionary or great prophet as well..

Maybe my games were prior to the fall patch :confused:

Interesting. I thought once my religion was a minority in the city, any faith person I created would be of the other faith. I know its true for inquisitors as I have generated one with the intent to wipe out the dominant foreign religion, only to wipe my own out. I thought I did the same with a missionary or great prophet as well..

Maybe my games were prior to the fall patch :confused:

No, this was true even before the Fall patch. You are correct that any missionary or inquisitor will take the religion of the city in which it is bought, but Great Prophets are always of your religion (if you founded one), even if bought or spawned in a city that has another religion at that time.

Top Bottom