questions for unit creators!

Stid

Warlord
hi, i want to start making some units of my own cos i always have spare time on my hands with nothing else better to do however it looks like its hard work so i wanted to get some opinions of current creators.

1/do you use flicster for the actual unit making?

2/how long did it take you to create your very first unit?

3/how long does it now take to create an average unit?

any feedback would be much appreciated.cheers :)

hi!
It is cool see more people trying make units ans other stuff to Civ3, the community could get cool stuff with people like that :goodjob:
Check the Tutorial Forum, there u find a topic made by Kinbot, somehting like "How make units using Poser", there u gonna find good tips to start create some units. The main software used by many users is called Poser, try get this software, the version 4.0 is not too expensive, I guess.
A.e, I use other softwares too, as FLICster, SBB, PEdit and Photo Shop to do some steps, but learn first Poser and just after them try learn the next steps ;)

Thats is my tip

CivArmy s. 1994 said:
hi!
Check the Tutorial Forum, there u find a topic made by Kinbot, somehting like "How make units using Poser", there u gonna find good tips to start create some units. The main software used by many users is called Poser, try get this software, the version 4.0 is not too expensive, I guess.
Pah! Who needs poser, when you can OpenFx for free!

1) For the actual unit making you need a 3D Animation program, and prefferably a 3D modelling program. You'll also probably want to use Steph's SBB program, a picture editor which can handle palletes (GIMP, Photoshop, PSP), and either Flicster, or Civ3FlcEdit. You might want to check out this thread, which is bascially an array of screenshots, and descriptions of various 3D programs out there.

2) It took a long time for my first unit. A long time. Ummmm. Over 10 hours probably.

3) Can't really say. It all depends on how complicated the unit is, I also work on several at once.

Stid said:
1/do you use flicster for the actual unit making?

2/how long did it take you to create your very first unit?

3/how long does it now take to create an average unit?

any feedback would be much appreciated.cheers :)
1. I don't use FLICster at all! there's a new util by cyber deryk which is much better than flicster and it's being constantly updated so use that instead of flicster (there's a link in me sig :))

2. my first unit? well that was probably a week, although I spent about another week beforehand trying to get familiar with OFX, although it still turned out really bad :(

3. 1week for me, I'm very slow compared to most, I like to take my time to get it right. I also make all my models myself which increases the time need a lot.

I'd reccomend ofx because there's already a tutorial and a set-up. it has also grown to be 26 pages now and there's valuable info on each and every one of them (except for that flame war,.....oh, and that second flame war :rolleyes: )

im affraid i dont have any money to spare as im only 16 but i do spend most my time on the computer - sometimes until 4am.i should probably get out more.in any case time isnt a problem but i dont fancy reading through 24 pages or something that long.i tried FLICster but the readme just went in one ear and out the other. most of it was 'now open this file using a graphics package' etc and i ended up downloading so many programs and updates for them it was unbelievable lol :crazyeye: im check out the programs mentioned above now. thanks :)

lol i did download openFX but when i went to the setup and old problem occured. an annoying popup said something crap about 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem and if any of you know what it is, ive already started a thread on a PC forum about it lol n no i dont have the orginal CD so dont suggest it. if i EVER get openFX open i will use it cos it looks really cool :cool: ive been lookin at the how to make units thread

Top Bottom