The Spanish Civil War

Yoda Power

✫✫✫✫✫✫✫
Not finish, but posted on request.

Background: I startet making this about 4 months ago(might be more I'm not sure). My idea was to make a somewhat realistic but still playable scenario for C3C, when I say enjoyable I also mean small loading/waiting time. It should be useable for both single and multiplayer/pbem. So I createt a map and startet placing cities, adding units, making the tech tree etc. This is all done. I still have a few entries to write, but not a lot. So basicly the scenario is done.

Historical Background: For those of you who dont know, the Spanish civil war lasted from 1936-39. The war was bewteen the republicans aka leftists/anarchists and the nationalists(led by General Franco, who won and became dictater). The Soviets and volunteers from all around Europe fought on the republican side, while Hitler and Mussolini supportet Franco.

Historical Disclaimer: My main goal was NOT to create the most realistic scenario ever, but to make a very playable and enjoyable game. I think I achieved this without loosing to much realism, but you have to judge for yourself ofcause;)

General Information: There are four civilizations, or factions as I like to call them. They are all playable. There are also to alliances at war with each other. That is the Nationalists(Nationalist Spain) and the Republicans(Republican Spain, Catalonia and the Basque Republic).

There are only 36 turns, but dont worry there is plenty of time to play. My latest test game lasted for 4 hours, and I only got to turn 20.

I wanted to have a good looking scenario, therefor all the added units, exept one called "Bunker" are made by Smoking Mirror. The scenario does not use any standard civ3 land units exept Engineer(ind worker), the Tank, Artillery and Flak. I also use a few terrain changes(new mountains, irrigation/farm and railroad). All this results in a very "clean" looking game.

Download the files
Download the units

Both downloads are about 2,5MB

just wanted to add something, Ford and Dupont built supply trucks and tanks for Franco and the Nationalists

Yoda Power,

It's a great game, and I’m really enjoying it. I will crush Franco with the Catalonian army…jajaja

Perhaps I should wait until I've played the scenario afew times, but here are a few thoughts based on just looking at the starting position:

(1) The Basque leader (currently ???) should be Jose Antonio Aguirre
(2) Purely cosmetic, but you might consider using different leaderheads ;)

Now for the "big" ones
(3) Looking at the biq, there seems to be a big discrepancy between the International Brigade SW (a unit every 2 turns) and Fascist Support (a unit every 10). Given that the Fascist Support unit (Fighter) doesn't seem to be very useful (low bombard and no LLB) it makes me wonder what the point of Fascist Support is? This is made even worse by the fact that International Brigade is pre-placed and Fascist Support has to be built - quickest you can get it from the outset is 11 turns (in Saragosa) so you'll only get 2 units from it all game. Why bother!?

(4) I see the Republicans start with loads of International Brigades, but where is the Condor Legion for the Nationalists?

(5) There is a huge difference in production capacity (Madrid can out produce most of the Nationalist towns put together), so unless the Nationalist units are much cheaper, they've got problems...

(6) I also see that the Republicans start with the Capital wonder in Madrid which gives a combination Great Library & Wall Street effect. Considering that they are the only ones who are going to be able to trade for tech anyway, this seems overly generous to say the least.

Perhaps playing the scenario (and am going to) will change this, but my initial impression from all this is that the scenario is heavily slanted in favour of the Republicans and that it is going to be nigh on impossible to win as Franco - the solitary compensation of the Army of Africa hardly seems enough.

(7) Also, I've just noticed how productive Barcelona is. Given that for much of the war Barcelona suffered severe food shortages and persistent politically motivated discord, this seems somewhat unrealistic. Perhaps there should be a pre-placed SW called "Anarchist Ideology" which makes (say) 3 people unhappy in order to reflect the war-with-in-a-war waged by the differing Anarchist factions (primarily CNT and FAI)...

Thats a very good scenario Yoda Power!!! :) :)
but where is the Legion Condor for the Nationalists?

Tweedledum

1) Ok
2) Ofcause, I was going to change them for the finish version.
3) Facist Support has other effects. The fighter producing is just a bonus.
4) I was planning to include them in an update after I was finish. I just wanted the first version to be as simple as possible.
5) The nationlists units are not cheaper, but better.
6) Yes the Capital wonder is powerfull. But the Nationalists advance faster(check the Facist supports real effect). Also most of the Nationalist power is centered in Madrid, this means that if you capture this city(even though its hard) you will become very powerfull, and almost certenly win the game.

Please play it before you judge, I do agree that some changes might seem strange, but they were all done for a reason.

7) But that would make Catalonia very hard to play. I wanted this game to be usefull for multiplayer/Pbemers too.

Yoda Power said:
3) Facist Support has other effects. The fighter producing is just a bonus.
Oops, I didn't notice the 2 free advances :blush: Makes rather a difference (and also explains why it isn't pre-placed)

Please play it before you judge, I do agree that some changes might seem strange, but they were all done for a reason.
I did acknowledge that these were preliminary remarks which might change after playing it (although I'm not sure I would have found out about Fascist Support, 'coz I wasn't going to build it...)

7) But that would make Catalonia very hard to play. I wanted this game to be usefull for multiplayer/Pbemers too.
Fair enough. I can always add it in myself, I guess...

Tweedledum said:
Oops, I didn't notice the 2 free advances :blush: Makes rather a difference (and also explains why it isn't pre-placed)
BTW if it produced a lot of fighters they would become far to powerfull if the other factions didn't have anti-air defences. As they become available later in the game.

did the baque catalonians and republicans fight together?

Yoda Power said:
(even though I've never heard of the book..)

Anthony Beevor's book on the SCW is excellent - very readable.
The earlier one by Hugh Thomas is also good - it contains a fair bit more detail, but with a bit less ease of reading. A good one to read, but best after the Beevor book.

Keep having text/PediaIcons.txt: ANIMNAME_PRTO_Republican_Infantry everytime I load the game even though ANIMNAME_PRTO_Republican_Infantry is in the PediaIcon file, everythings ok in the editor and the RIs folder is ok.

Chauliodus said:
Keep having text/PediaIcons.txt: ANIMNAME_PRTO_Republican_Infantry everytime I load the game even though ANIMNAME_PRTO_Republican_Infantry is in the PediaIcon file, everythings ok in the editor and the RIs folder is ok.
Did you download both files? And put the units in the units folder?

Top Bottom