Island Conquest v2.2 is now available

striq

Lost at sea
****EDIT FOR EASY NAVAGATION**** edited last on 2-8-05

--Post 9 has an additional normal sized map.
--Post 10 has tips that I promised.
--Post 11 has the tiny map edition.
--Post 12 has the unabashed plee for feedback.
--Post 14 has a new pedalicons file that fixes a bug.
--Post 19 has an updated (more flavorful, melts in your mouth :lol: ) script.txt file.

Just in time for the holidays! Version 2.2 is out now! The newest version of this classic scenario is available now. I have worked out many of the bugs and added many new game play elements! This scenario has been playtested and balanced for a fun warmongering campaign that requires quick island expansion. This scenario poses the question: can you fight an island hopping war and emerge victorious? Attached below are some screenshots.
I will post some tips/spoilers in a week or so.

The next post will include the download link.

Here is the history.
What's new in version V1.1?

-Changed Oyster Farm and Sea Epic: now they do not allow city size 2, Civlopedia reflects these changes.
-Oyster farm now costs less.
-Tech rate reduced slightly.

V1.2

-fixed tech tree icons so the arrows are correct.
-Swashbuckler unit downgraded, no more enslavment. unit retains invisibility, though. cost: 15, 2.1.1
-pirate ship no longer has hidden nationality, no longer starts golden age. cost: 45, 2(2).2.4
-Galley now upgrades to Fire Galley.
-fixed graphic uglies on map.
-tech rate reduced, agian.
-added new flavour elements to each player civ. Complete with a unique building.
-added a new tech, "Warfare Tatics".
-added a handful of new land units, adjusted some unit combat statistics.
-added two new bonus resources, salt and shellfish.

V2.0

-fixed more graphic uglies... i think i got them all now. Tech chooser screens are correct.
-Civlopedia is correct
-added new graphics for civil defence, available with fudalism.
-added more techs, especialy in the industrial era. Unique tech: Batteries
-added 1 new wonder
-added 2 new city improvment
-reduced tech rate to the correct rate, whew...
-added a new stratigic resource, mercenaries.
-added new units assosiated with the merc. resource.

V2.2

-bugs ironed out.

Known Bugs:

-city screen icon for brothel building is blank. If anyone knows why this is happening I would like to know.

please tell me what you think.

Below is the link to download the entire scenario. Its easy to install. Just unzip in conquests/scenarios folder. Run civ and go in to civ content to play the scenario. enjoy.

Oh, this scenario only works with Civ Conquests v 1.22.

This is a large file 47mb. If you have DSL enjoy. :mischief:
please download the attached file as a counter so I can make a guess as to how many people use this scenario.

Here is the link to the download.

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/scenarios/ICv22.zip

Attachments

• counter.txt
    22 bytes · Views: 270
Weasel Op said:
You can upload .ace files directly to the server and link to them. :) Would that make much of a difference in file size? Don't bother just for me though, I'll save it to my flash drive next time I'm at the library :D

Well I'm glad you have a convenient way to download the scenario. I tried the .ace option and it only cut the file down by 5mb. :( I don't think a small reduction like that warrents changing the file. I'm happy you are going to download my scenario and I hope you tell me what you think :)

I have decited to make some different sized maps for this scenario. Eventually there will be one or two maps of each size. I am going to change things up a little from map to map trying out different combinations of land and water. In the zip attached are two scenarions that should be unzipped in the conquests/scenario folder. These files are the single-player and multi-player alternate map editions of the Island Conquest scenario v2.2 :)

ok as promised here are some tips on gameplay that I have discovered from playtesting. These tips might spoil game play if youre playing for the first time. Sorry for the spelling errors.... :lol:

-general strategy

-expand, expand, expand. Also, keep at least 2 troops in settelments, you dont want to give the IA weak targets.

-Obtain luxuries as soon as possible, many are required to build powerful millitary units. Ivory is as good as iron until calvary.

-each civ has its own tech that allows a unique building. Examine the benifits of these unique buildings and encorporate them into your plan of attack. for example: romans get the forum, this is a mid to late game building that helps keep corruption down in a far flung empire. The Vikings building, leif's voyage, produces units and it should be built as soon as possible to make use of the units early on.

- expand early by researching or obtaining writing as soon as possible. This tech allows galley production, the first naval transport. Many of the islands are packed with resources and luxuries and island hopping early on is importiant to develope a powerful empire.

- maintaining a culture base is importiant to stop culture flips in cities near culture rich pirate and scallawag cities.

- swiching to a government (I think monarchy over republic...) as soon as possible is very importiant.

-Ignore the pirates and scallawags, instead attack your rival alliances. Keep cities near pirate and scallawags defenced with 4 troops and they probably won't flip or be attacked. The pirates and scallawags generally won't expand and will be weak later in the game, attack them when you have superior assult forces.

- Defense is a virtue: the more heavily fortified an area is the less likley it will be attacked. When travelling in the sea, wait to move ships in stacks, lone ships are great targets for barbarians and rampaging enemies. Remember: some ships will have possibly +3 movement with all bonuses, the point is that enemies have a larger strike distance. Tatic: later in the game, use lone outdated ships to lure out enemies and then hunt them down with your fast attack ships.

Civ Tips

-Portugal seems to be a tough opponent and their UU is dominant for a long time. The portugese carack is one or the best UU's.
-England's UU is tough too but their start is not as good and probably won't be large enough to make a move later in the game.
-Rome is a strong opponent but their UU, while versitile, is not the best because of the other units available with mercs.
-Carthage has the defensive edge early on, use this to expand very quickly and, with portugal, dominate.
-Vikings need to aquire iron and from there they can build very tough military units until cavalry. Go on the warpath!
-Byzantines should expand to resource rich islands early and maintain dominance for a long time.
-Dutch and Japan: these have weaker starting positions and their UUs aren't so great either.
-(Pirates and scallawags: while not recomended... go for the pirate2 tech and switch to pirate state asap, meanwhile build up cheap attackers and take some cities or you'll be outclassed. Settlers are not available to pirates or scallawags. Use the pirate ships to protect your coasts and sink ships indiscriminatly.

Hope these help! If you've found a tip of your own, reply to this post. Happy warmongering! :rotfl:
More maps are coming soon.

Island Conquests v2.3 enhanced is now available on a tiny map! Included in the zip below are regular and multi-player scenario files. They should be unzipped into Conquests/scenarios. The Tiny map is the latest available map and includes some minor fixes. This new map should bring the action fast and furious for all you bloodthirsty island hoppers out there. :D
Enjoy.

Anyone having issues with the Research Lab? My game crashes when I build it saying no file found.

It says it is missing from scenarios/old_sea_v22/text/pedialcons. Sure enough when I go into that file there is no WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Research_Lab. In fact the only mention of research lab is this:

#ICON_BLDG_Lab
ERA
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\researchlablarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\researchlabsmall.pcx

I am going to try and play without building it but that just stinks.

Thanks,
J

bucfan76 said:
Anyone having issues with the Research Lab? My game crashes when I build it saying no file found.

It says it is missing from scenarios/old_sea_v22/text/pedialcons. Sure enough when I go into that file there is no WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Research_Lab. In fact the only mention of research lab is this:
-edited -
I am going to try and play without building it but that just stinks.

Thanks,
J

Thanks for finding a bug in my baby bucfan76!
so when it was built the game crashes right... I will have to check into and fix the prob.
OK the problem was: no mention of a wondersplash file for the research lab...
Attached is the new pedalicons.txt file. Put the file in the v22/text folder, where the other files to this scenario are, and copy over the old file. This should make the research lab buildable and your saved games will still be playable! :D This should fix this problem in any and all versions of this scenario. Sorry about this ppl, just an oversight on my part.

First, thanks that worked AND I was able to play my saved game with it....gracias.

Second, why does the Portugese Carrack "downgrade" to Galleon? And then after Galleon comes along you can no longer build the Carrack - why? The Carrack is a much better ship than the Galleon due to the Carracks 3 attack power.

Just curious.....

Thanks,
J

bucfan76 said:
Second, why does the Portugese Carrack "downgrade" to Galleon? And then after Galleon comes along you can no longer build the Carrack - why? The Carrack is a much better ship than the Galleon due to the Carracks 3 attack power.

Just curious.....

Thanks,
J

The reason for this is that it is an error on my part. The Portugese Carrack shouldn't upgrade in a perfect world. I cought this error after I released the last timy map. Changing it would make old save games not work... :( I thought human players would be smart enough not to upgrade them (come on, you play civ so you can't be a complete moron). To answer your other question, you can't build them after galleons are buildable because the game thinks they are oblelete units. Same reason you can't build archers after longbowmen.
In new releases this will be fixed.

Striq,

I am playing Portugal, have conquered most of Rome. Two and only two of my conquered Roman cities are able to build the small wonder Tale of Gilgamesh, but NO other city? Why? The Civlopedia does not state any special need for it to be built.

Love this scenario.....

J

bucfan76 said:
Striq,

I am playing Portugal, have conquered most of Rome. Two and only two of my conquered Roman cities are able to build the small wonder Tale of Gilgamesh, but NO other city? Why? The Civlopedia does not state any special need for it to be built.

Love this scenario.....

J

The problem here is that the tale of gilgamesh provides some defensive combat bonuses. This is another porblem that you have found and I thought I fixed this one when i fixed the brothel issue (the same problem). You will only be able to *begin* building the Tale of Gilgamesh in a city that is size 6 or below and also that has not built walls yet. The fix for this problem would render old saved gamed obselete :(
Hope this helps, you'll just have to cope, man. :smoke: I am making a list of things I need to fix and in the new maps I will include any bug fixes that have been discovered. Agian, sorry for this.
Thanks for playing the scenario and I'm glad you find it amusing. :goodjob:
Why don't you post a screenshot of your game?

Attached is a new script file for all versions of Island Conquest. The changes in this version are that all technologies now include comments from the science advisor when they are available for research. This will not harm old saved games so don't worry. ;) To install, just unzip into the conquests/scenario/old_sea_v22/text directory and over-write the old script file and play the game as normal. Special thanks to those who helped me get this file in good working order, Thank you!

Top Bottom